'02 Discovery jacks not retracting fully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindacahill

We purchased an '02 Discovery in 8/09 and are learning a lot about our D & enjoying the adventure very much.  This weekend as we were preparing to leave our camp site in Savannah, GA, the jacks would not retract fully.  The warning beep sounded the entire trip home.  Is this something that we can fix -- if so, how?  Or does it need to go to a repair shop?

Linda:

Are they Powergear Jacks?

If so there are two things that can cause your problem:

1. Make sure fluid is not overfilled with jacks fully retracted.

2. If they are Powergear the factory reccommends lubing the jack cylinders with DRY silicone. I do that buy appling a light coat of silicone while jacks are extended, retract the jacks, and if they do not quickly retract all the way I extend the jacks and repeat the process untill they do work well.

This usually occurs after leaving them extended for a period of time or when the temps get cold.

My 99 D had this problem only when the jacks fluid reservoir was low. There is a float in the reservoir that controls the buzzer. A little add will go a long way. I have an old site that I maintained for several years about the D. You might want to peruse it keeping in mind some things changed over time. Site is mydrv.net

Hi, it is kinda silly but on fleetwood MHs if you let off the parking brake it will turn off the leveling system. I did it accidentally, then notice one jack had not fully retracted.  So now I leave the brake on while I do a final walk around..If they don't fully retract I put then down and retract them again.  the  responder was 100 percent correct, they love spray silicone, I hit mine when I think about it.  Charlie in Texas

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  It was about 40 degrees when we attempted to retract the jacks so possibly the cold played a part.  I'm not sure if it's a Powergear system or not -- will confirm that.  Our slideout system is Powergear so maybe the jacks are as well.  Unfortunately when we purchased the MH last fall all of the owners manuals were not in the giant satchel so we're discovering as we go along.  Again, thank you and we'll take any & all the suggestions & advice you have to offer. 

I do have a slideout question and will post it shortly.  Thanks.

One of our rear jacks retracts more slowly than the others but it usually, eventually gets there.  I tossed in a 4 ft piece of 2" conduit and sometimes I use it as a lever to "help" the jack retract, especially if I am getting impatient.  Seems to work fine.  Be sure to have someone else turn on the "retract solenoid" so the fluid has somewhere to go as the jack retracts when you push up on it.  Seems to be temperature dependent too, kinda like me. Oh well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom