Bought 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous Freightliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished reading through your whole thread here. I enjoyed reading about some of your adventures and experiences with the Class B.  I am currently looking at the Class B as well ... a 2012 Winnebago ERA. I went through much of the same process as you when deciding what I wanted. The deciding factor for me was similar to yours ... I am a traveller as opposed to a camper. Also, I do not want to have to tow a car behind me.

I retired a year ago and have been planning trips and want to explore as much of North America as possible. I am also a back road/country road traveller as opposed to the highways. I will also combine my interest with photography to document my trips. Since I travel alone ... at least at the present time ... I figure I will have plenty of room. I plan on doing a lot of dry camping/boondocking.

I am hoping to hear about my offer this week ... I am trying to trade my van and trailer so the negotiations became a little complicated and confusing ... for both of us, with numbers flying all over the place.  Anyway, I should know this week.

Thanks for sharing ... I found it informative and entertaining.

Happy Camping.

Karsty

Thanks  for replying, Karsty. I hope you've done your ERA deal and have a good time with it.

We just did a one-day, 14.5-hr. 920-mile dash to be a snow storm that never happened. We did it in our SUV because I wanted all-wheel drive for this particular trip.

We're looking forward to doing more RV trips and camping next year, after the ski season.

Don

Greetings,

Oldedit, I'd like to thank you for posting all the resources in this "thread" and for your comments on traveling in your adventurous. It has given me a lot of insight on what I want and problems to expect, though they seem very minimal. I'll be using your resources during the time that I am looking for my RV.

I do promise to post on my experience when I get to that stage. Best to all.

Camper Al,

Thanks for the feedback. And good luck with your search.

Last week we drove about 500 miles to St. George, UT, and then back to Denver. Averaged about 22 mpg at 62 to 75 mph through the mountains from about 8,500 ft. down to about 3,600 and then back to 8,500 and then 5,280. Now we're headed out to Salt Lake City for a week or so.

Next month we'll head for California and about 5,000 miles in 27 days. Another 3k to 4k trip is planned for Aug/Sept to the Midwest.

Meanwhile, we're deciding whether we want to drive the Roadtrek to Alaska or buy something a bit bigger and more comfortable on cold, rainy nights. We've driven some C's and A gassers. Prefer the A's over the C's and our B over all of them when it comes to driving. Prefer the A when it comes to camping.

Our Roadtrek is so easy and economical to drive. It's quieter and more comfortable than most of the Fords. And we can take it anywhere in the wilds as well as in big cities and small parking lots.

What amazes me is how much time you can spend researching RVs. Who needs computer games when you can shop online for an RV? :)

A search of the Sprinter-Forum for "Alaska" shows that lots of Sprinter owners drive their vans to Alaska. There are Mercedes dealers in Fairbanks and Anchorrage if you need service.

The NADA book shows that the trade in price for a used 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous is almost $33k and the retail price is about $44k. The MSRP for the van when it was new was about $87K. VancityRV.com where we bought our van in 2009 recently advertised a couple of vans like ours for $55k to $58 and probably got over $50k for them. There aren't many 2006 Adventurous models for sale because they'll last for 300k to 500k miles and they get 20 to 25 mpg vs newer models that get 15 to 18 mpg because they have larger, less efficient engines. We'd hate to give up our 22 mpg average mileage.

We traded our Roadtrek for a 2013 Itasca (Winnebago) Reyo (Model T) yesterday.

In the almost 32 wonderful months that we owned the 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous, we drove it about 25,000 miles, including about 17,000 in our first year. Last year we drove it only about 2,500 miles and this year we've added about 5,500. Except for a worn out battery separator/isolator, which we discovered on our first trip, the unit presented no problems.

DW and I both loved driving the Roadtrek. We like the king sized bed. We liked our ability to park almost anywhere. And we liked the mileage. Last month we did about 4,000 miles through mountains and deserts and averaged 19 mpg most at the speed limit. I usually slowed to 55 to 65 mph on the 6% climbs.

As we gained experience, we left more and more stuff home, especially foods and other things we could pickup along the way. We never put water in the water heater or fresh water tank because we like commercial parks where we can plug in our computers for as long as we want without running the generator. Also, the less cargo, the higher the mpg.

My biggest surprises were how much I liked traveling and camping in the van and how quickly even diesel Sprinter vans depreciate. The industry does itself no favors favors by over discounting and making the depreciation on motorhomes look like  what you get from Lincolns and Cadillacs.

B vans are for people who love tent and trailer camping and want an affordable, fun and flexible vehicle that everyone loves to drive. We've moved to a small A to get a little more space and comfort at the expense of mileage and flexibility while retaining the drivability and fun.

I'll report on the Itasca Reyo in the Winnebago forum.

Oldedit said:
We traded our Roadtrek for a 2013 Itasca (Winnebago) Reyo (Model T) yesterday.

In the almost 32 wonderful months that we owned the 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous, we drove it about 25,000 miles, including about 17,000 in our first year. Last year we drove it only about 2,500 miles and this year we've added about 5,500. Except for a worn out battery separator/isolator, which we discovered on our first trip, the unit presented no problems.

DW and I both loved driving the Roadtrek. We like the king sized bed. We liked our ability to park almost anywhere. And we liked the mileage. Last month we did about 4,000 miles through mountains and deserts and averaged 19 mpg most at the speed limit. I usually slowed to 55 to 65 mph on the 6% climbs.

As we gained experience, we left more and more stuff home, especially foods and other things we could pickup along the way. We never put water in the water heater or fresh water tank because we like commercial parks where we can plug in our computers for as long as we want without running the generator. Also, the less cargo, the higher the mpg.

My biggest surprises were how much I liked traveling and camping in the van and how quickly even diesel Sprinter vans depreciate. The industry does itself no favors favors by over discounting and making the depreciation on motorhomes look like  what you get from Lincolns and Cadillacs.

B vans are for people who love tent and trailer camping and want an affordable, fun and flexible vehicle that everyone loves to drive. We've moved to a small A to get a little more space and comfort at the expense of mileage and flexibility while retaining the drivability and fun.

I'll report on the Itasca Reyo in the Winnebago forum.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I like the look of the Reyo myself and would certainly consider one in the future ... maybe. (If I ever get another RV that is).

I'll check the Winnebago section and will be looking forward to your report AND some pictures as well.

Karsty

I'm considering different class-B options and found this thread very useful as one of the models I'm considering is a 2006 or 2007 RS Adventurous.  I too am finding it difficult to figure out what a fair price is for these.  NADA values are much lower than what dealers and even private party sales are listed for, although I was surprised at how "soft" the prices were at one dealer I stopped by -- too bad they didn't have what I was looking for and mostly had new or nearly new 190 populars in their Class B inventory.

Anyone have an idea of on average how much of margin most dealers work off of between what they pay for a trade in, as compared to their asking price and ultimately what they'll end up taking?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan_f,

Good to see you here on the forum and Oldedit's post was and continues to be useful for me. Like you, I am in the market for a used Roadtrek Adventurous. One dealer had a 2012 demo with about 5,000 miles on it offered it up for 89k to me. That was their first offer.

My understanding is there are a lot more demand for the Class B vans for people sizing down. Some of the resourceful people on here suggest to use the NADA price guides by only putting in the basic information and coming up with a price. A 2006 and 2007 are around the $42k and $45k price range. I do see Roadtrek Adventurous for sale in the low $50k range and my feeling is that is a fair price if the unit  has been kept up.

Ultimately with dealers, check out any unit of interest carefully making sure it is in good shape, ask a lot of questions and take notes. Then make an offer and see what the dealer counter offers. Don't be in any hurry or it will cost. Compare several units at different dealers. Let them get back to you. I'd be frank and let them know you are looking at other units. Make them come after you for business. You can always come back in later and take another look and see if they offer a better deal. Just my opinion and I am rather new at this.

Check out the library area as they have very good suggestions on buying units!!!

I think dealers try to get 15% to 20% markups on used RVs. At this time of year, they may settle for 10%. I bought mine in Dec. '09 for about $53k, down from the list of $59k with 50k miles. Traded for $37k with 77k miles last July at the height to the selling season. Don't know what it was listed for and I don't know how the dealer plays with trade price and ultimate sales price on his books.

Greetings Oldedit and all,

Too bad I didn't know what they offered you on your used adventurous. I would have been glad to pay $40,000 plus. We both would have come out winners.

I guess I'm too lazy to try to sell a motorhome. Easier to trade because I don't have to worry about helping a buyer find financing, and I don't have to wait to do the deal.

Back
Top Bottom