Direct TV is raising rates, again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got our bill today.  Up 6% this year.

In checking back, it has gone up every February.  Up 35% in the past 5 years for the same service.  Up 64% in the past 10 years for the same service.

Tom said:
One caveat for the friend ....

DTV receivers are no longer purchased (haven't been for a few years), and don't belong to the "purchaser". When you sell the RV and the new owners try to activate the receiver on their account, they're told they can't. Meanwhile, DTV asks the friend to send the receiver back or pay a hefty bill.

Don't ask how I know this, but being cooperative with the friend and having a cooperative new owner, neither of which are overly possessive of the receiver, can save the friend a lot of grief  ;)

No caveat, you don't leave the receiver in the RV if you sell it. Put it in your new RV or send it back to your friend if you no longer need it.

KodiakRV said:
Got our bill today.  Up 6% this year.

In checking back, it has gone up every February.  Up 35% in the past 5 years for the same service.  Up 64% in the past 10 years for the same service.

nice business model: need more $$$? raise rates, every year for current customers and advertise for new customers with much lower initial rates.  Reminds me of my taxes, health insurance, vehicle insurance and credit cards.  Ahhh, the magic of compound interest, at those rates, the cost will double every 8-9 years.

[quote author=RVRoadTrip]No caveat...[/quote]

It's a true story, and therefore the reason for the caveat. It was intended for a would-be friend who might be inclined to activate an additional receiver on their account. The friend has no control over whether the receiver is left in the RV.

In this case, it was a genuine error, because none of the parties realized it was a leased receiver until the new buyers tried to activate it on their account. Fortunately, everyone was cooperative, and the friend didn't need to pay big $$.

There's an ad in "Fortune" magazine this month (at the dentist's office) for Direct TV for commercial accounts... a selection of channels on news, sports, weather and music.  Get this, $34.95 PER YEAR!!!!  It's an introductory rate, of course, good for a year but $34.95 per year????  and we all pay more than that per month.  Unbelievable.

taoshum said:
There's an ad in "Fortune" magazine this month (at the dentist's office) for Direct TV for commercial accounts... a selection of channels on news, sports, weather and music.  Get this, $34.95 PER YEAR!!!!  It's an introductory rate, of course, good for a year but $34.95 per year????  and we all pay more than that per month.  Unbelievable.

I checked this ad and its $34.95/mo for 12 months for the lowest commercial account.

I bought a $13 set of rabbit ears from Amazon this week and found out I can get ~25 digital channels in my living room.  We're about 32 miles away from most of the transmitters.

I think the only thing that's keeping me on DirecTV is the Fox News Channel and the occasional use of it on RV trips...

Dish is no better. They restructured their rates so their best customers got the biggest increase. They are advertising that they didn't increase the prices for their packages, which they didn't. What they forgot to mention was that they increased their fees  by a substantial amount. I had two DVRs in my house. My monthly rate went up by $18, which was a substantial percentage increase.

It gave me the opportunity to review my service which resulted in a monthly bill substantially less that what it was before the increase. The reason is primarily greed. One business that hasn't suffered in the recession is entertainment and they are cashing in as much as they can.

Shame in us for letting them.

blueblood said:
I checked this ad and its $34.95/mo for 12 months for the lowest commercial account.

You're right, my bad... I read it quickly but incorrectly, thanks for the good eyes and correction.  It was hard to believe anyway.  Sorry for the mistake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom