Reuse water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dar

We have the secondary water filter under the galley sink that states it is good for up to 12 months with full time usage. Since we only used it occasionally during a 6 month period would it be recommended to drain it and reuse (currently off due to winterizing) or does 6 months of sitting around dry make it less effective or grow bad things? I always purchase a new main filter for the water bay installed at dewinterizing time but am thinking this one should be good another season? Just trying to save $50 when I can. ;)
Thanks

Attachments

• WaterFilter.jpg
    WaterFilter.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 22
We change our ADC filter when the flow rate shows a noticeable drop.  If you drain it and dry it out, I see no reason not to reinstall it.

Here's another different opinion:  The purpose of the filter is to give you clean water, right? Why take a chance, however small it may be, just to save a few bucks. Get a new filter.

I use a "Whole house" filter, (and a Brita picture for drinking water)

I always pop in a new filter at the start of the season.  I don't use a filter that has "Wintered"..   Now that I"m full time I will have to replace on a calendar as .. Well.. the season is "never ending"

I will add there are several types of fliters.. I currently have a disposable activated charcoal in the line.. I notice that when I move from camp to camp and hook back up I first blow some water through it THEN hook up to the motor home (house)

The first quart or so is very very very "Rusty" .. Every time.

Our secondary stays wet year around, even though we don't use the coach much Jan-March. We do not have to winterize, so the water system is never drained except when I sanitize every 10-12 months. The primary filter gets changed as needed but the secondary does not.

I have seen on other forums where they report.
That they take the filter out and store it in the freezer where nothing can grow in it.
Then put it back in when ready to use.

Why not just run some clorex water through it to kill any germsw that might be in there?

I use a "Whole house" filter, (and a Brita picture for drinking water)

How much water will the picture hold? 

Sorry, love inadvertant typos which probably pop up a new word in spellcheck!

I really wonder what's inside that makes it so expensive?  I'd re-use it just on that basis unless there is some "clear" reason not to use it.

It won't dry, and if wet and warm it can grow bacteria.  That would be a good reason not to use it.  I like the freezing idea. 

Up until reading this thread, I have always "removed" mine in the winter time, capped it to prevent anything from "crawling in" and stored somewhere in above freezing temperatures until the next spring.  I have noticed no degradation in the ability of the filter to filter and it still delivers sparkling clear water.  However, after reading this, I think I'm going to remove, drain, and freeze from here on out.  Sounds like a great idea!

I'd worry about stuff growing in it and would want to sanitize it well.  Like bleach, etc.  Where I buy them they are just under $10 and not worth taking too much chance of something sneaking through.

tennsmith said:
Up until reading this thread, I have always "removed" mine in the winter time, capped it to prevent anything from "crawling in" and stored somewhere in above freezing temperatures until the next spring.  I have noticed no degradation in the ability of the filter to filter and it still delivers sparkling clear water.  However, after reading this, I think I'm going to remove, drain, and freeze from here on out.  Sounds like a great idea!

Glad to hear from someone that actually reuses. I believe that I will go with the freezing idea as well because I cannot seam to get all the water out of the thing.

Comer, where do you buy them that they are under ten dollars? I could believe that for the whole house filters but for these ADC's? If it is the ADC's please share where you acquire them.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated!

I think I will just rinse mine good in a bleach solution before re-installation. If I've got bad stuff on it, don't want the critters in my freezer !  ::)

Price was from a local RV supply house near Cleveland.  SANDS FOR RV'S.  Never priced them elsewhere.

Dar said:
Glad to hear from someone that actually reuses. I believe that I will go with the freezing idea as well because I cannot seam to get all the water out of the thing.

Comer, where do you buy them that they are under ten dollars? I could believe that for the whole house filters but for these ADC's? If it is the ADC's please share where you acquire them.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated!

Dar, I  buy mine online from The RV Water Filter Store in Oregon.  They get about 30 bucks for the 50 dollar Everpure ADC filter.

Back
Top Bottom