grand Canyon in February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrDart

Am I crazy to make this trip in Feb?  Will I have problems of freezing up with temps in the teens?  Will the furnace keep water lines from freezing?
This is a 1997 Winnebago Warrior, gas heat and hot water.  Portable electric heater.  Water tank under bed.  Waste tanks under but exposed.  Likely one night stay at this temperature.

No - don't think you're crazy at all.  Not sure if your furnace warms up your bays, if nobody here knows, call Winnie owner relations and ask them.

For camping in freezing weather, we don't hook up a water hose but run off our tank and fill the tank as needed (when the temps are above freezing.)  I leave the sewer hose hooked up, but only dump when necessary.

I put a little insulation in our plumbing bay and run a 100 watt drop light near the water pump which works well for temps into the 20s.  For the teens, you might need a ceramic heater.

Well, I am at the Grand Canyon right now, and we got about 2" of snow between last night and this afternoon.  John was pretty much right on with his advice. The sun is coming out and the snow is melting but the temps are still in the 30s.  The power here was just upgraded so you will have no problems with running a electric space heater (as I am right now). 

Just bring layers of clothes and gloves and you will be fine.  Definetely worth the effort.

Sarge

Thanks John & Sarge;

The RV does not have a basement or even a crawl space.  Everything is inside except for the waste tanks.  One nite at the rim, and then to lower altitude.  Many thanks.

We stayed three nights at Trailer Village at Grand Canyon in early April. We were only going to stay one or two nights but when it started snowing, we decided to stay longer. It was chilly but the catalytic heater kept everything nice and toasty.  Walking the rim trails when there's snow on the canyon is special. Not everyone sees GRCA with snow. Worst part was walking around in the slush and the mud and the muck when the snow started to melt. You might want to have an extra day built into your schedule in case you want to or need to stay over. FWIW we were in K-76 and it was the most uneven site we've ever been in.

Enjoy
Wendy

MrDart said:
Am I crazy to make this trip in Feb? 

While the weather can be iffy in that part of the country that time of year, it is a good time to visit IMO. We were there on Feb. 13. 2008 and had a beautiful day at the S. Rim - 45 degrees and sunny and, while busy, the crowds weren't too large. However the next day, a snow storm moved in and the Flagstaff area got 8-10" of snow or more. By then, we were headed east and at lower elevations where it wasn't too bad. Basic precautions as described in other posts will take care of coach systems if the weather should get below freezing.

RV Roamer said:
I wasn't aware the weather at the Grand Canyon was specific to Winnebagos.  ;)  Ya learn something new every day around here!

Gary - the question was how suitable is my Warrior to camping in cold weather.  We have digressed somewhat into travel tips  ;)

Back
Top Bottom