Something ate my FireFox bookmarks from toolbar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greetings, gang!

Help!  I opened FireFox this morning and all but three of my bookmarks were gone off the bookmarks toolbar.  I had a LOT of them.  I rebooted and still not there.

I didn't install anything new on FireFox.  Any ideas on how to get them back?  Is this a known issue?

TIA for any help.

It sounds like you may have somehow opened a new profile.  You can open the profile manager in Firefox by adding -P to the shortcut. That will show you all the profiles and if you have more than one, then you may be in the wrong one.

If it's not a profile problem, then go to Mozillla Support and search on missing bookmarks for some possible solutions.

Ned said:
I You can open the profile manager in Firefox by adding -P to the shortcut.

Ned, type "-p" where, exactly?? 

I spend two hours poring over info and messages on the Mozilla site before I posted here..  None were exactly my problem. I realize that the solution might not be simple.

I finally uninstalled all the plug-ing/add-ons that did't really trip my trigger.  I finally got ALL the bookmarks in the toolbar, not just the first 3.

I'll go back to the firefox site.

You add the -P (note the upper case P) to the shortcut that starts Firefox.  But the KB I pointed you to should have a solution, it's not an uncommon problem but can have many causes, not necessarily the fault of Firefox.

If you have the bookmarks in the Bookmarks Toolbar, you can use the Bookmarks | Organize Bookmarks, to rearrange them as you like.  It would still be good to know what happened.  It sounds like an extension caused it, it would be good to know which one.

ZuniJayne said:
Greetings, gang!

Help!  I opened FireFox this morning and all but three of my bookmarks were gone off the bookmarks toolbar.  I had a LOT of them.  I rebooted and still not there.

I didn't install anything new on FireFox.  Any ideas on how to get them back?  Is this a known issue?

TIA for any help.

Hope you got them back via the profile switch...

Have you ever exported your bookmarks to an HTML file? I do it at least 2-3 times a week and
esp. after adding several or reorganizing them.....also email that file to yourself and you
can have your bookmarks with you always if you go to another system, say at a library
or with a friend and want to show them something and dont have your laptop...just log
into your email on their cpu and voila your bookmarks are there...

R

Those articles on missing bookmarks will also have told you that Firefox keeps multiple backup sets of bookmarks in a folder in your profile, so if the places.sqlite file gets corrupted you can recover them from the latest backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.

Ned said:
Those articles on missing bookmarks will also have told you that Firefox keeps multiple backup sets of bookmarks in a folder in your profile, so if the places.sqlite file gets corrupted you can recover them from the latest backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.

Note' bene' ---

My backup folder was corrupted because FF saved and backed-up a corrupted BM folder to begin with...
it only happened a couple of times...but took days to get all my bm's recovered going to backup
CD's, disks and and older computer....and the same thing that ate your original bm file is clearly
able to eat the backup file in the worst case *(albeit infrequent, but has happened to one of
my customers) scenario.

so I strongly advise (as a computer nerd also mind you!) to export your BM's into an hypertext file as I
mentioned before...nothing like a manual archive of absolutely-positively safe backup....but I also
speak from one that has over 750 bookmarks and use them technically/professionally....and then make
sure you backup your docs, pics, etc weekly if not more often onto an external media such as a
500GB USB-powered hard drive ($99 Seagate I believe I bought)..everytime I have a new camera load onto the
laptop I run a backup...takes only 30 minutes for my 10,000 plus pics and 40 GB of music....

-- or the newer solid state drives as soon as the prices come down further...

R

I have 6 days of bookmark backups and I would certainly notice if my bookmarks were corrupted long before 6 days had elapsed.  Of course, there is no substitute for a good backup scheme, including both local and offsite backups, of all important files.  That includes the Firefox and Thunderbird profile folders.

I have the X-Marks add on, My bookmarks are sent to an off-site comptuer that stores them and when I log on with my other comptuer it is supposed to restore this computer's bookmark file to the other computer.

Problem is sometimes it "Merges" (So moved or deleted bookmarks get dupilcated or restored)

There is a way around this.  Just so you know.. but it can be happy

There is also a bookmark Backup add on.

The bookmarks file is no longer bookmarks.htm (or html) it's got a new name .. Places something as I recall.. Should be in documents & settings,  Computer active profile name Application data..and follow from there  (Mozilla, Firefox, Profiles and so on)

Search for Places.sqlite using the windows search tool from the START menu.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom