Tire Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ustaxmaster

I have noticed semi tractors with one wide tire replacing the dual tires on the rig. I have also seen this on the trailer. Somewhere I read that these created less rolling resistance thereby increasing mpg (although a small increase) and they also increased load capacity.

Would these work for a motorhome? What about on the dually on Class C or say an F350 dually?

Michelin I believe has a "big" tire that takes the place of 2 tires.  We looked at them at a FMCA rally a couple of years back.  I personally would not want just one big tire on the rear axle of my coach for the single reason that if the tire failed, you would immediately be on the axle on the ground.  With dual tires at least you won't end up on the axle, because you have the support of the other tire.

This is the same reason I'm not fond of truck campers on single rear axles.  If you have a flat, you are on the axle with the weight to one side.

Marsha~

They introduced the one wide tire several years ago as a floatation tire for vehicles that go off road also: dump trucks, cement trucks, belly dump trailers etc.
  I guess for economical reasons they have advanced to full highway use. The load range of one must equal the load range of a pair of duals or they'd never get through the scales.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom