Anybody carry a boat with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I was just wondering if anyone else was carrying a boat with them on their travels.  The DW and I are full timing and carry a 11' high pressure floor inflatable with us.  I also have a 9.8 HP Nissan outboard motor to power it with. It mounts on a special enging mount on the back of the RV.  I do get some amazed looks going down the road ;D  We have used it all over the country in various places, even in Lake Erie when visiting relatives there!  (It was a really calm day)  I just haven't seen any other rigs set up like this, so I was just curious. 

Attachments

• Boat_and_travel_pics_001a.jpg
    Boat_and_travel_pics_001a.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 78
We carried a Port-A-Bote for 3-4 years. After awhile we weren't using it much as before and sold it, but it was great. And in 2002 when we toured Alaska with friends, they carried a Sea Eagle and we fished dozens of lakes and strems with that.

There was a Port-a-Bote on our Class C when we bought it. We used it a couple of times but not enough to keep carrying it so we sold it. It sure was easy to take along, tho. Now we have an inflatable tandem kayak that stores in one of the bays. A little more work getting it ready to go but a whole lot of fun.

Wendy

We carried a Port-A-Bote on our motor home for several years and think it is a great solution to the problem.  They can mount on the side or some people haul them on top or even underneath.  They range from 8' to 14' and do work quite well, usually with a small motor.  There is a 12' unit for sale in the classified section from back in August.

My guy has a float tube, not used so much any more.  We also have an Achilles that we  hauled in a bay for a while.  It did not get much use so is now at a summer cabin in Idaho for use on the river.  The Achilles was very easy to set up but did take some time. It was a pain to clean it up for storage and was not worth getting it all set up just for a day.

Just 2 examples of what can be done to get you on the water.

Betty

Attachments

• P2170012.JPG
    P2170012.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P7200009.JPG
    P7200009.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 56
What was required to clean yours up for storage? I find that mine just requires a quick wipe down with a towel when I break it down.  The biggest benefit I found is a pressure regulated autoinflator that makes it simple blow the boat up.  With 5 seperate air chambers to fill, it's the only way to go.

SargeW said:
What was required to clean yours up for storage? I find that mine just requires a quick wipe down with a towel when I break it down. 

Marty,

The hard part was getting it dry enough to feel comfortable rolling it all up for an unknown  length of storage.  We didn't want it to get moldy.  Yes it does wipe down  and clean up easily.  It does requires you to fold it quite precisely so it fits back the way it came out of the storage wrapper.  We too have the inflator thingy.

Betty

Oh I get it.  I carry mine in the back of the Jeep, so it always has air circulating around it.  It does kinda fold up like a big burrito though!

I have a porta bote 12 feet. How do i store it underneath? Please help. I dont want to mount it on the side, and the roof seems so uncomfortable to get to that i am afraid it will just sit up there. We are two women and dont have a lot of strength to lift it to the roof to often. Any ideas would help. Thanks.

Not sure why you don't want it on the side. Our Port-a-Bote was mounted on the side of the motorhome. It was easy for the 2 of us to take down and put back up. If you're talking about mounting the boat on the bottom of the RV, I'm not sure you'd want to do that - seems like it could get damaged.

Wendy
Anza Borrego SP

We are getting a 2-person inflatable kayak from the Coleman outlet store.

Something else to consider for those considering an inflatable...Lowes has a crazy price on a twin tank compressor. I just bought it for $59. (Less than 1/2 price).

It's 100+ psi, so can be used for our tires, too! (It even came with a pneumatic finish nail gun!) Not that heavy, and easily fits under one of the dinette seats for storage.

Be carefull of the high pressure inflators.  My boat which has 5 different air chambers is high volume, but low on the pressure scale. All of the pressure chambers on my achilles except for the high pressure floor take 3 psi for full inflation.  The high pressure floor is 8 psi.  Be careful not to blow it up!

Sarge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom