Water Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphin_tales

Well, another day working the inside of our MH and we found 2 large spots of water damage and one smaller spot. I am hoping you all can offer advice and encouragement as we attempt to fix these problem areas. The 2 large spots are on both side of the MH down both walls right where the front seam is on the roof and cap. Our MH has a fiberglass roof with and there does appear to be some remaining leakage in these spots. I got up there and added 5 tubes of delcor sealant. There are cabinets on both sides that have signs of water damage as well. The interior walls have rotted wood, rusted screws, and I am guessing some rust inside as well based on some probing I did today. The material on the walls is very thin, maybe 1/8th inch board with tightly adhered wall paper. When I cut if off it comes off in chunks, with foam and some metal flashing in the walls also. We are in the process of painting all interior walls and plan on cutting the rotted spots and replacing with a product called FBP board. Its made of plastic and is nearly industrutible. Once in place, we will patch it in with some filler and paint it all up. I havent completely decided how I will attach the new board but will likely pop rivet it in. So, please, if you have any advice, words of encouragement, or you have enjoyed this yourself, please feel free to reply. We have been taking pictures throught the process and will be posting some soon. Thanks.

There have been several threads here in the past years dealing with those problems. Try some searches for words like water damage, delamination, rot, etc.

Heres a few pictures of the damage

Attachments

• IMG_0302 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0302 (600 x 450).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0303 (450 x 600).jpg
    IMG_0303 (450 x 600).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0305 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0305 (600 x 450).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0322 (450 x 600).jpg
    IMG_0322 (450 x 600).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0315 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0315 (600 x 450).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 74
Did you fix the source of the leak first?
We have 2 places on our motorhome and took the paneling off, but we are going to pressure test to find the leak before resealing.  We have slowed them way down but there is still a bit there and we don't want to close it up before then.

Also do you have wood framing or aluminum, if wood it could be rotted too.

Back
Top Bottom