Montana vehicle registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnSandyWhite

:) Hi Tom. We fly over 26th October. Visit the Repo Auctions with our Florida friend on the 1st and 2nd of November. It is unlikely we will be ready to Tour as early as the Rally you pointed us to. We have considered registering through Montana. Does anyone have any views on this?  ;)

John

I split this out as a new topic so it will get some attention and hopefully more relevant replies. Meanwhile, if you search on 'Monatana' (without the quotes) you'll find some prior related discussions.

Don't know about SC, but some states have been going after folks who form a MT LLC for the purpose of registering their vehicles there. Maybe others will jump in with info specific to SC.

I haven't heard of any changes. Getting Montana or SD tags should be easy enough, but whether that actually avoids your SC tax liability is a different question. If you keep the motorhome in SC more than 30 days/year, probably not.

JohnSandyWhite said:
We have considered registering through Montana. Does anyone have any views on this?  ;)

Unless things have changed in the last few months, I changed to Oregon in January from MT, you need to establish a residence in the state.  An LLC does this for you but many states will go after you if the vehicle is located in them for a long period of time.  This can range from as short as the first day you go to work there to over 6 months.  When we moved to MT in 2000, the local Sheriff checked to be sure our address was real as we used a mail service as our mailing address and not the house where we actually lived.

Also MT has no sales tax but income and real estate are taxed heavily.

Check it out carefully as there are significant risks. 

Back
Top Bottom