Yellowstone camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob S.

Greetings to all,

I just received word that Fishing Bridge camp ground will have no power in late May,when we planned on visiting.So with that said the park people recommend either W. Yellowstone or Grand Teton park , does any one have an opinion on either location,?I'm leaning towards W Yellowston but I'm flexible.

Merry Christmas to all , see you in May

Bob S.

West Yellowstone has more facilities.  Couple CG's, one real nice.  BUT, in town there are groceries, restaurants, ice cream, bufflao hides, fly shops, ice cream, fly shops etc.  Oh, and an ice cream place right next to a fly shop!

Tetons, the CG at the northern edge just under Yellowstone is nice, but only the camp store, and it is about 50 some miles to Old Faithful.  Hopefully the road work will be finished in the spring.

Jolene and I will be at Yellowstone by mid May.

Goodmorning Pancake,

W. Yellowstone sounds like a better choice for me, I don't cast a fly rod but I sure know how to pour syrup and use a fork.I made reservations at the Grizzly rv park for mid May, would be nice to meet for a pancake.

Regards

Bob S

The West Yellowstone "Grizzly Bear" RV park is very very nice; pricey, but nice.  If you have a dog or two, they have great trails where you can turn the dog loose and hike around.  We had a great time there.

Also, just north of Yellowstone about 4-5 miles is a National Forest campground that has 50 amp electrical service, water and a dump station.  It is very nice with large sites.  If you don't need a clear view of the southern sky for satellite, you may like it.  It's right along the Madison River and I think it's called Madison Junction; but I'm not 100% certain.

You'll love being there in May.

Marsha~

Ms Marsha, thank you for your responce;the Madison camp ground looks like a beautiful place to be, however I looked on the park web site and the implication is no electric there which I require at this time.
I agree that Grizzley in not the least expensive park I've inquired about,but what the hell I may never get there again.
I hope you are at the hop skip and jump in May, we would love to meet you.

Regards
Bob

Ok....I got the real scoop; I called our son.  ;)  The campground I was talking about is called:  "Baker's Hole" and it's in the Gallatin National Forest.  Its about 4 miles from the West Entrance of the park on highway 191.

Here is the website for further information.  We drove through the park looking to see if our 35' would fit and there were several camping sites where we would have no problem.  You can not make reservations; but when we were there in the middle of Sept, there were lots of sites open especially during the week.

Bob, I agree, if you don't mind boondocking, the Madison Campground is very pretty.  Plus I believe you can make reservations.

Jim, I've been past the Madison Arms campground, but have never stayed there.  I wonder what it's like?  Our kids really love "Pebble Creek" campground, but we're not sure we fit in there.  They also told me there was a campground for big rigs just outside the park in Cooke City near the Lamar Valley part of the park; but I don't remember it at all.

Marsha~

Greetings Ms. Marsha,

Please thank your son for the info, much appreciated.

I've decided to stay at both "Grizzley and Madison Arms for my mid May thru who knows when I'll , leave segment of my adventure.

I'll be heading west  thru Idaho when I leave there, so If you have any more "must see" places I'm all ears.

Thanks again

Bob

Mr. Jim G.

Thank you for your recommendation, I'm going to stay longer so I can enjoy both Grizzly and "the Arms" parks.They both look fantastic.

Hope to see you in May, if you attend the Utah rally.

Regards

Bob

Flathead Lake, Kalispell, MT and Glacier Park are a days drive from West Yellowstone if thats not too far out of your way (North). The west side of the park is warmest. If you have tow vehicle 'Going to the Sun Road' is unforgettable (length restriction 28' I think).
  Lake Pend Oreille (Ponderay) and Cour de Lane, ID. are nice. The drive over Look-out Pass MT/ID border is quite a pull but the view is worth the drive.
  Not sure if you're travel plans are north ID. or south. 
  You picked a great time of year to go, enjoy!

Bob S. said:
Mr. Jim G.

Thank you for your recommendation, I'm going to stay longer so I can enjoy both Grizzly and "the Arms" parks.They both look fantastic.

Hope to see you in May, if you attend the Utah rally.

Regards

Bob

No we will be digging out from the winter even though we will not be here for most of it.  April and May are fix the sprinklers, get the flowers going, etc., etc. to get ready for the summer fun and visitors! 

we are planning on going to Yellowstone in june of this year, having never been there before we are wondering if it is better to stay in the park or outside? We will be bringing our new Outback trailer that is 25 ft long.  any input appreciated.

In the park if you can.  he park is so big that being outside just adds lots of time getting to inside destinations.  There are a number of CG's in the park.  Some take reservations, the rest first come.  Where in the prk do you want to concentrate oon?  Old Faithful area, stay in Madison or Grant Village.  Grant might be a little more desirable because it cnenters you in the southern end. 

CG's have great ranger programs in the evenings too.

Thanks for the info, we are going to skip Yellowstone and head out the midwest, theres a great bike ralley in muskegon michigan , Bike time, and we want to go see the big lakes, visit the dealership where we purchased our rv and go into canada. Sounds like fun, lets hope.

PancakeBill...........are you a campground host in Yellowstone? If so, What campground?

Back
Top Bottom