Hitch draw bar is too low! - now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just had a Reese hitch put on our 2005 Toyota Sienna LE to tow our Coleman Popup. The problem is that the draw bar is too low to the ground. Can we reverse the draw bar to where the curved section of the bar is facing up instead of down so we can get the needed clearance? Would it be safe to do? Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you have a photo so we can what it looks like?

If you are talking about a standard receiver and hitch adapter type of hitch, the answer is yes, you can it works both ways

The one thing you want to be carefull of howevere is how far down the back end of the tow vehicle drops when you hook up the trailer, If it gets too close to the ground you risk bottoming out the hitch and damaging it.

(I had to use a reese adapter in the "riser" position with one of my trailers) 

If this happens let me know... There is a company in Lansing, Michigan that fixes that problem for a reasonable fee plus instalation

Thanks for the information! Sorry, we don't have a picture to show you. I'm not even sure how to do that yet! We have a digital camera but are just scratching the surface of what it can do.

Thankful2BAMom said:
We just had a Reese hitch put on our 2005 Toyota Sienna LE to tow our Coleman Popup. The problem is that the draw bar is too low to the ground. Can we reverse the draw bar to where the curved section of the bar is facing up instead of down so we can get the needed clearance? Would it be safe to do? Thanks in advance for your help!

Most ball mount manufacturers offer a range of load bearing mount heights, and adjustable Class III thru V mounts.  You should be able to find one which will exactly meet your requirements if reversing your current mount will not work.

Back
Top Bottom