Entry Door Awning dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

The CarefreeColorado entry door awning on my ?03 Ultimate Advantage is acting up.  We?ve had several days of rain so I?m hoping maybe it is just moisture ?it failed early on due to motor housing  being filled with water and dealer drilled a hole in the bottom of the housing. This morning It took two presses on the extend button to get it to go out, and now it does not respond (no click, no noise, nothing) when we try to retract it. Can?t tell for sure which model it is, but guess it doesn?t make much difference as I understand there is no manual retract on these things ?just push it in and tie off the flapping fabric and/or remove it from the coach. Guess I'll have to get out my ladder and tinker with it...

It sounds like moisture in a connection somewhere.  Find the wires, dry them off and wire brush the contacts.  You can also try a little electric contact cleaner in the motor housing.  It sounds like the weather gummed up the contacts.

Sarge

I got lucky ...I've heard of too many of these lately that had a dead motor. I removed the housing cover to get to the motor & wiring. The snap-to connector looked a little loose. I checked for power w/DW pressing button and found it was good. Put it back together and it worked.  This is the first day of sunshire here in Alabama in in about a week.

Afchap, are you sure there is not a manual retraction?  Mine, 02 UA, has a metal loop connected to the bottom of the motor and i have a rod with a hook on it that i use to manually crank/retract/extend it.  It is a carefree.  I had same problem where it wouldnt retract sometimes and a little dry lube on the hinges took care of the problem.

when we used to go out....mudding(in my teenage years) we used to go to the parts store,and buy a can of spray silicon, I would use it on the dist,firewall fuse box, and anything else I didn't want acting up, worked great for years.

are you sure there is not a manual retraction?
Yep, no loop visible (motor completely covered by plastic cover), no rod, and Carefree confirms there is no manual retract on my Freedom model.  I have learned that '02 Ultimates apparently have Dometic awnings. My '03 UA has Carefree awnings. There were Marquee and Freedom models from Carefree ...Marquee has metal end caps and Freedom has plastic end caps. In addition, the Freedom model come in three varieties ...a manual operated, a powered w/tubular motor (inside the roller tube), and a powered with external motor. Both the Freedom over-door awning and our OneTouch patio awning are discontinued models. 

Back
Top Bottom