2010 FMCA International Rally in Albuquerque, NM, March 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrontrangeRVer

Who's going from this forum?  

We are thinking of attending, and wondered if there are other RVForum.net members going.  :)

We're planning on attending. It'll depend on where we are in March.

Wendy
Anza Borrego SP

Since we have never attended a rally due to both of us having full time jobs, I have a question about the parking.  Is it better to ask for the electric sites, or the generator sites ok?  We don't have a problem running our generator (with the genturi attached), but do others run their generators with a genturi?

Ok...that was two questions.... ;)

If it's like the Good Sam rally in Albuquerque, you're actually parked on the balloon field with the electric area next to the generator area and they get their electric from great big generators (and they charged an extra $30 a day - yes, a day - for their electric). There were some regular hookup sites but those were for the VIPs. We stayed in the generator area and it was ok. Some ran their gens until 11 on the dot and fired them up at 7 am on the dot. We usually just ran ours at night for an hour or so while we watched TV. Most people ran them for an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening.

Generator vs. Electric vs. No Generator area - Depends on how much generators running bothers you. At the FMCA rally in Indio, we were next to a guy who ran his ALL DAY and his exhaust blew right in our door. We were wishing we were parked somewhere else. But it was cloudy so our solar panels would have been useless in the no generator area. And it wasn't the generator noise so much as the exhaust that bothered me. Last year in Indio, we were in the no hookup handicapped area and it wasn't bad at all. This year, we're going into the regular area and pay for electric - last year it was only $30 for the whole stay.

Wendy
Anza Borrego SP

All parking at Albuquerque will be at the balloon grounds. There will be generator, no generator and electric parking. IIRC, electric is about $180 more. Generator hours are usually 7AM to 11PM. Genturi is not required. Entertainment will be at the balloon grounds rather that at the Fairgrounds where all the vendors and seminars will take place. We'll be there, probably in generator. Your choice depends on whether you feel the advantage of having 24 hour electric is worth the premium.

It's kind of a pain taking the bus back and forth between the Balloon field and the fairgrounds especially the first day at the Good Sam Rally when they didn't have enough buses. Hopefully, FMCA learned from GS's mistakes. FWIW, there was plenty of parking at the fairgrounds for those who chose to drive themselves.

Also, to protect the grass at the Balloon Field, they require pads of a certain size under your jacks.

Wendy
Anza Borrego SP

Wendy said:
It's kind of a pain taking the bus back and forth between the Balloon field and the fairgrounds especially the first day at the Good Sam Rally when they didn't have enough buses. Hopefully, FMCA learned from GS's mistakes.

Wendy

That is why the evening entertainment was moved to the Balloon Field, to avoid the bus trips back and forth. I believe that the number of buses will be increased as well.

Wendy, 

This is FMCA's second time at Albuquerque. They should have the busses arranged ok.

GS often follows FMCA to a site. FMCA has been staging large rallies for far longer than GS.

ken

Thanks guys. I didn't know FMCA had been at Abq before but I was sure they'd take good care of everyone. But I still prefer not having to travel between the RV and the seminar area.

Wendy

We were at the last FMCA convention in ABQ in 2004.  The buses worked OK for getting to the fairgrounds from the Fiesta parking areas, but it wasn't as convenient as Pomona.

I'm very willing to host a pre-rally gathering at Gabriel's, if anyone is interested. I've other great  sites for any size group in Q, Los Lunas, Bosque Farm and Bel?n

Is anyone going to be early for a pr-rally?

We are planning on attending FMCA-ABQ (Marlene is scheduled for a couple of craft seminars) and don't have anything planned beforehand. Bob, we'll leave it up to you and we'll try and attend.

Any preference on location for the dinner?

Gabriel's has their nationally famous guacamole thanks to the framily and it's a 65 mile drive from downtown Abq. I do know some good restaurants in Q and a little south.

Hi Bob,

We will also  attend the FMCA Rally in Albuquerque as it is Terry's turn to  plan what we do all year. ::)

We can make a plan when we see you in Quartzsite in January, OK?

Betty and Terry

We think the rally would be a good first camping experience for us. It's only 6 hours from home, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom