Spartan introduces new motorhome chassis concept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Last week Spartan announced their NGP - Next Generation Platform - chassis concept at the RVIA annual show. It's a motorhome chassis with front cap and driver/passenger cockpit built in and also other "coach" design features (water tanks and such). The idea is that coach builders can use this platform to bring products to market more quickly and less expensive (albeit at the cost of some uniqueness).

The Spartan Press Release follows:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LOUISVILLE, Ky., December 1, 2009 ? A new class of RV ? a specialty chassis integrated with a custom cap or cockpit ? is debuting today at the 47th Annual National RV Trade Show in Louisville, KY.

Spartan Chassis, Inc., a subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPAR), is set to debut the company?s latest innovation, the Next Generation Platform (NGP), a new class in RV platforms (Booth # 2024 ? East Hall). Spartan has filed a patent for the first-of-its-kind highline RV cap and chassis design which provides the quality and performance of a premium automotive platform with increased flexibility for fully customizable interiors and exteriors. Spartan said optional Coach-Ready Platforms are also available featuring a variety of OEM options for chassis integration.

The development of the NGP was based on research conducted by Spartan which provided insights into the RV buying process. The research confirmed that the exterior of a vehicle excites the potential buyer and draws them inside the unit, but it is the features of the interior floor plan that typically closes the sale. In addition, the primary decision maker for the purchase is the female ? like with many premium consumer products ? and, not surprisingly, her main focus is on interior styling and features.

The NGP integrates more components into the chassis configuration with an emphasis on functions that are critical to operating the vehicle but that are unimportant to the buyer. This reduces chassis-prep and engineering for RV OEMs and allows them to concentrate on customer-facing priorities such as the exterior design and interior floor plan. By offering OEMs the ability to choose from an extensive menu of available options for the front, middle and rear sections, motorhome makers have the freedom to design a vehicle to their exact specifications, yet still achieve faster model changeovers and increased speed to market for new designs and product features.

?Like every other consumer category, the RV marketplace is constantly evolving as customers look for the latest body styles and new approaches to interior layouts, making it more important than ever to adapt quickly as styles, trends and desires change,? said Tom Gorman, Chief Operating Officer of Spartan Motors.

?The front driver?s section, everything below the floor, and rear-engine sections all require a significant amount of engineering time, but the research has shown these things don?t drive the purchasing decision. The NGP moves the non-floor plan area to the chassis builder, enabling the OEM to focus on the areas important to the customer.?

The final step of the buying process is the test drive, where ride performance and drivability are keys to confirming the buyer?s decision. Inspired by Spartan?s popular Furion fire truck chassis design, the Spartan NGP features a powerful rear diesel engine chassis and independent front suspension. Options including a smart wheel, tilt/telescopic steering column, adjustable pedals and six-way adjustable electric seats ensure a premium cockpit experience. Spartan said it expects to introduce a front engine configuration of the NGP in the fourth quarter of 2010, adding an even greater level of customization.

?In a marketplace where there are more than 100 OEMs, a low cost to enter, and the business is hypercompetitive, products must and will change fast,? said Gorman. ?With Spartan absorbing a significant amount of responsibility, the NGP enables an OEM to enter and compete within the motorized segment with a minimal time and financial commitment. This new approach even makes it possible for a dealer to partner with an OEM to create their own private-label product, something that previously would have been extremely difficult due to the costs involved.?

RVIA (December 1-3, 2009) is the preeminent trade show for the RV dealer market bringing together suppliers, dealers, and other industry representatives each year to showcase the latest RV technology and new models.

See the new NGP here:

http://www.spartanchassis.com/gallery/gallery.asp

I kinda like it.  I like the side entrance. 

The model shown had the rear radiator, but that may be subject to change with a different engine option.

I see problems with the black tank positions and also weight and balance due to the placement of the batteries and the fresh water tank with regard to the black. 

The black are on the passenger side so draining will be an issue unless pipes are located underneath the chassis and that results in freezing problems.

The battreries need to be on slideout trays for access for changing and servicing. 

I'm sure that if I could see the actual chassis, I could make a lot more comments regarding use and especially servicing.  I did those type evaluations for many years on military equipment as well as some commercal stuff.  Got over ruled a lot by design and marketing but the customers usually complained later!!!

Looked to me like tank placement was a modular, or easily spec'd out issue...very easy to move the tank placements based on the bay design.

I like the concept, but I have a hard time believing that the premium motorhome market will go for a "one-size-fits-all" exterior design.  Motorhomes above $300k are, for the most part, a vanity purchase by folks with discerning tastes and disposable income (there are exceptions of course and I am not implying folks in that market are vain...only that the premium buyers want to differentiate themselves).  I don't see that market being too eager to sign up for a chassis that will look the same as all the others. 

Yes, the buyer's final decision will be based on interior lay-out and appointments, but you have to get people inside it first, and I don't think the premium market will give up that aesthetic differentiation currently at work in the market.

Now if this chassis works its way down-market, I think it could be really, really successful.

Jim and Christian, I think you are both reading a lot into those pictures and the limited info provided that wasn't said or implied.

I see nothing in those pictures that would indicate that the placement of the tanks was permanent or anything but a place to ride during chassis delivery.  In fact, I would doubt that the chassis builder would even supply a generic tank without knowing what the builder had in mind for a floor plan.  The batteries looked to be on a tray of some kind.  Most likely a sliding tray.

I would be very surprised if any builder did not have the option to design the look of the front cap for their particular RV.  It may have to conform to the dimensions  necessary for assembly to the NGP, but would certainly reflect the Manufacturers own brand.

As for the exterior design, all but the front cap will be designed and assembled by the builder.  I know they won't all say Spartan on the front like the model shown in the slide show.  Other than the placement of the entry door, you won't be able to tell that any two RVs are built on the same NGP.

Spartan has been in the business a long time and most likely did not design this chassis in the dark.  I'm guessing that most configurations, while maybe not optimal, can at least be accommodated.

I know there is a lot to be done but just the available room is constrained by the design.  i find it hard to conceptualize a configuration that allows mass production in the Spartan plant that will accomodate the opeculiarities of the various manufacturers.  That s a structural frame and rails and limits the coach builder in arrangements.  Newmar, for example has a great way of accommodating the various levels, quantities of fluids, without affecting sde to side loading and minimalizing the front to back effect.  I do not see how that can be done in the chassis as presented. 

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. 

aka Porky said:
Jim and Christian, I think you are both reading a lot into those pictures and the limited info provided that wasn't said or implied.

I see nothing in those pictures that would indicate that the placement of the tanks was permanent or anything but a place to ride during chassis delivery.  In fact, I would doubt that the chassis builder would even supply a generic tank without knowing what the builder had in mind for a floor plan.  The batteries looked to be on a tray of some kind.  Most likely a sliding tray.

I would be very surprised if any builder did not have the option to design the look of the front cap for their particular RV.  It may have to conform to the dimensions  necessary for assembly to the NGP, but would certainly reflect the Manufacturers own brand.

As for the exterior design, all but the front cap will be designed and assembled by the builder.  I know they won't all say Spartan on the front like the model shown in the slide show.  Other than the placement of the entry door, you won't be able to tell that any two RVs are built on the same NGP.

Spartan has been in the business a long time and most likely did not design this chassis in the dark.  I'm guessing that most configurations, while maybe not optimal, can at least be accommodated.

Going by the announcement literature, they are indeed planning to deliver the chassis with working tank systems and some of the sub-systems already in place, although I agree that the pictures are likely not a "permanent" placement...just an example.  Also, if you look the the rest of the Spartan line-up, they don't customize chassis cabs.  They have about 5 cab designs that work across all their product lines, and I see nowhere in the literature about this design being customizable (aesthetically, that is).

I agree they are sure to have consulted with OEMs before going down this path, but I would bet the cab is not customizable other than electronic options.  Quite honestly, if it were, the economies of scale would be gone, and the OEMs would be better off sticking with their current process of building everything.  You could think of this as an overgrown C-class, where the chassis and cab are stock with everything else up to the OEM.  Again, I think that will work for the lower end market where function and cost-efficiency will trump design, but I question where it will work in Spartans typical space, which is mid-upper market motor homes.

I too, am interested in where this is going.  I would love to see some standardization in the cab component of RV's.  In particular, I would love to see a standard metal frame for all motorhomes.  I think it is ridiculous that most class A's are nothing but aluminum extrusions and fiberglass around the driver/passenger.  

Heck, I would love one of those Gladiator Firetruck chassis/cab combo's with a motorhome back-end...that would be something and a heck of a lot safer as an over-the-road vehicle!

Mc2guy said:
  You could think of this as an overgrown C-class, where the chassis and cab are stock with everything else up to the OEM.  Again, I think that will work for the lower end market where function and cost-efficiency will trump design, but I question where it will work in Spartans typical space, which is mid-upper market motor homes.

Well, since they didn't say this would be their only offering, maybe that's just the market they are going after with this chassis.

aka Porky said:
Well, since they didn't say this would be their only offering, maybe that's just the market they are going after with this chassis.

Could be...I'll be watching.

In my view this would be an offering for a entry or mid level coach, one where value for the dollar is more important than uniqueness of design or decor. This is for a family sedan, not a Rolls. Spartan doesn't participate much in that market today - Freightliner has had it pretty well locked up for years.  This will give Spartan a shot at stealing some business back.

Spartan has also reached an agreement to be the sole chassis provider for Fleetwood in 2010 and on, so that will knock a chunk out of Freightliner as well. Spartan has had the high end Fleetwood (American Coach) business for years but FL had the rest up til now. Will be interesting to see if Fleetwood stays with their own design  and their patented Power Bridge platform or uses this new platform in some or all models.

So, would motorhomes made with these require a new class designation -- maybe Class AC?  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom