Acronis Backup Software - Question about controlling subdirectories for archive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I have switched from Norton Ghost to Acronis backup software because I find it much more straightforward to use and runs with MUCH less overhead than Ghost.

I seem to recall several people here use it (perhaps Ned??) and I need some assistance on figuring out how to assing subdirectories.  While I like just about everything Acronis does compared to Ghost, I am having trouble dictating what subdirectories Acronis should use for storing my  backups. 

I am used to my own sub directory naming scheme for the various types of backups I do.  I like to have one subdirectory assigned for an original backup so I can always get back to the very first original state when I first start doing backups.  Then I like to have a weekly cycle beginning with a complete backup followed by daily incrementals.  When a new week starts I like to put it into a new sub directory for the new week.

I save my original starting back up and then each set of weekly backups.  At the end of the second month I delete the oldest weekly backups but always keep the original starting backup and the last 4 weekly cycles.  I have a terrabyte external drive for storing the backups via my firewire cable.

Then I like to have other subdirectories assigned for different backup strategies.

Finally I like to have different sub directories assigned for backing up different computers.  I like to backup directly from the Acronis Cd-Rom so I don't have any XP system software running while I am backing up.

It seems Acronis has its own directory naming scheme and Acronis does not like me messing around with that.

Can anyone Help me figure out how to deal with these issues??

Smoky

The Acronis naming scheme is only a default position. You can select any directory and name for your backups. I currently have 4 different backups in my USB Drive. Acronis has a location manager that you can use or just create folders on the drive and direct the backup to the particular folder when you back up.

I agree.. I usually create the folder on the target drive using Windows

Then I browse to it and there it goes

Currently I'm using E:\Backups\Computer model-today's-date as the backup name and folder

Alas.. I do have a problem though.. Stupid Windows is no longer seeing the drive

(Acronis, when booted from F-11, has no tribble though)

I think I can fix that... Later

Thanks Bernie.

I will have to take some careful notes today when I do it.  I thought Acronis was renaming whatever I picked.  But maybe I overlooked something.  Also I may be confusing file names with directory names.

I may be back to you with more questions after I do  new backup with detailed notes about what happens.

Appreciate yhour prompt answer on this.

Smoky

When you click the "next" button, Acronis takes the defaults and will name your backup as an incremental b/u to the newest file existing in the backup folder.

Bernie:

Did not get a chance yesterday to try things again.  Hoping for some time today after a desert hike.

Can't do it tomorrow because I will be glued to the TV set rooting my Ravens into the playoffs.  Hoping to see another outstanding day from Rice and Flacco.

I might wait until Tuesday when I will have some shore power.

Smoky said:
John:

What do you mean by "booting from F11"?

I have the Acronis recovery manager and acronis secure zone on this computer.

Thus, I can save a backup image to a segregated partation on my HD that windows is unable to access. (much faster than an external drive via USB 1.x) 

At start up, right after POST. I get PRESS F-11 for ACRONIS or something like that at the top of my screen

I Press F-11, it brings up something like LILO (linux multi-boot loader) and the option to continue to Windows, or Continue to Acronis..  If I do not press F-11, it continues with the Microsoft boot loader (Normal Windows startup)

Oh, and I fixed the problem with Windows not seeing the drive.. Exactly what I thought it was (No drive letter assigned) told it to make an "E" of itself, and it did.

Smoky,
No sense making mountains out of molehills.  ;D  Just use the Acronis backup wizard and you will be able to specify both the location and file name when you do the backup. Another option is to select "Backup and Restore" from the main page, then select "Manage Backup Locations and Archives" from the left side menu list and follow the wizard when it opens.

I tried that Brtuce, but Acronis kept changing my folders and file names.  I must be doing something wrong so that is why I am going to take notes when I backup again.  Probably on Tuesday.

John:

What do you do if your hard drive goes bad?

Smoky said:
John:

What do you do if your hard drive goes bad?

Instead of IF it should be WHEN, as all hard drives will fail sometimes. I?m paranoid about backing up and I also use TI. I direct TI to back up to a different hard drive and then image that BU to a small drive just to make sure all is functioning properly. I keep my ?C? partition less than 50G to have small images and always make full images so I?m able to go back in time to a particular image date. All my mps?, photos and videos are dragged to other driveS as well. If a drive dies then it?s too late most times to recover, tho there are companies that perhaps can do it for BIG $$$$ One other suggestion is don?t think DVD or CDs are reliable for long term storage, they deteriorate much faster then most people realize. I?m speaking of most ?regular? brands found at popular stores, the gold ones are better. There are many things that will deteriorate a CD, like ink markers not designed for CD marking.

The worst thing you can put on a CD or DVD is a paper label.  That will deteriorate the data layer much quicker than writing on the disk with a Sharpie.  Even better is a printer that can print on CDs or DVDs that are coated for ink jet printing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom