1992 champion titan diesel 5.9l

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodye85741

was planning to buy '92 champion titan but not sure reliability of it's 5.9L diesel. Any comments or recommendations?

The Cummins 5.9L is probably one of the more reliable diesels around. It has been in widespread use in many different forms since 1984. It is used in agricultural & construction equipment, Dodge pick-up trucks, and light-medium duty trucks of all types. Parts and service are widely available. It's had a few glitches over its 25 year history, with the occasional manufacturing defect showing up as production techniques or locations changed, but by and large it has been an excellent engine.

The 1992 RV version is probably a 12 valve, 6 cylinder engine making around 190 hp.

I had a '95 dodge dually with the Cummings, bought it with 160,000 miles on it, 5 speed trans, pulled like an ox. 
J

:-\ Did I happen to mention that motor is in front, not a pusher ? Any real problems and/or concerns? It's a major purchase for me. I've heard that any part whether it be bolt or bathroom tissue ; once it has the designate of Marine or RV, be ready to pay additional 50% more or less. :eek: :)

Well, there is some truth to RV parts costing more, or at leat they cost more if bought in an "RV store". But Cummins engine parts are widely available because they are used other  than in RVs and few RV dealers service diesel engines anyway.

Motorhomes, especially older ones,  are constantly in need of repair & maintenance, so it is best if you can do some of it yourself. It is very expensive if you have to go to a RV or chassis/engine shop for every little thing.

"Puller" diesel chassis have recently come back in style - Freightliner's FRED (Front Engine Diesel) has been a hit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom