Battery Replacement time - Trojan or Deka?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greetings, Gang!

The time has finally come to replace the two Trojan T-105s that I got in 1999!

They'd probably go a couple more years with tender care and smooth solar charging, but they finally just won't hold a charge to my satisfaction.  I have used and abused them but also added water and desulfated them regulary.  They truly kept on ticking!

I'm battery shopping, and have found a place here in Albuquerque that sells the T-105s for $113 each.  Nowadays, this is an excellent price.  The cheapest I've seen in the last few months is $130 each.  (I paid $65 for them new in 1999.)  The same place also sells Deka 6v golf cart batteries for $89.  I've checked old posts on the Forum from 2007, and am curious to see if anyone here has had more recent experience with the Dekas.

I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish here.  Any input?

TIA,

That's a great price for 105s.  Here in central Tx they range from $125-160.  I have no knowledge of Deka so can't offer an opinion on them.  I use the 105s in my MH and also in my golf cart, which I use 5-7 times a week on the course.  They are, as you have implied, great batteries.

[In my opinion] Deka (from  East Penn Manufacturing) is of lesser quality than a Trojan. Not necessarily poor quality, but lesser.  Whether it is $24 less is a question I cannot answer. I believe from my own experience that Trojan AGMs are better than Deka AGMs, but I have no experience with their flooded cell golf cart batteries.

One way to get a rough indication is the compare their weights. Heavier is always better in a battery - more lead in the plates. Trojan specs say the T105 is 62 lbs.

Also make sure the amp-hour ratings are comparable. The Dekqa golf carts come in three sizes - 198, AH, 225 AH, and 235 AH. The T105 is 225 AH but there is also a T125 that is 240AH.

Since you ask Trojan or Deka

Well. Deka (And MK) which appear to be much the same) make very fine AGM batteries. but it's hard to argue with

"I got in 1999 and they could likely last a couple of years more"  Not many battery owners make statements like that.. Just Trojan owners.

My choice would be, however.

AGM: MK or DEKA  (Lifelines are better but way more costly)

Flooded wet: Costco or Sam's.. Then Interstate (Trojan's are, again, better but at a far higher cost)

In both categories I feel the higher quality of the top brand is now, when compared to the lesser brand, as great as the difference in price.

John From Detroit said:
In both categories I feel the higher quality of the top brand is now, when compared to the lesser brand, as great as the difference in price.

John, when you do not proof read your own replies, statements like this (that make absolutely no sense) continue to occur.

I suspect that you meant to say..."the difference in quality is NOT equal to the difference in price"  ??? ???

We recently asked about house batteries and the use of Golf Batteries.
  We considered wet cell Golf cart batteries from Costco VS the other brands VS AGM.
Based on our experience with Costco batts in a golf cart, the specs (and the price) we chose
Costco. 
In 5 years I will realize my good judgement or otherwise.
  The Costco batts were about $75 each.

ZuniJayne said:
I'm battery shopping, and have found a place here in Albuquerque that sells the T-105s for $113 each.  Nowadays, this is an excellent price.  The cheapest I've seen in the last few months is $130 each.  (I paid $65 for them new in 1999.)  The same place also sells Deka 6v golf cart batteries for $89.  I've checked old posts on the Forum from 2007, and am curious to see if anyone here has had more recent experience with the Dekas.

I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish here.  Any input?

TIA,

where in ABQ????

As a guy in the battery sales biz, what Gary has posted above is sound advice...

1. check the AMP HOUR rating of the batteries you're looking at - most 'quality' 6 volt GC types are rated at 225 AH's.  The higher 240 AH rated batteries are a bit taller to allow for larger plates...

2. check the listed weight - heavier is better - and an indication of more plates, hence higher AH ratings...

3. I'm not all that 'hyped' up with the Trojan 'brand' compared with the many other 'quality' brands available - IMHO, if they are in the same AH rating and weight class, they should provide as long a service life as the 'T' brand - Golf Cart type 6 volts are all built with heavy plates and rubber type separators to insure the battery will 'live' a long life bouncing around the golf links, being discharged and recharged every day!

4. AGM, sealed type GC batteries are over twice the cost of flooded cell types, but won't last twice as long in service, and have reduced AH ratings...and I don't normally recommend them for RV's for those reasons...it's a personal choice type thing...

5. I see that DEKA (East Penn Mfg) battery lists GC10 (190AH), CG15 (21rAH), and GC25 (235AH) for their common golf cart batteries, and if the 'deal' you found for DEKA batteries is for the GC25 model, that 235 AMP HOUR rating is great, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them over the Trojan's any day!

aka Porky said:
John, when you do not proof read your own replies, statements like this (that make absolutely no sense) continue to occur.

I suspect that you meant to say..."the difference in quality is NOT equal to the difference in price"  ??? ???

Well, I said "The higher quality when compared".. which is, of course, the difference.

So yes. that's another way of saying exactly the same thing.

The point is this:  When you look at the anticipated life of the battery, Torjan for flooded wet cells, and Lifeline for AGM.. The clear winnner

But if you look at (Anticipated life)/(Cost) they don't do nearly as well as other brands.

One of the gear head magizines (Car and Driver perhaps) does a "Bang for the Buck" rating and that turm is so good I kind of swiped it. Now in one edition I read they rated several sports cars. Some of 'em real well known top end models.

What car gave the best bang for the buck?  A Jeep.. Yes, A JEEP.. Not nearly as much performance as say a Mustang.. but it gave a lot more fun, for a lot less bucks.

Same idea here.. Interstate, Costco, Sam's (All same manufacturer) gives much better "Bang for the buck"

Thanks, everyone for your replies!

I called TNT back on the Dekas, and they are actually only 190 AH.  For my uses, they would probably work but I believe I will just get the Trojans.  TNT Distributing here in Albuquerque (505-822-1422) only has two more (after I get mine) at the $113 each price.  Then he has to reorder and says he's sure the price will go up - but doesn't know by how much.  I'd love to get all 4 but my trailer tongue weight is already topped out with just two.  (I put larger propane tanks on.)

I am not an actual Costco/Sams member (not cost-effective for just me), and would get them on a friends card.  If there were any warranty issues I think I'd have a problem there.

I believe I will replace all the battery cables while I'm at it, since there's a battery place here that does custom ones.

Thanks again!

John, you are impossible........................
Go back and read the last line of your original post in this topic.

My reply simply pointed out that you typed the word "now" when you meant to use the word "not".

That typo completely changes the logic of your statement.  Hopefully, it was a typo and not flawed logic.

Your second post simply confirms my point... you don't proof read your own posts.

Just trying to be helpful ;) :D

I wouldn't make any buying decisions purely on warranty policies when considering the 6 volt golf cart type batteries...their construction is very 'stout' inside as noted in my post above, due to their intended actual design usage (bouncing around golf courses)...

It is rare indeed for us to ever get back one of these batteries for an actual warranty situation, due to their robust waffle type separators between plates...I've seen broken terminals - usually due to some rough handling; sulfated cells - due to neglect and habitual undercharged condition; hole in the bottom of the case - due to something rubbing against the case with the battery not being secured in it's mount, etc, etc, but almost NEVER for an internal true warranty mfg'ing defect!  It just doesn't happen very often with this type of battery...

Price increases have been mentioned, and yes batteries have increased more in price over the past two years than perhaps the previous ten years, and it's driving us crazy!  All mfg's are now charging a 'core' charge on top of the product cost when they ship new product - this has been in effect for over a year now, but has NEVER been a part of the business EVER BEFORE!  Sure some companies have always charged a 'core' charge on retail sales (for added profit when it's not returned), but not on the wholesale or distributor prices as is being done today...our company never charged a 'core' fee to our customers, and of course, now we are forced too...

With the prolonged war status in the mid east, and developing nation's thirst for raw materials, have fueled these increases in battery prices due to lead shortages...domestic battery mfg'rs have always relied on used battery cores to be recycled back into production of new plates, but overseas demand at higher price offers for 'junk batteries' have drastically reduced this 'pool' of junk domestic cores for recycling!  More 'new' lead required to keep up with production demand has caused for this rapidly increase in mfg'd battery prices we're all experiencing!  

Sorry, the prices continue to rise, with more price increases announced by our suppliers for the new year!  I'm old enough to remember when batteries were a fairly 'cheap' accessory, and it's really hard to deal with such rapid increases that are shifting into a 'major' item!!

To bad you're not in eastern PA the main Deka plant is in Kutztown and it is HUGE. They have a factory store where you can get "blemishes" or seconds for about 1/2 price or less. I've been getting batteries from them for years.

Deka batteries have always been great for me. I used to farm and went through about 4-6 a year on all my equipment.

Chet18013 said:
Deka batteries have always been great for me. I used to farm and went through about 4-6 a year on all my equipment.

Not too sure how to read this as a positive endorsement.  I lived on a farm for many years and don't remember batteries being a major problem area.

Mexray has good info as well as several others. I don't remember the last time I returned a defective battery.
While living in the desert SW I learned heat kills batteries. Now I shop price over warranty & price over name then compare amp hours. If my battery lasts only half as long as the next one that costs twice as much I figure I'm even~~ less my labor to change them.

aka Porky said:
Not too sure how to read this as a positive endorsement.  I lived on a farm for many years and don't remember batteries being a major problem area.

I had about 10 pieces of equipment with batteries , most of which had 2 to 4 batteries, so I had a good battery inventory. I used to make a run to the Deka store at least once a year.

Just counted, though I'm retired, I've got 17 batteries in various vehicles and equipment even now and 14 of them Deka.

aka Porky said:
My reply simply pointed out that you typed the word "now" when you meant to use the word "not".

Ok,,, Sorry, I misunderstood your prior post.. Yes, it appears I did say now when I meant NOT.. Thanks for catching it.

I had used only the Trojan T105, and they were fine. last change I used the Trojan 125 and they do seem to hold charge longer and in general I am hoping they are even better (they have a larger storage capacity.

Anyone know relative to using BatteryTenders: if I can just put two 6v's in series and use a 12v charger, I am pretty sure I can, but would be happy for any advice ? I also did read that I should not put my 2 six volts in series then in parallel with my 12v chassis battery with a single 12v charger - but would like advice on that as well please ???  Up till now I have not used the battery tenders and I think I boiled a battery due to not using these 'smart chargers'.  ???

...relative to using BatteryTenders: if I can just put two 6v's in series and use a 12v charger

That will work just fine. I do exactly that with the 6V golf cart batteries on my bass boat.

...I should not put my 2 six volts in series then in parallel with my 12v chassis battery with a single 12v charger

Correct; Generally speaking, you should only parallel batteries of a similar type/capacity. I don't think it's the end of the world if you do it, but the batteries may not charge at the same rate, and therefore will achieve a different state of charge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom