heated holding tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceemike

I've been told my 2004 Brave has heated holding tanks.  How are they heated?  I've seen a switch for a holding tank heater in some RVs at RV shows but I can't find a switch for a holding tank heater or anything like that.  Are all three tanks (fresh, gray & black) heated?  Thanks for your help.

I had a 97 Jayco class C with heated holding tanks. Not the fresh water, just the black and gray. It is hard to dump frozen poop. Like all optional accessories, some motorhomes have it and some don't.

Some Winnie models (like mine) have the basement heated by the floor furnace ducting - I imagine there are small ports cut into the duct run that lead to a basement compartment.

John Canfield said:
Some Winnie models (like mine) have the basement heated by the floor furnace ducting - I imagine there are small ports cut into the duct run that lead to a basement compartment.

Hi John,
Does heating the compartments with a bleed from the heater keep the water and holding tanks from freezing?  Even if it is really cold?  If it is, say 25 deg F, and you are going down the hiway at 60mph would you turn on the heater?  Just curious... Thanks, G.

If it does have "heated holding tanks", you would probably have a blanket that lays on top of the tanks, and has a switch to turn it on when you feel it might be necessary.  But there would clearly be a switch and it would probably be in your control panel.  Mine has a thermostat that automatically turns it on when the temps get low enough, if I have activated the system.  The manufacturer claims it is good to -15 degrees but I don't plan on confirming that.  I have used it when temps were above that, but below freezing, with success.  If you have the system where the bays are relatively sealed and air from your furnace dumps into them, there will probably not be a  switch to control it.  Success depends on how much you run the furnace and how cold it is.  But keep in mind that your system, may only warm the tanks.  Parts of water lines may be outside the area and be unprotected.  You need to worry about the tanks and all lines and fittings, etc.

taoshum said:
Does heating the compartments with a bleed from the heater keep the water and holding tanks from freezing?  Even if it is really cold?  If it is, say 25 deg F, and you are going down the hiway at 60mph would you turn on the heater?  Just curious... Thanks, G.
The furnace will (at least in ours) will keep the plumbing bay about at freezing with a little insulation in the bay in mid to high 20s weather.  (The compartment is just a plastic shell that really needs to be insulated for cold weather.)  If I was traveling in 25 degree weather, I would have the furnace operating.

I looked up the brochure for the 2004 Brave on the Winnebago website & it says the Brave has a heated holding tank compartment.  It doesn't say how it's heated.  Maybe the furnace is ducted into the holding tank compartments like in John Canfield's coach.

Behind the metal panel in the water service bay on my coach I found a small hose ...maybe 1 1/2" - 2" dia ...that came from one of the furnace ducts. I presume having a hose on the hole in the duct helps prevent cold air from getting into the duct/coach as easily as it might.

We travel with the LP furnaces on when driving in freezing temps (very rare, never if we can manage it!!) It is a good idea to get a wireless thermometer with remote sensors ...in cold weather I put one sensor in the water bay and another in the water pump compartment so I can monitor temps there. I have been quite impressed with how well those compartments maintain above freezing temps in weather down to 5 below zero.  Due to the wireless thermometer, I noted a year ago that the water service bay was not staying "warm" as well as it had in the past. The bay floor there is one layer of plastic, and the undercoat on the outside was worn off. I put a couple of coats of spray-on undercoat on it from under the coach, and that definitely helped.

I have also found in the floor vent in the bathroom area that the bottom of the duct is covered wtih red duct tape ...and it is obvious that there is a hole under the tape. It is directly over the water service bay so guess I could put more heat down there if I wanted to!!

ceemike, your holding tanks will be SLIGHTLY heated, and Winnie does this on your model by cutting some small holes in the bottom of your metal heating duct near your tanks.  You won't have a hose directing this heat to your tanks.  Make sure you run your furnace and install wireless thermometers in your dump and water areas to monitor the temperature.

Thanks for the replys.  I was asking about this because we live in PA & we're planning on heading to FL at the end of the month.  I want to put some water in the fresh water tank & fill the water heater before we leave but I don't want it to freeze.  I can turn the water heater on to keep it from freezing but I am worried about the fresh tank & the water lines.  The coach heater blows warm air thru the coach ductwork but it sounds like I will have to run the coach furnace if I want to get enough heat into the compartments.  I'll also monitor the temp in the fresh water tank compartment per your suggestions.

Mike,

We have water here in FL. No need to carry it here.  ;D ;D

P.S. Why not just use bottled water and fill the tank when you get further south where it should be warmer..

Bruce,

I read that you had Frozen water falling out of the sky in Florida today.  ;D

A friend who is leaving for Florida a week before us said the same thing to me.  Since we always carry bottled water with us for drinking & cooking anyway I'll probably stick with that & fill my tank when we arrive.

It just better be warmer or I'm gonna be  :mad: .

Mike

Forecast low tonight in central FL is in the low to mid 20s. Same for tomorrow night. Should start warming up by Tuesday.  :) 8)

We lived in Central Fla for 25 years and went through significant cold snaps.  The orange groves migrate north for those years when the winters are mild and retreat south after a few bad freezes.

Our forecast low for tonight is 18  :p  I have some PVC plumbing for the stock tanks to repair thanks to the mid-teen temps we have enjoyed for the last few days.

Yesterday's HIGH herein the Ocala, FL area was 34 and 21 overnight. Today's high about 43 and it's already below freezing again at this time. Sure doesn't sound like Florida weather (and we've lived here 33 years). And yes, there was a dusting of snow Saturday a.m.

Hi Gary, I'm here in Ocala! Silver River State Park to be exact. The ranger came by and said that it was going to be 17 tonight.  BRRRRRRRRRR! 

Anchorage, AK is warmer than Florida...  nah, no climate change here, LOL

this just in:

Snow strands thousands of travelers around Europe

SargeW: 'tis cold in Ocala.  We live in Oak Run, 9 miles south of Ocala on SR200.  Right now it's 32 degrees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom