12 Volt Electrical Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jddslucas2

I was pulling out a 2 pin 20 watt 12 volt lamp from the overhead lighting in my 2004 American Tradition and all of my 12 volt systems went out, including all overhead lighting, amke up lights,water pump, steps and battery disconnect.  The light over the dining table still works, all tv and electrical outlets, microwave, electric awning and antenna etc still work.  I check every fuse I could find all were good, circuit breakers were also not tripped,  since this effects several circuits that are on different breakers and fuses, I am guessing a relay somewhere.  Does anyone have any ideas??

The fuse for your lights is in the controller board under the bed (not the fuses on the side of the bed - lift the bed and find the multplex controller board). My coach isn't handy, but it should be well marked on  the circuit board. Since you say all 12v power was lost, it may be fuse that feeds the controller itself blew, though that is unusual.  There are two that are suspect: one that feeds the board functions and is the last one on the right as you view the board under the bed.  There is also an inline 12v fuse near the house battery that provides power to the board itself - check that. If that goes, you have almost nothing 12v.

As Gary said. you likely popped a fuse

Now, page 2 of this:

WHY,  That is why did the fuse pop?

Suggestion is that you remove the fixture and do a very good inspection on the socket.. You may have a failed socket and when you pulled the lamp out the wires touched.. causing a short, that popped the fuse.

I would like to say nice things about the quality of the socket/fixtures used in motor home lighting.. I really would like to say nice things about 'em.. but alas.. IN many cases. I've nothing nice at all to say about them.

Back
Top Bottom