12V lights dim and brighten.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

OK, so do I have a problem?  ???

My 12V interior lights dim, slightly, for a while. (I suppose I could say that they brighten, slightly, for a while, now and then.) They stay dimmer for a few minutes to an hour or so, and then brighten back up. The dimming is not severe - in fact, sometimes I only notice that they are a bit dimmer, without having noticed when they did that. All of the lights do this in unison. I am not aware of any other symptoms.

I have 50 amp park service, and I am using it almost to the hilt. I have 3kw of heating elements running, to do most of my heating electrically, rather than by propane. I have no 120v lights, no TV working. The fridge is on Auto, which means it is using 120 for heating the refrigerant. I am using my laptop, plugged into 120. AFIK, I am not using 120, internally, for anything else.

I have an AC Line Meter plugged in, in the bathroom. It reads anywhere from 114v to 116v, and does not vary with the dimming of the 12v lights. I do have a microwave, but I use it for a few minutes a day and it does not seem to affect the lights.

I am using 12v lighting, as needed. I'm not using 12v for anything else that is voluntary. Of course, the fridge has a circuit board that is using 12v, but I wouldn't think a lot of it - and I don't get into the fridge, often. I suppose there are other circuit boards being powered by 12v. There is no water, so the water heater is off. I suppose the furnace is controlled by a 12v board, but the lights do not react in time with the furnace. (It's not running, very often.)

So should I worry, or quit worrying?

Ray D  :-\

Ray, about the only thing that you haven't mentioned that could be happening (barring something malfunctioning) is the battery charger maybe shifting from float to absorb mode or absorb or bulk charge mode.  Either shift could result in a little more  umph available to your dc lights.  Just the ramblings of another old man.

Yeah, I wondered about the charging circuit. I feel smarter, since you came up with the same idea.  ;D

Actually, I am having a lot of these concerns. Paranoia may be playing a role, here. I am shifting from recreational use to full time, and every little thing gives me a start!  ::) "Click!" What was that?  :eek: "Pssst!" What was that?  :eek: I sure hope this MH keeps working!  ::)  :D

Converting my thinking from "go have fun," to "this is home" is quite a job. Then, if something was broke, go get it fixed. Now, if something is working, leave it alone! Don't go near it! Don't touch it - you might break it!! THEN, YOU'LL BE COLD!!  :eek:

Then, very little broke or gave me any trouble. Now, nothing that I know of is broken or needs fixed. Those two sentences describe the same state of affairs, related differently. (Unless there's something wrong with the 12v lights!  ::) ::)

Nervous Ray  ;D

Can you measure the DC output from the inverter? Most likely your reaching full charge threshold and shutting down temporarily or going to maintenance.
Everything considered you really need to point south.

Heading south sounds good. Unfortunately, I have an anchor attached to my leg. Next year may be different.  :-\

I am tech-challenged. Don't know where my Inverter is.  ::) Don't know what it looks like.  ::) Actually, don't even know if I have one!  ::) I know where my converter is - back in the electrical bay. It was replaced under warranty shortly after I bought the coach, and they showed me the old one and the new one. As I understand it, my inverter would be near the batteries, under the entry steps. As far as I know, I have never seen it.  ::)

I may dig around, if it warms up a little.  :( I am learning. Not fast enough, though!

Ray D  :)

I doubt you have an inverter if you haven't been aware of it before now.  Bigsky probably meant "converter" anyway if he is talking about measuring DC "output".

Hang in there Ray, you're learning more than you might think.  Sometimes we're forced to learn things we'd rather not have to know. ;) :D

aka is right, I meant converter, "ins" and "cons" along with other prefixes cause me numerous problems. Senior moments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom