Tangled Power Cord--now what do we do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLCBFarrell

Hi all,
Let me start by wishing everyone a Happy New Year! I hope it brings many good things to all of you. Now, let me tell you our problem! We have a Jayco G2 32BHDS and we just spent the week leading up to Christmas camping oustide of Lebanon, PA while we visited my older sister. When we got ready to leave the campground to head for home, our daughter cleaned off the power cord and stuffed it into the hole/compartment like we always do. However, when we got home, it was obvious that the cord had tangled badly inside the compartment where it's stored. I'm sure that it didn't coil up as nicely as usual due to the very cold temperature and that's what caused the tangle. But, there's no access to this compartment and we have been unable to untangle it. Thankfully, we do have an  extension cord to use with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it untangled? Right now it seems the only option is to remove the outer cover and break the waterproof seal, but we don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary. The compartment is not accessible at all from inside the TT.
Thanks for any help you can give,
LuAnn

Without knowing the dimensions of the hole that the cord feeds from, it would be difficult to offer suggestions.  However, removing the panel and (breaking the water tight seal) is no big disaster.  Any RV supplier will have butyl tape to reseal the panel.

I can't imagine it is really tangled.  Mine has gotten a bit stuck previously and giving it an extra hard tug has got it moving again. 

LuAnn,

The first thing I'd do is try to let it warm up a little. If that doesn't help try to find where the box is that holds the cord. I've worked on a lot of Jaycos but can't remember where each one is located. Usually it's behind a drawer or under a bunk, cabinet, etc. Just look inside the unit right where the cord comes through the wall. You should be able to access the cord even if it means removing the top or side of the box. It may also just be stuffed inside an empty space.

Most likely it is not tangled but, due to the cold, it is very difficult to move.

LuAnn,

Just checked the web. It appears the cord is to the rear of the shower and H/W heater. I believe you will have access from inside the coach. As I mentioned, you may have to remove a panel.

Thanks for the replies we've gotten so far! The power cord compartment is sandwiched in between the hot water tank compartment  above and the furnace below in our Jayco. One side wall is the wall of the bunkhouse, over which the pocket door slides (for the bunkhouse). The other side wall holds the thermostat, and both side panels are long, one piece panels of 'wood'.  I think the opening that it feeds to the outside through is pretty standard, about as big around as a man's fist, at least, but if you put your hand in it would be painful pulling it back out due to plastic tabs that go all around the opening. Believe me, we have yanked pretty hard (both of us adults have tried, plus 2 teenagers), but you can see a big knot that moves towards you with each yank and it bangs into the outer wall/opening. Since it's December and we're in VA, I'm not sure how much longer before weather is warm enough to possibly help, especially if we want to camp sooner than that! It seems that the cord is completely enclosed in its own little boxed in compartment with no access from inside with out cutting/destroying the wood. The covering over the area has an inset area which we could probably knock in to access it, but then how do you pull it back into place and secure it?

Mike,

If you are pretty sure the cable is stiff due to the low temps, how about hooking up a hair dryer with a temp you are comfortable with .... low or high .... and heat up the cable compartment for a while and see if that helps.  You maybe could duct tape it to the side of the unit or otherwise attach it so the output goes in the cable hole.  It would probably take a little while to get it all warmed up.

Just a thought.  ???

Howard

Mike & LuAnn,

The cord really should not be tangled. There's no way pushing it back into the compartment would do that. It might just be so hard due to the cold that it won't pull back out easily. Judicial use of heat might just solve the problem.

We have a 50amp power cord on our coach and it's worse than trying to tame an Anaconda when it's cold! :)

Jim is correct, unless the loose end was also pushed completely into the storage bin, the cable cannot really be tangled.  It is not impossible, however, for a loop or "kink" to form and fall into place over another loop in such a fashion as to jam on exit.

Have you tried to push the cable back into the compartment and maybe use a prod, such as a broom handle, to rearrange the loops somewhat before pulling it out again?

If the cable wasn't too cold for your daughter to stow, I doubt that it's too cold to be pulled back out.

Call around to see if you can park it inside somewhere where it's warm... overnight would be enough probably... then try to pull it out after it is more flexible and movable.  That's what I'd do before I started taking things apart.  Good Luck, in any event.

I have seen cords tangle or snag, sometimes you can push 'em back in a bit, twist and pull, if that don't work try again twisting the other way

Now, that hole... If you can remove the "hatch" cover it will be a bit bigger and easier to get your hand in.

However patience is often the cure.

Suggestion.. When you get it out.. You might consider getting a 30 (I am assumign it's a 30 amp rig) or 50 (If it's a 50 amp rig) plug and socket.. Cut the cord say 2 or 3 feet out, put the plug and socket on (making sure you hook the white wire to the SILVER screw please.. long story there) and store the long cord in a bucket or compartment. use only the short cord in the current storage space. No tangles that way.

I had the same problem, I was able to remove a drawer to gain access. I pulled the tangled cord out through the drawer open space and re-twisted the opposite direction ( much like a cheap garden hose ) You may be able to pull out the cord as much as possible and twist it to remove the kink using the normal hatch.

Denis E. Carmody said:
I had the same problem, I was able to remove a drawer to gain access. I pulled the tangled cord out through the drawer open space and re-twisted the opposite direction ( much like a cheap garden hose ) You may be able to pull out the cord as much as possible and twist it to remove the kink using the normal hatch.

You do realize this is a 6-year old thread?

Multiple suggestions:

First. The compartment should have a removable panel on the inside, it might not look like it but a gentel tug and the panel comes off in many RV's how to replace is obvious, Basically a couple of snaps. not that much different than a western shirt.

Now. Optional, Remove the access hatch (from outside) creating a much bigger hole, re-caulk and re-attach once untangled.

Future.. Pull cord out all the way.. Let it "Dangle" Cut cord oh say six inches or so above the ground (I mean hacksaw through it, unplugged of course)  put a nice new POWER PULL plug on the trailer end.

Now put a matching POwer Pull outlet on the cord end

You now have a short cord which will not tangle and a much longer "Extension" cord which you can coil and store neatly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom