Running the furance while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biz

Can and do people run their RV furnace while driving, we will be leaving for Fl in a couple of weeks and it's been downright cold in NC, just curious if we could run the propane furnace while driving?

On another note, the only winter prep on the RV was draining all lines and tanks by gravity, any opinion if I should expect problems since we have been in the teens for a few weeks. Never had an issue before, but never been in the teens either.
Thanks in advance

Yes i ran with mine on during my trip to Michigan on Saturday check on it frequently mine went out and everything froze.

>>the only winter prep on the RV was draining all lines and tanks by gravity, any opinion if I should expect problems<<

I think I'd be concerned about my fresh water lines.  Gravity draining often fails to get the water out of low spots and the trapped water freezes, expands, and cracks the line.  That's why folks blow out their lines using an air compressor or put antifreeze into the system.  I'd recommend taking on some fresh water and checking things out on a warm day.  Be sure to check your sink and bathtub traps for leaks since gravity wouldn't have taken care of the water in them either.
Good luck,
Herm

Was wondering, if you do have to run the furnace while travelling down the road, I'm guessing that you also need to run the generator so that the fan works?  I'm fairly new at this RVings stuff....LOL.

While we're on the Furnace topic I was wondering if it's bad to keep the heat on ALL day long. I full time and in GA its really cold right now. I usually don't spend all day in my motorhome but today I did and was wondering if having the heat on ALL day and night is bad???? Just to clarify I keep it on auto and at "60 degrees" so it kicks on only when it drops below 60 which is every 5 minutes. Thanks.

Biz - Yes, we can and do run the furnace while driving if it's chilly.  Just like we run the roof A/C when it's very hot.

RuthandKenCDN - The furnace doesn't need the generator, but the A/C does and yes we run the generator while driving too.

Brian - I don't know why you couldn't leave the furnace on all day, especially since it only kicks on when it falls below a certain temperature.  In fact, ours got left on today by mistake and we didn't realize it until a short while ago when it kicked on.  It was warm and sunny today here in Southern California so it probably wasn't really on all day.  Anyway, you don't want stuff freezing so you should keep it on if it stays cold.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom