resale value popup campers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulkcbulm

After my first RV experience travelling in an RV which was a great experience I would like to buy a popup truckcamper and a truck as well. Search for a preowned one showed that there are very few around. Buying new and then resell after some years will probably be costly.
I would prefer popup camper which would fit on a smaller truck like a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier or Dodge Dakota (like Northstar MC600, 600SS) and would consider also a popup camper like Northstar TC800 for a fullsize truck.

What are the resale values for these slide in popup campers compared to new price, which manufacturer is recommended?

What is your recommendation?

Paul

The NADA price Guides will give you both the used price range and the original MSRP when new for many brands of RV, including truck campers.

The resale is about the same as any RV.  You will lose initially.  The fact you are having trouble finding a used one can be to your benefit when you sell, rare things command more money.

If you don't have the truck yet, anything will fit.  Do some research, look at te campers when you can, decide if the pop-upp is the way to go.  If so, find the right one and get a truck to fit. 

PancakeBill said:
The resale is about the same as any RV.  You will lose initially.  The fact you are having trouble finding a used one can be to your benefit when you sell, rare things command more money.

If you don't have the truck yet, anything will fit.  Do some research, look at te campers when you can, decide if the pop-upp is the way to go.  If so, find the right one and get a truck to fit. 

I have done some reearch and would like to get a camper which would fit also for Europe. I live in Switzerland and want to tour in the US 3 to 5 times for some years but then take the truck and camper over to Europe. It is difficult to do the research from here as all is theoretical, I can not go to a weigh station and measure but have to select what will fit. I want a popup camper and as mentioned above, Northstar TC800 which would fit on a F-250 exctended cab short bed but this truck is more than 3.5 tons, so for Europe I am not sure if this can be imported.

The 600SS sould fit on a Dodge Dakota. Going through the different posts in this forum I see that the GVWR and GAWR of the truck are setting the limits. I can see the dry weight of the camper but can not figure out how much additional weight would need to be calculated for wet load and persons and gear. I also saw that additional overload springs or stabilizer bars may be necessary.

I have selected one combination (see links below) I think it should work but I am not certain.  Can you help on this?

http://www.northstarcampers.com/600SS.asp

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2002_Dodge_Dakota_102881867_3

Thanks

Paul

Why not buy one of the cool euro units and bring it here then back?  I saw a few while working in Yellowstone. 

Paul,

I think the Dodge Dakota is a fine truck for overall use, and there are a few different camper models which will fit it.

However, when you go to Europe, unless you are willing to wait for parts to be shipped from the U.S., a Dakota would be difficult to get serviced outside of North America.  I don't believe they've ever been sold outside the U.S., Canada and possibly Mexico, except for a couple of years during Daimler's ownership when Dakotas were built somewhere in South America ... maybe Argentina???

Check out this little truck.  It's built in India by Mahindra, and they have been building and selling tractors -- good, quality-built tractors at that -- here in the U.S. for a few years now.  My understanding is that they're going on sale here in the U.S. sometime after the first of the new year.  If their trucks are as good as their tractors, and deliver on the promises of reasonable price, good payload (I think it's around 2,700 pounds!?), good fuel economy (30 MPG, it's a diesel) and 4WD, well, I could see it being a big seller.

This Mahindra seems  interesting, thank you. I have never heard of it and I don't think it is sold over here.

Having a set over and back here cost a lot of money and considering the different options I think it would be best to buy a common USA type used truck and a new camper which would fit and sell it after using. So coming back to my original question of how much in value a certain type of camper would loose its value over the years.
I would go for a full size truck, shortbed and have a camper like Northstar TC650 or Palomino Bronco 1250.

What are the pro's and con's?

Paul

Buy the camper that makes the most sense to you.  You are going to be using it.  No matter which you buy it will lose some value, so look for a new one near the end of the month, the dealer will be trying to make goal, or kick a record, but be ready to sign and pay BY the end of month.  Then enjoy. 

If you need a pop top for the use, then get one, but the hardside have a larger audience when it comes time to sell. 

I know Palomino has some fans, but I looked at them over the years and never became one.  Unless they have made strides in construction since we looked, the floors always seemed a bit bouncy, relative to other brands., for instance Arctic Fox, AlpenLite, Lance etc.  There are many real nice TC's out there I have never had the chance to really look at, Snoey River, Eagle Cap among them.  In other TC forums they are highly praised. 

Here is a picture of one of the Euro TC's we saw while in Yellowstone.

Attachments

• 100_3250.JPG
    100_3250.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 27
Hello,

Just a quick mention.  If you are looking for a used one, I just wanted to mention that I have a Palomino Pop-Up truck camper on here for sale right now.  I bought a fifth wheel, and am looking to sell my TC.  If you cannot find the listing under the for sale items, let me know and I will be happy to tell you about it, as well as send you some pictures.  I can be reached at [email protected].

Thanks,
Dennis

Back
Top Bottom