Bigrig Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

Bob.n.Sue

Hi All

We damaged one of the tires on our rig over the holidays.  Something kicked up and took a cone shaped chunk out of the sidewall of one of the duals.  It is roughly nickel-sized at its widest, and about 1/2" deep.  There are no cords showing, no bulges, nor has the tire lost any air during the 1000 or so miles put on the tire since.  It is the pass/side outside dual.
I had a OTR trucker with lots of experience look at it, and he said he wouldn't change it, but would just keep an eye on it.  Similarly, (and surprisingly) a sales guy at my local Lou Schwab Tire store said about the same thing, after quoting me $650 for a new tire.  My cautious side (AKA: my wife) says :why take a chance on it. We also recently saw a Monaco coach that blew a tire at speed and the flying/flapping rubber took out everything but the roof airs. The tire is a Goodyear G670 RV Radial, size 295 80R 22.5.  Anyone got an opinion?  How 'bout a line on where I can get this tire cheaper?

Bob

Last I remember you are in Oregon.  I used to by big tires at the tire shop at exit 199 in Coburg.  Forget their name but they were fair, might have them look at the tire.

Thanks, Jack.  Coberg';s about 25 minutes down the road.  I'll check it out.

Bob

1/2" deep sounds mighty deep, but no pics. It might be allright for cold weather but it sure would be a weak spot in hot weather.
  If the expert opinions tell you it's OK....... and it's not, they have nothing to lose. On the other hand you have a big repair bill.
  I lost a 24.5 on a flatbed several years ago in NM. It took out the mudflap, wiring, part of the ICC Bumper and a good portion of a 4wheeler's front end that was drafting me. The bottom side of a 42' flatbed seems bulletproof next to an RV.

Thanks bigskymt

Good point about the hot weather.  Here's the picture.

Bob

Attachments

• tire damage.jpg
    tire damage.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 81
  Thanks for the clarification. I guess if tire manufacturers' thought that outer '1/2' of sidewall material wasn't necessary they'd still use it.
  I probably wouldn't drop everthing and race to the nearest tire dealer for a replacement. You can do a lot better then $650 for one tire. If you have room the old "lose" tire can be carried for a spare and changed on the road by a tire service if necessary.
  Having said that, MY wife is seldom wrong and even when she's wrong she's still right.
  IMO I'd rather error on the side of caution(AKA Wife) then on the side of danger.

Thanks again bigskymt

Let me ask you this:  What about mixing brands:  i.e.: a Toyo or other brand with the same dimensions/specs?  Goodyear tires are kinda pricey.  If I put the new tire inside on the duals, there wouldn't even be an appearnace issue.
B

They usually say don't mix tires on duals. Depending on the tire's mileage you wouldn't want to put a new tire next to a say 50% worn one. Different brands can differ in actual height, even slightly too.
  I don't know your situation/mileage/tire wear and would not like to make that judgement call.
You have some options like putting a new tire on the steer etc. etc.
Hopefully some more knowledgeable Forum Members will weigh in on this.
Toyo, Hancook(sp)& Kelly are excellent tires. I personally don't recommend the Chinese even on the rears.

Tnx bigskymt

I can't seem to find on-line truck tire sales...... Probably shipping costs make it a non-starter
Also seems like when you put "RV" somewhere in the brand name, the tire cost goes up 40%.
Is a 22.5 rim a unique RV size? 

22.5 used to be a big rig and trailer size. In the last several years most big rigs went to 24.5. RVs and busses stayed at 22.5.
  The standard 22.5 was 11X22.5. Chassis manufacturers have since demanded lower profile etc. That coupled with the switch to metric and we now have 265s, 275s, 295s and so on.
  Camping World recently offered me 2 11R22.5s for about $800 out the door.
  There a some good deals out there especially in your position, you have time to shop.
  On-Line seems expensive with shipping. Mounting etc. of course is extra. Warranty may be hard to find.
  When I buy I'll likely go with a Nationwide chain that will provide support across the US.
  Costco sells on line/delivery at stores but limited to very few that will mount/balance a 22.5. (19.5 seems no problem)

Tnx somemore bigskymt-

I don't see any indication that these tires/wheels have been balanced (i.e. no weights) .  Don't these big tires have to be balanced?
Bob

Many tires are balanced by means that cant be seen and others don't balance the rears only the fronts, so it varies with application.>>>Dan

Bob, the "unseen" methods of balancing include a prodct called Equal, or small  balls, either of which sits inside the tire. Try searching for prior discussions on tire balancing. Here's an illustrated explanation of how one of these methods works.

Usually they recommend balancing the steers, seldom the drives(which makes no sense based on my next sentence). Over the summer I swapped the steers with the inside rear duals to keep a slight sidewall cracking in check.
  Neither showed any sign of weights. The slight shimmy I had noticed in the steering wheel at 65 mph disappeared.
  I don't recall ever balancing tires on a big rig. The explanation being with 12K#+ on the steers and 40K#+ on the drives you won't feel much.
  The construction quality of premium tires like Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone that provides a balanced tire has long been a marketing tool. IMO I think its more truth then just marketing.

Schwab is asking close to list price for that tire. Last spring I paid $501 each for that size G670 tire, balanced and installed. Prices have increased 6% across the board since then.

Most shops do not recommend balancing the rears on these big tires, but others swear it is best to do so. I have mixed emotions about that and not sure what I will do when the rears are up for replacement next winter.

Thanks to all for 'taking me to school" on big rig tires.  Turns out the issues are a little different than the last time I replaced the tires on the family buggy.  Sue and I have decided not to take a chance on the tire.  Now it's just a question of geting the best price.  Fortunately we've gotten some good leads through this string and do have some time on our side.

Bob & Sue

I'm glad you've decided not to take a chance on this damaged tire.  Saving a few bucks here could cost you a whole lot more in the long run because of repairs caused by a blown tire or, worse, an accident or fire caused by underinflation.

As to the tires, we noticed a big difference in ride after changing to the Goodyear RV tires and that's what we would go with if and when it comes time to replace them.

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom