Tracking Bytes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

Thinking about a cell air card internet plan and wondering if anyone knows if there is an program or something that I can track bytes used on my computer over a period of time. Most plans have a max amount of data available. I know that I can click and see how many I've used while in a session, but would like to see something cumulative. I don't know if 5 Meg is enough or not. Both my wife and I use the internet daily.
:-\

The monthly limit is 5GB, not 5MB, and is more than enough for email and web browsing.  You'll only need to be concerned if you watch a lot of streaming video or download huge files.  Checking the carriers usage page once a day will let you know if you're approaching the limit.

If you use the air card with a router, the router will likely have a usage log that tells you how much data has been sent/received.

If you have a Verizon broadband account, the Verizon software maintains a log of usage and will even automatically check it each time you log on if you like.

As Ned says, you won't even come close to 5GB unless you download movies, run a continuous stock ticker or something like that. Email and web browsing, even very heavy use, will likely run 2-2.5 GB/month.

I have been using a Verizon air card for a few years and I can go to their web site and look at my usage statistics for every time I have logged onto the Internet with Verizon. I have only gone over my 5 gig allotment once, when I made the stupid mistake of downloading Windows 7 RC.... ???

Thanks guys, I'll probably do it after the first. May have to start with AT&T as that is my service now and still have several months on my current contract,
One more question, when I start their data plan, won't I still have to pay Windstream, AOL, Net-zero or someone like that for internet services?

BTW, I did mean to type 5GB instead of 5MB. Sometimes my mine and fingers go in different directions, some call it a senior moment but since I'm not that old, I call it a brain f**t.

May have to start with AT&T as that is my service now and still have several months on my current contract,

If you are getting a separate modem device, e.g. a USB modem, it has a separate phone number and separate contract, so no need to tie it to your voice account. Choose whichever carrier provides the best data services in the  areas you will be in. For most people, that will be Verizon or Sprint. AT&T is third place in the availability of broadband data services.

when I start their data plan, won't I still have to pay Windstream, AOL, Net-zero or someone like that for internet services?

Not unless you want to have an email address or webmail service with them. You don't need them to access the internet - you dial into the cell carrier rather than a thrid party ISP.

Someone elsewhere (or in another thread) ask about software that could track network usage.

NET METER, which you can find quickly via Google. shows a graph of current net activity, not unlike the task monitor's network tab
But if you right click on either the task bar icon or the display... One of the options is "TOTALS"

Shows Totals since Midnight, Midnight Sunday Morn, Since Midnight 1/month/year, Since 1/1/year and since last program reset.. program loads automatically

Seem sto do a decent job.

RV Roamer said:
Not unless you want to have an email address or webmail service with them. You don't need them to access the internet - you dial into the cell carrier rather than a thrid party ISP.

You'll need a G-Mail, Yahoo or similar email address (both G-Mail and Yahoo are free) in order to send or receive email. Sprint currently provides an email address ([email protected]) for it's data plan users but I have heard that goody may be dropped. Verizon doesn't provide one. As Gary said, other than email, all internet access/service is done via your carriers connection.

Well.. I found a utility NET METER (Google for it) that tells me I've downloaded 2.37 Gig so far this month (one day to go)

IN short, exactly what I needed to know.

And this was a heavy download month for me (many updates and other stuff I'd not normally d/l)

The various funcitons are not all that well documented but when you run the program it shows up in the system tray, (Normally the right end of the task bar) right click on it and you have "options" I choose to monitor only one internet device (My WI-Fi adapter) since the lan port, when used, is not connected to the internet and would "False" the count higher.

You also find the "Totals" page there, and several other things.

Very nice counter.

Wizard46 said:
Thinking about a cell air card internet plan and wondering if anyone knows if there is an program or something that I can track bytes used on my computer over a period of time. Most plans have a max amount of data available. I know that I can click and see how many I've used while in a session, but would like to see something cumulative. I don't know if 5 Meg is enough or not. Both my wife and I use the internet daily.
:-\

DU Meter has what you need.  Try them at www.dumeter.com.  I used them to meter my usage and found myself averaging very near the 5gb threshold.  Given the punative rats for mB in excess of it, I decided to live on WiFi. 

Carl L said:
DU Meter has what you need.  Try them at www.dumeter.com.  I used them to meter my usage and found myself averaging very near the 5gb threshold.  Given the punative rats for mB in excess of it, I decided to live on WiFi.

If you use Windows of any flavor and want to save a huge amount of data do the following:

Turn off automatic updates from Microsoft or any other software you have. Make a simple schedule to visit the sites and download them manually. That way you do it once and share the files between your computers. For Windows that can really add up, the same for some anti-virus software that change update both the program and definition files. It can make a huge difference. Using a public WiFi to get those files and the EVDO for everything else will be even a bigger data savings.

It might seem tedious but once you set up the schedule it doesn't take long and you get to control what is being downloaded and when.

Just an idea.

Verizon has unlimited email AND web access for $29 per line on it's unlimited Nationwide plans.

It is important to note that they draw a distinction between web browsing and downloading. Basically, if you are browsing the web and viewing content, there is no limit under these plans. If you download files, it counts against the 5 gig amount. That is kind of strange since anything you view on the web is actually also a download of sorts in that information transfers from their server(s) to your computer and then rendered.

Get ready though because all the providers are headed to multiple tiers of service for data and moving to all you can eat for voice. It used to be that voice was the heaviest hit on their network but that has changed and so will now their service rates.

Back
Top Bottom