Solar backup generator ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeLacey

On TV... www.mysolarbackup.com  -- Went to website, sounds like a potential.  Anyone have experience with this? 

Class A,B,C,5th easily have gas/diesel generators installed on board

Only options for Casita (eggshell) TT is mount portable generator on tongue or carry in TV.  That also means carry fuel for traditional generator.

Anyone with experience or done research on this solar backup generator?

thanks
-joe

I don't think there is any magic or "super energy concept" here Joe.  I went to the website and read the article and it leaves out the things that would be of real interest to a potential buyer and that is the ENERGY that this system can provide and the output amperage of the solar panel.  The 1800 watts mentioned is power....strictly watts and one can get 1800 watts from an ordinary 12 volt deep cycle battery BUT NOT FOR LONG!  That is what is missing.  You need energy, not power to determine the usefulness of this system for your application.  I can't refute the specifications mentioned in the website because they are all "true"...but what it doesn't say is that 1800 watts cannot be supplied for very long at all.  1800 watts represents a 150 amp drain on a 12volt battery!  That's like continuously trying to start your car and you know how long that would last if it didn't start.....I think this system is simply a solar panel, a charger/regulator/inverter, and a 12 volt battery which is way way way overpriced!!

Costco had, at one time, in their stores, a solar panel and charger for 12v batteries and it was about $269 as best I recall.  The charger provided 15 volts at 4 amps or 60 watt input to the battery.  If ya got 8 hours of sunshine on the panel, that would equate to close to 500 watt-hours of stored energy.  Depending upon the electrical amenities of your TT, that might or might not be enough to carry you through the night.  Try www.costco.com and search for solar battery charger....

Hi Joe - good to see you again!

This is a cute system, but it costs way too much for what you get.  For $1800 you get a 90 watt solar panel, a 1500 watt modified sine wave inverter, a 51 amp-hour AGM battery and a charger, packaged in a nice roll-around box.  http://www.mysolarbackup.com/features.html

You can put a solar electric system in your Casita that will give you more capacity at a much lower cost.  You already have the battery (BTW - twice as large as the one supplied in the kit) and AC charger (converter).  Why pay to duplicate what you already have?

I'd put a solar panel on the roof ($400 including controller), add a second battery (giving you 4 times as much energy storage as the kit), then go down to Pilot and get one of their $150 inverters.  Or get a true sine wave inverter for about twice as much.

Not only will you have a superior system for less than 1/3 the cost, but it will be built-in - you won't have to find a place to store the kit when it's not in use or pack and unpack it every time you set up camp.

Interesting how at the end of the presentation they are already offering you additional panels.
  You can do much better at Costco, Lowes or on line.
  The most important thing is to get a controller large enough to handle additional panels if you decide to upgrade and an inverter large enough for your needs.
  What Lou suggested and you still money left over for a 1K or 2K
Back Up Generator

It looks to me like a ups and a panel.

There are good deals on panels on ebay. You could get enough to cover the whole trailer for less than they want for that.

Solid "thumbs down" on this Great BUY!  Thanks guys.

Lou, I'd hire you to make this thing work... I lack the knowledge to install it<sigh>.  The Casita's small roof thumbprint probably makes a roof mount not a good option.

Nice to be back in touch with "all".

-joe

FWIW: At Glamis (CA) one year I saw a toy hauler with what looked like a 75watt panel above a side window where one might put a window awning. For travelling it appeared to fold down over a portion of the window and lock in it's mount. For use it propped up flat or at various angles to greet the winter sun.
  It looked like a home design mount. The output wires ran into a nearby refer. side vent.
  I never forgot the engineering skills of the installation.

Joe, I'd be happy to help you get the Casita up and running.  But Wally and Helaine Hepworth are probably closer at RV Solar Electric in Scottsdale.

Any chance of you and Cricket making it out to Quartzsite in a couple of weeks for the annual RV Forum get-together?  With or without the Casita, it would be great to see both of you again.

I got a great system from RV Solar Electric in Arizona.  Find them on the web.  They have a 130 watt system for about 650. Gary

After watching the video on their website, I'm scared.  I'm buying one of these for every room in my house.....
Now seriously, for those of us who are intrigued by having a solar system for our TT or motorhome, what would be a reasonable setup?  I know I already have a deep cycle battery on my TT, and an inverter is built in - I suppose I just need a good solar panel and method to prevent overcharging the battery - right?  Any suggestions on where to buy these products at a reasonable price?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom