Heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin

OK 06 Tour. It has a gas furnace in the back with a thermostat, and a true air, heat and air unit up front with gas or electric. Does the Electric only work down to a certain temp, then the gas kicks in to help it out?

I want the coach at 60, but the shop it is in is at 32, there is no wind or anything, but it's about 14outside. the coach has been staying around 60 fine, but I think the gas is doing the work, the gauge looks lower than before.

I opened the water bay door up, and have a electric heater pointed at it, not sure if this will do the trick or not. any thoughts? kevin

The heat pump(s) will "lock out" at somewhere around the mid to high 30's depending on humidity. When that happens, the system will default to the front LP furnace, normally kicking it on apx 3 degrees the setting you had for the heat pump. The rear LP furnace will function at whatever temp you have that thermostat set, presuming the furnace is turned on.

I would not leave any bay doors open as the LP furnace is putting a little heat into the basement, primarily where the water tanks are. Leavign a door open would let heat out and cold in. We have been in temps to 5 below for up to a week with no problems, but what I do in consistent weather in the low 20's/teens is put an auto trouble light or spot light in a metal shield in both the water service bay and the compartment where the water pump is. On my coach, I plug the water pump compartment light into the outlet on the outside of the coach, and just shut the door on the cord. For the water service bay, I can normally plug that light into the shore power pole 20a outlet. When I put mine in a couple of nights ago after several nights in the 20's, the remote thermometer in one compartment was showing 38 and the other 42 (I can read those remote temps from inside the coach). The next morning when I got up, both were showing 55.

What Paul said...

If the heat pump can't maintain the set temp, the propane furnace will automatically kick in once the temperature difference (set vs. actual) is more than five degrees assuming you have the thermostat in the  electric position.  For example, you set the thermostat to 70 degrees.  The heat pump is running but can't bring the temp up to 70 degrees.  After a period of time, the furnace will start.  I think the heat pump will auto-start a couple of more times, then give up.

went back over to check it, outside temp is now 7, inside the shop is 28, coach is at 60, the electric heater facing the bay door is still on and running, and the water hose in the bay is still flexible. opened up the fresh water valve, still runs out,opened up the winterize valves off the pump, and water still runs out too. so I think I'm good tonight. sure wish they made a good furnace (electric) though, I'm getting low on propane. :-[

Usually our propane will last all winter while we are docked at the ranch, not so this winter.  Need to get the coach out next week and take on propane.

I was afraid to leave a space heater in the MH with no one in it. Ran out of propane, today, so I moved the MH into the other shop that has heat, around 40 or so, so until I can get the gas back on in the other shop, it will stay in this one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom