Incinolet Toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I want to install an incinolet toilet.  It burns the waste and there is just harmless ashes to dump in the garbage.  Has anyone else here installed one?

Thanks for your contributions!

I have a friend that installed one in his cabin in MT.
  According to him: "horribly inefficient, fumes, runs forever, don't try to use it too much, good luck expecting to clean just 'ashes'".
  He's not the best engineer when it comes to installations but his cabin is far bigger then an RV...............Weather permitting he abandons incinerator and uses great outdoors. (TMI)

Reading the Incinolet website, I note that the thing draws 15 amps.  That is a considerable load on an RV circuitry -- especially if you have a 30 amp system.  If you are ruining a fridge and an A/C you are going to pop circuit breakers when you 'flush' the john.  If you not tied into shore power and you powered it with an inverter, you would go thru your house batteries awfully fast.

As I remember you are rehabbing an old motorhome.  Keep it simple ma'am.  RV waste tanks are a proven technology and your MH will have a system installed.  Rehab those if they need it and learn to live with your waste tanks.  Our library has articles on the subject and you will find scores of topic on the message boards if you search on the subject.

I certainly wouldn't expect to flush on an inverter.  Since it's just me alone, I don't expect to have a crowd of beer drinkers flushing every ten minutes and figured the generator could be pushed into use if I am not tied into the umbilical cord ashore, for flushing.

Eventually, I plan to be in some remote locations that may not have typical motorhome amenities and the thought of never having to deal with black water waste was a wonderful idea indeed.

I lived on a sailboat for a decade in the islands that very rarely ever saw a dock, and survived off a small solar panel for years.  12 volt systems are something I do understand (and wish I didn't!). I had to rewire a good bit of my old boat anyhow and pray I don't have to rewire a thing on this RV.

I was recently depressed to learn my trusty volt meter died, and I've only used it for 20 years...

Overall my elderly RV (circa 1994) seems to be in good shape with all systems running, so I'm not planning to change anything until I see "how it goes" once I get traveling.

I do have this real bad habit of looking at it and making mental wish lists such as; I need 12 volt fans, I would love to rip out the original carpet, they make more useful faucets now, the propane tank needs derusting, painting and so on...  *giggle*

Thanks for your input.

Ironically, I just ran into an RV owner, who had changed over to an incinerator toilet and loved it, though she always lived in a campground with full hookups, so I am kind of puzzled as to why she bothered with the change over at all, and must think to ask her that when I speak with her next.

DearMissMermaid,
I have used Incinolet shipboard, and spent a lot of time researching the cycle time, when We had a summer home on the ocean in Maine. Not sure what you gain. You eliminate black water, however, you still have gray to deal with. At 120 volts you will be running the roaster for a fair amount of time and using lots of power.
Your carbon footprint will not look good, and you still need to go to the dump station.
We go through more gray water than black.
my2c
Jim

Dearmissmermaid,

When I was a microwave technician for a phone company we had incinolets at our remote huts. We would NEVER use one until we were ready to leave the site for the day!!! The smell would drive us out of the building and it was in a separate room!

They may have improved over the years but I would do a lot of investigation before installing one. If you are in a campground and use it your neighbors might rebel. :)

DearMissMermaid said:
I certainly wouldn't expect to flush on an inverter.  Since it's just me alone, I don't expect to have a crowd of beer drinkers flushing every ten minutes and figured the generator could be pushed into use if I am not tied into the umbilical cord ashore, for flushing.

Eventually, I plan to be in some remote locations that may not have typical motorhome amenities and the thought of never having to deal with black water waste was a wonderful idea indeed.

My trailer has a 40 gal. black water tank.  We find that the tank will handle 2 people or 5-6 days before emptying is an issue.  As others have stated, gray water is the problem -- we can nurse about 3 days out of a 35 gal. tank.
An electric john is not going to help you there and dumping gray water improperly is just as illegal as black water. 

..., the propane tank needs derusting, painting and so on...  *giggle*

If that is a portable tank, it will need replacement or recertification after 12 years from the date stamped on the tank.  If it is a built-in tank, you should have it professionally checked out.  In either case, your propane system should be checked for leaks with a manometer by an RV shop.

Back
Top Bottom