questions about permanent set up for travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigFoot

I am setting up a travel trailer to live in for a while actualy stayed all summer in it but getting close to winter I am in the procces of burying my water line and all now (did just have a hose ran to it)  was looking for any tips and/or advise on what else I need to do to get it ready for winter and all I am completely new to the camper thing so have no clue what I am doing also while I am at it I cant seem to get my stove to work it is gas any suggestions there it and the fridge I have been using a small dorm fridge but cant seem to get the main fridge to work
thanks in advance

You can bury the water line but still have the gas to worry about, LPG wont flow well during cold weather, natural gas will but you would have to change all the jets (stove,water heater, furnace.) You will also be dealing with condensation issues and sewage problems. It can be done but wont be easy.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
You can bury the water line but still have the gas to worry about, LPG wont flow well during cold weather, natural gas will but you would have to change all the jets (stove,water heater, furnace.) You will also be dealing with condensation issues and sewage problems. It can be done but wont be easy.>>>Dan
    ??? People here in Nebraska have used LPG forever to heat their homes & shops without any type of flow problems.

Our son lived in a 21ft trailer for 2 years (including 2 winters) while building his house, he's on 160acres about 20miles from town and we are in central BC Canada, temps here average -20?C for Jan & Feb.
He surrounded (skirted) the base of the trailer with hay bales, really helped with keeping the cold out from underneath.

Cheers,

Geoff & Judi

First what about the stove is the issue?  will none of the burners work, or are you simply having oven problems?  If the burners do not light, do you hear gas escaping from them?  (Oh, and those stoves do not have pilot lights - you must use the electric the spark knob on the front [or use a match] to get the burners to light!)

The hot water heater and the furnace also work off of LP gas.  Are these items functioning?

If your problem is that no LP gas items work, you may be out of LP gas, OR the valves on the LP are turned off, OR the regulator is malfunctioning.  (another answer may be that the LP detector has shut off the gas - this is a safety measure if a leak is detected.  It may also be that the detector has malfunctioned.

As for the fridge, most have a switch that allows you to select between gas, or electric (120 volts) or automatic does yours work in any mode?

Geoff & Judi's suggestion about skirting the trailer is a good idea.  Hay bales seem like a good and relatively inexpensive solution.

LP gas will vaporize ok down to around 0-10 degrees if the tank is near full. As the tank gets more empty, you may begin to have problems with high flow rate appliances like the furnace at somewhat higher temps. Low flow appliances like a stove or fridge should work pretty well right down to near zero. A insulation wrap around the propane tank may help if severe cold is expected.

You would do well to put some kind of skirting around the trailer to help keep the underside warmer. Your floors will stay warmer and the water tanks (fresh and waste) are less likely to freeze. Depending on how cold your region gets, you may need to keep antifreeze in the waste tanks. If you have a sewer hook-up, do not leave it out in freezing temps - the sewage will freeze in the hose. Dump the tanks and put the hose away after.

How cold does it get where you are? The actions needed depend a lot on the climate.

I wouldn't use hay bales for insulation, you'll end up with a mouse infestation.  Regular skirting material such as used on mobile homes will be sufficient.

first let me say thanks for all the great responses I guess I really didnt give enough info on the situation  I am in east tennessee so it gets cold but not real cold least wise hasnt last few years as for the stove its just oven issues all the eyes work fine and the hot water heater works as well and as for the fridge it want work at all no matter what i switch it to gas or electric hope that gives a little more detail but so far some great ideas and its greatly appriciated
Thanks
Tony

I suspect the oven problem is just your lighting technique - they are not easy to get started.  You need to hold heat under the thermocouple for more than a few seconds or it will shut the gas flow right off again. Use a long fireplace match or better yet, one of the butane lighters and hold it there  for 15-20 seconds if need be to get that TC nice and hot.

As for the fridge, what make and model is it?  What does its control panel say or do, in AC mode and it LP mode. In LP mode, can you hear it trying to ignite (clicking sound)? Does it light and go out, or not light at all.  We need some clues to begin to narrow things down...

Back
Top Bottom