Latest Gig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
We had planned to depart Kansas City last Saturday, but we were delayed a day by the blizzard.  We left Sunday and drove through snow until we were in southern IL.  From there we had good driving the rest of the way.  However once we were in Florida the traffic was terrible.  The two lane section of I-75 was bumper to bumper all the way.

We arrived for our next camp host gig yesterday.  We are at  Caloosahatchee Regional Park, Alva (Ft. Myers) Florida.  And what a beautiful park it is.  The campground is small with just 24 walk in tent sites.

Yesterday evening was spent getting set-up and having dinner.  We only met a couple of the park employees as we arrived just before closing time.  Much to our surprise the gates to the park automatically close at 6PM on weekdays.  The hosts are furnished with a garage door opener so that we can come and go, but campers that leave can?t get back in after 6PM.  Seems a bit odd.

Aside from the host?s camp site, there are no provisions for RVs.  However if anyone gets down this way please stop by and say hello. 

There is also a real nice COE park nearby.  Don't the campers get a code?  I have stayed places that had combi locks.

Oh, and likewise, have a dy off, you can run up here and have lunch.

Bill:
There is no code.  Once your out - your out till morning; unless you make special arrangements with the host.  And we are told that "they" discourage that as once started it will go on all night. 

Silver Strand in San Diego locks the gates at 8 pm and there is no way to get in or out until morning by vehicle. You can walk through an underpass and get up to the highway and catch the bus or park overnight outside the park.

How do those locked gate parks handle middle of the night medical emergencies?  I'd hate to have a heart attack and the paramedics couldn't get through the locked gate.

The gate opens automatically when a car approaches from the inside going out.  I would hope the 911 operators know the situation and can instruct the caller to drive a vehicle up to the gate or to notify the camp host who can open it.  Where we are situated we can see the gate, so if an emergency vehicle came to the gate with sirens and red lights we would likely notice and let them in. 

I went back to the supervisor and confirmed that it is 6PM when the gate closes. 

We asked the host at Silver Strand and he said that if there was an emergency, they would call the ranger to open the gate. Don't know if the host actually had a key and just didn't want that information or out or if they really did have to call the rangers. I suspect that EMS could drive under ther highway through the walkway (it was big enough for a vehicle). Don't think I'd want to host at a park where I couldn't let EMS in.

Wendy

I took the opposite trip that weekend we went form Tampa to Kansas city you sure got the best of that it was 8 degrees last night it was 78 when we left Tampa.

I walked out to the gate this morning.  There is a sign there instructing emergency vehicles to run their siren on "YELP" to open the gate.

Our favorite park is a National Park Recreation Area and the gates close at 10pm for the night.  EMS would never show up there anyway...no cell signal in the part of the GW Forest. ;D

Back
Top Bottom