VZAM and Firefox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greetings, Gang!

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I remember reading recently that someone was having a problem with Firefox and Verizon Access Manager.  I did a Forum search, but couldn't find it. (Doesn't mean it wasn't there. ;D)

Is there a known issue?

TIA

No issues that I know of.  Firefox doesn't care how you connect to the internet.

Thanks, everyone.  Must have been another one of my hallucinations. ;D

The notice from VZAM to upgrade to the version with the "free hotspots" showed up today.  I rather politely declined. ;D

ZuniJayne said:
The notice from VZAM to upgrade to the version with the "free hotspots" showed up today.  I rather politely declined. ;D

Why? It's a good softfware upgrade...a big improvement over the old version. Doesn't cost anything.

If you routinely use wifi at places like Starbucks or Barnes & Nobel, the new Vzam and "free hotspots" can be advantageous. If not, it doesn't make much difference. You aren't likley to get any free campground wifi from Verizon - they partnered with Boingo to get access to the hotspots and Boingo is pretty much chains of restaurants, stores and motels.

RV Roamer said:
You aren't likley to get any free campground wifi from Verizon - they partnered with Boingo to get access to the hotspots and Boingo is pretty much chains of restaurants, stores and motels.

That's true Gary, but the VZ software can also be used for any wifi connection. If there is a wifi within range, it will display it and allow you to connect using the VZ software. It kind of acts like a wifi sniffer.

If there is a wifi within range, it will display it and allow you to connect using the VZ software. It kind of acts like a wifi sniffer.

So does the standard windows wifi support and most device-specific wifi utilities.  Vzam works ok, but doesn't really have any advantages for wifi. However, some folks like the convenience of having Vzam give access to either local wifi or the cellular internet connection. Right now, though, Vzam doesn't recognize the possibility of having a wifi connection without internet, e.g. if you use a local wifi network to connect multiple computers or share a printer. For some people, that is a major problem and a reason not to allow Vzam to manage wifi.

Since we use a Cradlepoint router, we hardly ever use VZAM. Only when I am working on our connection settings. My computer will tell me if other networks are available, don't need VZAM for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom