Older Motor Homes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am also a proud owner of an older motorhome. It's a '91 Aero Cruiser Class A. Of course, it's also an orphan. After a year of research, it was obvious that no current production vehicle was what I was looking for. The Aero Cruiser was exactly what I was looking for.

I knew it was older, I found a decently maintained one, did the research and was prepared for the inevitable problems with something older. The cost savings over a new unit helped.

Best advice on something older, know what you are getting into before you get into it!

Rick

See signature. I have only seen a few others and that only on the internet. I have not seen another in person.

I bought a 1988 Holiday Rambler Aulmalite a couple years ago.  No problems with the house so far.  A little bit of work on the truck and she's going strong with 75K  Shocks, front end (ball joints and bushings) and some exhaust work.  Very happy with it so far.

That was way before Harley Davidson bought the company.  I remember that scheme with the gold crosshatch and the map.  My aunt and uncle had a TT of an even earlier vintage.

One very important area NOT to overlook on older MH's is the engine compartment. Rubber products (gas lines) break down over time and can really ruin your day this is especially true when your talking about MH in the year range of the 80's.

Something to think about and have your machanic check out. If it was me for peace of mind I would change every rubber hose and belt if I had no way of knowing their age.

Dennis

Agree Mr D and forgot to mention that I've done just that, every hose from vacuum to water has been replaced, along with all the belts, plug wires, plugs, the whole shootin match.  The last thing I want to have a problem with is something simple like that.

dolphin_tales said:
Hey All,
Just curious how many of you out there are running older motorhomes, and I don't mean like older like 5 years older. We have a 1989 Fleetwood Limited ourselves. Also, is there any way we can get a section added to the forum for those of us with older motor homes that deal with issues that are specific to them or does anyone know of another forum about this? Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply.

I got an 1988 Winnie Elandan. I'm also member of "Classic Winebagos" forum. The criteria is that your MH has to be minimum 20yrs old. I think you meet the criteria now. Lot of people here are very knowleadgeable on older MH's even though they have new rigs. I figured they have been around for quite some time and at one time or another, they too were owners of those MH (probably when they were new). Don't feel outcast, you are not alone. there are many here with older MH's. you may not hear from us that often for two reasons: Either we don't use them that often, or back then they were build so well that we don't have as much problems as the member with newer more complex and delicate rigs. :)

About 3 years ago I upgraded to a "new" 1998 Allegro.  My first motorhome was a 1983 Allegro.  What I discovered is that "most" of the issues with my newer Allegro are the same as the older one.  Most of the equipment operates the same way and is serviced and repaired the same way.  There are many people on this forum that own and use older motorhomes and are very happy with them and are more than happy to offer advice and help. 

I have a 1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial that I have had for the past 15 years.  I am the 3rd generation of Holiday Rambler owners, going back to my grandparents with a new 1964 Holiday Rambler

We have a 1974 Dodge Rockwood Class C. had to completely rebuild the inside due to water damage. 318 auto. replaced the flex hoses on the right side brakes, replaced all 6 tires (16.5 rims on her). Changed the oil and drove over 2800 miles on our maiden voyage last summer. then put 4 or 500 more on her just around home. She is only 22 feet long. full bath in rear. couch and dinette in front.

This year we finally got the hot water and furnace working. will now need to have the rear springs replaced. she is sagging a bit on the drivers side.
and she is all about camping, no television no dvd player (I did add a back up camera). its about getting AWAY from all that stuff.

I just bought a 1985 Georgie Boy Excalibor a few months ago and the only thing I had to do to it so far is replace the 11 year old tires. Everything works and runs great.

We have a 1990 Ultrastar and wouldn't trade it for the world.
We have it in a jellystone park that we can go to anytime with the kids.
Brian

We have a 1988 Travelcraft 36' orphan.  We moved into it 2 months ago and love it.  Had to replace several items (refrigerator, hot water heater) but not too bad.  We love the setup and especially all the large windows.

Dave and Carol

ok.....so I think this is how to post, we bought a 1984 Honey about a month ago and know nothing about it. The man we bought it from said it is only for camping with hookups so why does it have a house battery?? And, How do you switch the fridge to run on propane? I have searched every corner of the internet for an owners manual and it appears they were all on the titanic. :{

[quote author=barfield]I have searched every corner of the internet for an owners manual and it appears they were all on the titanic.[/quote]

Don't expect to find an owner's manual for the Honey and, even if you do, it will be a very generic document. Manuals for almost all the systems and appliances in an RV are available either from the systems/appliance manufacturer, or from third parties. Click the Resources button above and scroll down to Owners/user manuals.

barfield said:
ok.....so I think this is how to post, we bought a 1984 Honey about a month ago and know nothing about it. The man we bought it from said it is only for camping with hookups so why does it have a house battery?? And, How do you switch the fridge to run on propane? I have searched every corner of the internet for an owners manual and it appears they were all on the titanic. :{
Does your Honey have a generator?
J

Back
Top Bottom