Motorhome Campground suggestions central, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bchristo

Taking family to Fl on spring break. Suggestions for central Fl campgrounds appreciated. 37ft Winnebago Journey. the girls want Clearwater...I heard De SOTO was good but I can't seem to get a reservation. Leaving April 3 2010. Thanks

Most of the RV parks in the Tampa St Pete's area cater to longer term snowbirds.  There is a KOA in St Petersburg that some like, but we prefer a little park at Gandy & Hwy 19 called Roberts Rv & Mobile Park, here is their link:  www.robertsrv.com  I would suggest calling as opposed to email, it is clean, centrally located and about 15 minutes from the beach, or 25 minutes from Fort DeSoto. 

How old are the kids? Tampa/St Pete area (other than Ft DeSoto) is pretty much for geezers. Try the Orlando area or over in the Daytona area. Also Jetty Park in Port Canaveral which is pretty much on the beach. Jetty Park

My girls are 15 and 16. So they pretty much want to go somewhere to get Sun and See and be Seen by boys.  :0/  They have some friends going to the clearwater beach area that's why I thought somewhere around there...But I kind of like the idea of West side Orlando and drive to beach a couple days. Thanks

Ft. Desoto is a Pinellas County  campground.  Many sites are pull throughs and large. It's right on the water which is nice. Check out this site for more info: http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_Desoto.htm. Reservations could be difficult at that time.

There is little doubt that the beaches on the gulf side are much nicer than on the Atlantic side.  You will be an hour and a half without any appreciable traffic from Orlando to Fort DeSoto.  On the other hand, other than Clearwater Beach,and maybe the odd day at Fort DESoto it is pretty well AK's (translated old f*rts) who far outnumber those under 60.  Pinnelas County is the leading locale of the 55+ park.

bchristo said:
My girls are 15 and 16. So they pretty much want to go somewhere to get Sun and See and be Seen by boys.  :0/  They have some friends going to the clearwater beach area that's why I thought somewhere around there...But I kind of like the idea of West side Orlando and drive to beach a couple days. Thanks

They won't see or be seen by many boys at Ft. Desoto. As Bruce mentioned, there's Daytona and Cocoa Beach on the East Coast. If you try to stay in the Titusville area you will encounter the least amount of traffic. Cocoa Beach is about 20 minutes south of Titusville. Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral would be an excellent spot as well. It's right next to the port and you will see the ships leaving several evenings during the week. There are also several nice restaurants on the water near Jetty Park.

Daytona Beach is north about an hour. There should be plenty for the girls to do there. Not sure about the campground situation in Daytona. I only visit there on the motorcycle.:)

The Gulf has very calm waters. Not much in the way of waves. The Atlantic side has nice surf action for the more adventurous. One must be aware of weather conditions as there can be rip tides occasionally.

As an East Orlando resident I can add a confident vote for Jetty Park. Clearwater Beaches ARE awesome, but as stated earlier the campgrounds are going to be older crowds.  Have you considered Fort Wilderness at Disney? Your girls could do the Park/Attractions/water parks and the campground is great for all ages. (Worth bringing bikes/golf cart to Ft. Wilderness FYI)

I've been finding out that Tampa area is pretty much for the snowbirds, there is Busch gardens and the beaches are nice but campgrounds limit stays for 18 and younger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom