New GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
Just got asked what I would like as a retirement gift in place of the gold watch. ::)

What model Garmin works well enough to navigate a toad and serve as a receiver for Streets and Trips when we are in the coach?

(I have the laptop up to run VMSpc.)

Thanks,

Jeff /Washington said:
What model Garmin works well enough to navigate a toad and serve as a receiver for Streets and Trips when we are in the coach?

Jeff

I'm not sure about some of the newer small models, but the 26xx/27xx series won't work with S&T. You cannot get a cable connection to your laptop with the proper signal. I had an SPIII that uses the same mapset and, with a special splitter cable, was able to run the Garmin and feed the antenna into the laptop for Delorme, which I used at the time.

Get one of the new Garmin models, 26xx/27xx for use in the toad and the RV, and get a used GPSII or GPSIII on Ebay to use with the computer.

I already have a blind Duelo that drives S&T. Guess it stays.

I'm putting my Street Pilot III up for sale so I can upgrade to the newer 2620 model.  However, an SP III is a standalone system with its own maps rather than for use with the PC.  If you think you might be interested in going that route, let me know and I will provide further details.

Thanks Gary but this is a gift from the company. I just get to tell them which one. :)

N
BernieD said:
Jeff

That would be the simplest answer.

Bernie:

Nothing ever ends up being simple!

To have a gift at the dinner they bought Garmin's new 340C Streetpilot. Nice, intuitive small footprint GPS but one route, one intermediate stop, not lat-lon fixs. Now I have to find a Car Toyz in Chicago and trade it for a 27xx.

It's a bit pricey, but my Garmin Street Pilot III has served me well for nearly five years. I never turn it off, and it's interfaced permanently into a spare laptop. I use DeLorme Street Atlas v.9 on the laptop. Of course, that's on only when I need the navigation aids. The Garmin has a 64Meg memory chip which will hold 2-3 large metropolitan areas, but with Street Atlas, I navigate with the Laptop rather than the Garmin. An icon follows me on the laptop and it's easily programmed with routes for voice navigation -- Make a U-turn -- Make a U-turn.

StreetPilot.jpg

My SP-III is monochrome; my neighbor has a SP-III color and his is much easier to view in bright sunlight.

My vehicle laptop table is easily constructed for about $10. email writer29 at sbcglobal dot net for a parts list.

You can see a short tutorial on my website at http://valleygeocachers.com/GeocachingPPT_files/frame.htm .

Valleygeocatcher,

In your post titled "RE: New GPS," how did you include the two photos of the Garmin Street Pilot III "in line" with the text??

JerryF

Jeff,  You should consider the Garmin 2620 because it is usable in both the MH and tow car plus you can put the Garmin map set on your PC and probably do everything you can do with your previous GPS.  It is so nice to take our 2620 in the tow car when we are in a new city. 

JeryF

JerArdra said:
how did you include the two photos of the Garmin Street Pilot III "in line" with the text??

Jerry, if you click the Quote button on his message, all will be revealed. But please be advised that, if everyone does this, it's going to be an issue for folks on slow connections and I'm going to have to turn off that capability here. The preferred method is to use the attachment feature, which allows folks to view messages and to have the option to view photos.

Tom said:
Jerry, if you click the Quote button on his message, all will be revealed.

Tom,

On my screen I think everything that was supposed to be revealed was written in invisible ink, just like in the Hardy Boys mystery books that I read as a kid.  I could not see how to add a photo inline with the message.  I will only use it sparingly and I will reduce the photo to a VERY small size.  I can get them down to 15,000 bytes using the free Microsoft PowerToys Image Resizer.  It's a wonderful and VERY fast resizer tool.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
On my screen I think everything that was supposed to be revealed was written in invisible ink

LOL Jerry, must be all that Fitzgerald internet security stuff getting in the way.

Replace the parentheses ( ) below with square brackets [ ]

(img)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/bbuchanan/StreetPilot.jpg(/img)

Alternatively, just type the url for the image, highlight it, then click the Insert image icon
img.gif
above the message composition window to automatically add the tags.

Oops, almost forgot - the image has to reside on a server somewhere.

Tom,

Let us know if we should place a (width=?) in our IMG links and what the max should be.

That would modify the link to:
(img)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/bbuchanan/StreetPilot.jpg width=200(/img)
a height= can also be added, but using width only automatically keeps the aspect ratio.

oops I tried that. It has worked on other forums, but not this time -- didn't shrink it. I deleted the large pix.

Thanks

Buck

Buck

This forum is using BBCode instead of html and the width character doesn't work. In any event, width wouldn't change the file size, merely the size of the displayed image. We really would prefer that images either be attached to messages (using Additional options) or a link provided for folks to view at their leisure.

One of the reasons for moving the forum to this location was to get away from lots of images that helped make our prior location unusable for folks on slow connections. We have a lot of members who use slow cell phone connections &/or limited cell minutes to get online. Having inline images (or images embedded in the message) that have to be downloaded as part of a message are a real issue for those folks.

If the images are attached, folks have the option of going back and downloading them later, e.g.when on weekend minutes.

FWIW I can count on one hand (or less) the number of times I've had the need to use inline images in my messages.

hey, folks,
for real portqability between vehicles and ease of use you cannot beat the lowrance iway 500. its can be set in avehicle in about 3 minutes and has the best screen of all the current models. it's $799 retail but can be picked up on line much cheaper and you get updates from lowrance whenever software and maps are changed. being in the business and working with them all this is the one i chose for my wife and myself. check it out, by far the best for vehicle navigation. not good for water or as a portable however at all.

Any Garmin Streetpilot can be set up in any veicle in about 10 seconds.  Just plug it in and set it on the dash with the beanbag mount.  Add a few seconds if you use the permanent dash mount.  What could possibly take 3 minutes?

Or to lock onto the satellites, but that shouldn't count as setup time.  And the Garmin doesn't take 3 minutes to do that either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom