Winterizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itascaman

Heading out to a campground this weekend with expected temperatures below freezing. What's the best way to protect the water line from the campground source to the MH?

Fill your water tank then disconnect and drain the hose.

and make darn sure you have the heater on in the coach for the water tank to keep from cracking

I thought some of you might say to use electric tape on the hose or something. Evidently that's not an option.

You can use heat tape but why, if you have an internal fresh water tank?  Just fill it up and use it and put the hose away until you need to fill the tank again.

Had a great time this last week. The temperature did drop into the 20's on two nights. Did as suggested and as camp required, filled house tank and used water pump. It was a breeze. Only question now is how to prevent using so much LP to keep lines warm? If we use an electrical heater then the furnace won't cut on and the water lines would be vunerable, right?

thanks<

It's a balance.  You can use the electric heater to keep the base temperature up in the rig, so the the LP furnace doesn't run as much but will still run and keep your water thawed.  Remember the water doesn't need to be 70F (like the inside of the coach), just needs to be above 32F.  ;)

Can you be a little more specific on what you mean by base temperature? I'm sure the electric heater can maintain 70 in the MH. How would the house furnace ever cut on?

Thanksn

By "base" I mean having the electric heater (I assume it has variable settings) keep the RV at around 60 degrees for instance, maybe 55 overnight.  Let the furnace compensate for the rest of that if you, say, wanting the RV at 70 degrees overall.  The furnace would run enough to keep the water above freezing, but not so often and long to use excessive amounts of LP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom