Leveling and Slides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SSImpala

I need some more information. Do you level the motorhome and then extend the slides? Or, extend the slides and then level the motorhome?

Sounds like a dumb question but I am sure there is a right way.

Thanks
Ed

It depends on the year, make and model, as some are done one way and others the other way.  Check the manufacturers documentation for the proper procedure, or if you don't have the manuals, then call Fleetwood and they should be able to tell you.

Hi, I have a 99 south wind, the book says level then extend, sounds good but I usually have to jack the left rear up a little after the slide is extended.  You can see the slide is drooping a little after it is extended.  charlie in texas

Sounds like a dumb question but I am sure there is a right way.

Ed:

Not at all! It has been asked here many times.

The dumb thing is to do it when you are not sure how to do it right. We all have paid a lot for those kind of lessons. :eek:

As Ned said, it depends on which make and model you have.  With our Monaco we were told to turn off the engine, extend the slides, and then level.  When we're ready to leave we turn off our air leveling, turn on the engine to "air up" and once it's to about 130 psi we turn it off, retract the slides, and then turn the engine on again to drive.  Ours is different because we have an air leveling system and I'm sure other Monacos have a different routine if they don't have air leveling.  The moral of the story is to follow what the manufacturer says to do.

ArdraF

Once again great advice, looks like Fleetwood will be getting a call.

Love the idea of RVing just have a lot to learn.

Thanks
Ed

My Winnebago manual states to level before extending slides. Additionally, while at an HWH (jack manufacturer) repair facility a few years ago, they told me while I can extend the jacks with the batteries it is better to do so with the engine running. They also told me that once I start extending or retracting any slide and I decide to reverse the operation , it is better to run the slides all the way out or in before reversing direction.

tallyo said:
My Winnebago manual states to level before extending slides. Additionally, while at an HWH (jack manufacturer) repair facility a few years ago, they told me while I can extend the jacks with the batteries it is better to do so with the engine running. They also told me that once I start extending or retracting any slide and I decide to reverse the operation , it is better to run the slides all the way out or in before reversing direction.

Was any rationale given for why one should fully extend/retract slides before changing direction?

I doubt if it really makes much, if any, any difference. I have seen numerous, opposing opinions among RV manufacturers, slideout mechanism manufacturers, RV techs, media gurus and owners. I even have two separate sets of printed instructions for my coach, each stating the opposite procedure is the only proper way and both are from the Coach manufacturer! How do I do that?

Realistically, if the jacks are extended first, you may find that the coach settles a bit when the slides are extended and the ground is soft. This can happen anyway on soft ground, but it probably happens sooner if the slides are extended last. It is also more likely to happen with a deep (24"-36") slide than a shallow one 12"-18"), simply because of the leverage. Big deal.

My conclusion is that this is a purely academic debate, with no significance in real life.  I typically level first, simply because it is convenient for me to hit the leveling switch on the dash after I shut the engine down and before I get out of the seat. The coach then levels while I go out to hook up shore power and the wife starts on the interior set-up.  Since we have auto-leveling, we wait for the leveling to finish before extending slides, usually only a minute or two.

The instructions with my '97 Bounder are to level the coach before operating the slide.  I have done it the other way around on relatively level ground and it made no difference.

However, I have had to level first in my own driveway before the slide would extend. (definite list to starboard) I assumed there was a sensor someplace preventing the slide operation, as there was no indication that it even attempted to open until I leveled.

It just makes sense to me to level first to eliminate any possibility of causing a bind in the slide mechanism.

I suspect (but don't have proof) that they want us to level after extending the slides because then the side-to-side weight is balanced so the leveling can be more accurate.  Again, this is with air leveling which may be an entirely difference ballgame.

ArdraF

tennsmith said:
Was any rationale given for why one should fully extend/retract slides before changing direction?
I knew someone would ask and I am ashamed I didn't ask either other than remembering he said they would work better,  Sorry...... "Here's my sign"

If you have air suspension, probably more important to drain the air first, then level, then slides.  Also check the outside clearances carefully to make sure the slides don't hit something... like a big tree branch.  JMHO.  When in doubt, read the manual.... :-X

OP has a 2003 Pace Arrow 37A made by Fleetwood. It has 2 slides.
One on drivers side(Dinette/J-Sofa) and one on passenger side(Bedroom)
Pace Arrow is made on a gas chassis. either a Ford or Workhorse.
Don't think one was ever made on a diesel air ride chassis.

Most Fleetwood built gas chassis call for level first, slides out second.
Most Fleetwood built diesel chassis, call for dump air first, level second and slides out third.
It is always better to consult the manual first on all Fleetwood models.

Fleetwood doesn't recommend how to operate Winnebago's, Monaco or any other manufactures slides.  ;)
And doesn't recommend Fleetwood owners to follow other manufacture owners instructions on slide operations.  ;D

Slide operation is dependent upon the relationship between the Slides and the Frame not the Slides and the Ground. 

If leveling on non-level terrain the Jacks can stress (warp) the Frame and bind the Slides while the MH setting on its own suspension on the same terrain will maintain alignment between the Slides and the Frame.

weewun said:
Slide operation is dependent upon the relationship between the Slides and the Frame not the Slides and the Ground.

I understand your comment, but my coach will not allow the slide to operate if the coach is too far out of level.  Just what this limit is, I don't know.  The switch, wherever it is, must be measuring level relative to the ground.

weewun said:
If leveling on non-level terrain the Jacks can stress (warp) the Frame and bind the Slides while the MH setting on its own suspension on the same terrain will maintain alignment between the Slides and the Frame.

This sounds like and opinion, not documented fact.  My Fleetwood documentation definitely states to level first.

Hi All

I think the reason this topic keeps popping up is because there is no consensus. - even among manufacturers  The tech guy at the Monaco website says extend first and then level - no exceptions.......unless you're too far off level - then level first and then extend..... That should clear it up...

I'm still new at this, but we usually level first, then check the surroundings of the leveled coach, then extend.  I then recheck the level (even though I've never found the sliders to have effected the level of the 49000 lb coach). 

Bob & Sue)

tennsmith said:
In a seminar he gave at the Winnebago Grand National Rally a couple of years ago, Paul Smith of HWH also underscored the need to extend fully, then retract the slides.

He did say our small bedroom slide could be partially extended and then retracted.  Don't remember what the rational was if he even said.

Interesting, didn't realize that to be a"fact" requires documentation.  Wonder if all that is "documanted" is "fact".

weewun said:
.....If leveling on non-level terrain the Jacks can stress (warp) the Frame and bind the Slides while the MH setting on its own suspension on the same terrain will maintain alignment between the Slides and the Frame.

If the jacks are stressing (warping) the frame then the jacks are not operating properly.

The jacks or jacking procedure should never warp the frame.

Back
Top Bottom