ipod won't open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

82corvette

Daughter told me she updated her iTunes from 8.2.1 to 9.0 last night and it gives here a message that she can't enter because the file was made with a newer version of iTunes. after 5 hrs scouring the internet reading abut this very problem I give up, I can't help her fix it. Anybody have this problem and were able to fix it? She is running student Vista on her laptop.

I sold my iPod and bought a Sandisk Sansa. It is one million times better than an iPod and Apple's extremely crappy software.

82corvette said:
Daughter told me she updated her iTunes from 8.2.1 to 9.0 last night and it gives here a message that she can't enter because the file was made with a newer version of iTunes.  She is running student Vista on her laptop.

Usually this means that the firmwear in the ipod is out of synch. Try updating the ipod.

It has nothing to do with the iPod. She cannot open iTunes on her laptop.  She has over 1500 songs in her library so buying a Sansa  is not an option.  Everything was great till she installed the 9.0 recommended by Apple.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/11/02/windows-7-itunes-9-iphone-issue-are-you-affected/

This talks about 32 vs 64 bit problems and the iphone.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/09/09/itunes-9-download/

commenter #42 got itunes to work by reinstalling vers 8

http://boardreader.com/thread/cant_open_Itunes_9_0_2_getting_message_i_7sarX1cclm.html

this person had permissions problems.

http://www.coderjournal.com/2007/02/setting-up-itunes-on-windows-vista-64-bit/
how to Setting up iTunes on Windows Vista 64-bit

I am amazed at the range of problems windows users are subjected too!

82corvette said:
It has nothing to do with the iPod. She cannot open iTunes on her laptop.  She has over 1500 songs in her library so buying a Sansa  is not an option.  Everything was great till she installed the 9.0 recommended by Apple.

Yes, it does have to do with iPod since you can't run and iPod without Apples crappy software.

rhmahoney said:
I am amazed at the range of problems windows users are subjected too!

Russ, that's because from the get go, Apple works hard to make their computers, and the toys they now make to support their lack of computer sales, "Incompatible" with the rest of the world.

Most of the world, 93% or so, does not use apple computers for that reason.

My iPod now sits in a drawer and I completely erased, after much effort, iTunes from all my non-Apple computers. Now, yes, I am not subjected to the problems they caused.

Looking forward to seeing you at QZ!! :)

Bob Buchanan said:
Russ, that's because from the get go, Apple works hard to make their computers, and the toys they now make to support their lack of computer sales, "Incompatible" with the rest of the world.

My iPod now sits in a drawer and I completely erased, after much effort, iTunes from all my non-Apple computers. Now, yes, I am not subjected to the problems they caused.

Looking forward to seeing you at QZ!! :)

AH.. but if you do have Apple they "just work". Don't think you can say that for a PC and a Zune.

BTW here's the latest about Apples market share.  "Apple market share tops 10%, Windows share lowest since tracking began"  See:http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/02/apple-market-share-tops-10-windows-share-lowest-since-tracking/

Chet18013 said:
AH.. but if you do have Apple they "just work". Don't think you can say that for a PC and a Zune.

BTW here's the latest about Apples market share.

Chet, that's the problem -- they "just" work, that's all. I really don't care about how good one is vs. the other (tho I would debate that issue). Way back when, Jobs and his sidekick decided to keep the architecture closed so no one could build a clone. Radio Shack took the same tack - but ultimately fell by the wayside because of that strategy. When IBM introduced their first open architecture PC, that was a great move for the rest of the world - and fried RS and is the reason Apple still only has 10%.

When I want a new computer, I build it. When I want a new mother board, I buy one at Fry's and install it. There's a section at Fry's (about 10% of the space) set aside for the "Apple Stuff" - with the higher price tags on everything. When I go the library only 10% of the books are on Apple, only 10% of my neighbors have Apples for me to share stuff with, only 10% of courses at JC's are about Apples -- and so forth. In 12 years marketing my SW to RV parks, have only had "2" that wanted to know if it would work on their Apple computer.

The study you reference is about OS's. The other 90% of computers sold, regardless of OS, are compatible at the hardware level. That is the reason I hate Apple. Of course, a goodly part of the 10% is because at the hardware level, there "is" a PC in there as well.  :) Not one PC has an Apple chip inside.

Excuse me, Chet, gotta run -- I have a few tracks I want to put on my Samsung Omni Smart phone. That involves opening Windows Explorer and dragging them over to the Omni. I just upgraded the storage myself (16g internal, 32g external). Oh, and if the battery needs changing, I will buy a new one and replace it. It is "so" much easier to work with than the iPod and iTunes -- and it just works . . . :)

rhmahoney said:
Problems windows users are subjected too!

So you are saying Apple users never have problems? Oh please, I have spent too much time trying to use Apple's crappy software.

"AH.. but if you do have Apple they "just work"

Huh??? Boy you sure have fanboy written all over you. Even if Apple has 10% of the market that still leaves Windows with 90%. Ask yourself why is this??? Because Windows is light years better than Apple. The Mac was introduced in 1984, Windows debuted in 1987. Even with a three year lead time by 1992 Apple was in the toilet.

Bob - Are you sure you got all of iTunes off your system? Bonjour needs a nuclear bomb to get rid of it.

She is running Vista student 32 bit and she is not even trying to dock the iPod so NO it has nothing to do with her iPod. She is just trying to access iTunes on her laptop to look at her library, it just gives her the message " The file iTunes library itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version.  This happened after iTunes update to 9.0.  It worked without any flaws with version 8.2.1  She finally uninstalled 9.0 and reinstalled 8.2 which did not help.  Apple is of no help & I found no help on any forums even from people who were having the same problems.  I know it is crappy software & there are better mp3 player but this is what she has and has 1500 songs she does want to keep on the computer.  The iPod is fine but she will never be able to dock if we don't figure this out.

The (potentially) good news is that the MP3s still (potentially) exist on her hard drive.  If she can track them down (Vista search allows you to search by media), she can back them up to an external hard drive.

Did she totally uninstall iTunes 9?  Is she able to get in to iTunes so she can access the Help menu?  There's an option there for "Run Diagnostics"?

I have iTunes 9 running under Vista-32 with no problems.

Bob Buchanan said:
Russ, that's because from the get go, Apple works hard to make their computers, and the toys they now make to support their lack of computer sales, "Incompatible" with the rest of the world. When Windows user were demanding the award winning iTunes, Apple went outside their model and entered the world of nothing works easily in the PC world.

I think you have that backwards. Apple goes to great lengths to make sure It just works. Controlling the whole banana keeps them form the enter the mess, called the PC world. PC user demanded the award winning iTunes and Apple was forced into the nothing works easily with a PC world.

How long did it take you to speak to 93% or so of the world to see the reason they use a PC?  I know for me I am forced to use a PC, I guess that takes it down to 92.99999 %.

seilerbird said:
Yes, it does have to do with iPod since you can't run and iPod without Apples crappy software.

You couldn't be more misinformed. There are many alternatives for getting music on an iPod. I suspect it's more a user problem then a software problem.  What alternatives have you used other then iTunes?  Many of them are drag and drop...

82corvette said:
Daughter told me she updated her iTunes from 8.2.1 to 9.0 last night and it gives here a message that she can't enter because the file was made with a newer version of iTunes. after 5 hrs scouring the internet reading abut this very problem I give up, I can't help her fix it. Anybody have this problem and were able to fix it? She is running student Vista on her laptop.

What file said that? That doesn't sound like a usual error message.

Bighorn said:
I think you have that backwards. Apple goes to great lengths to make sure It just works. Controlling the whole banana keeps them form the enter the mess, called the PC world. PC user demanded the award winning iTunes and Apple was forced into the nothing works easily with a PC world.

This is one of those discussions that no one wins or ever changes their point of view -- other than we find out who uses and Apple and who uses a PC.  So whatever machine, MP3 player, or Smart Phone you use, I wish you well . . .  :)

BTW, you may want to edit your post to me again -- it appears you have placed your response to my quote in the middle of my quote.

Thanks . . .

As to the growth of windows, that was due to the IBM effect and MS's copying of the Apple GUI...poorly.

I had to use windows at work towards the end of my career and detested it. Every time it crashed (at least daily) I went to the office door and screamed vituperation at the administrator across the hall.

The user interface in Windows is derived from the CUA (Common User Access) interface developed by IBM many years ago and also from technology developed at Xerox PARC, the same sources as Apple used to derive their UI.  Neither company has a claim on originality.

screamed vituperation at the administrator across the hall.
I'll bet that made it work better :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom