multi-use van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfscuba

aloha!

i am interested in acquiring a used van and adding some custom touches to suit my needs.
it would be my primary car for getting around and also want to be able to camp and hit the beaches with it with space for a surfboard or jetski or dirt bike.
think i need something modular and space-saving like a flip-up bed and rubber liner for the outdoor gear/vehicles area. i could just use a porta-potty and camping stove and batteries.

a lot of people in hawaii live in their vans and shower and clean up at the public beaches. weather's always good and lots of free beach showers and they seem to be happy sitting in their lawn chairs drinking longboard.
most of their vans are large passenger window vans with lots of curtains in them including some real old vw vans with paisley curtains and peace sign stickers parked next to waikiki beach.

i would like more stealth capability to be able to unobtrusively sleep or camp anywhere. would a white econoline-type cargo van be better than a conversion or passenger van for stealth? seems cargo would be better in more commercial areas but they are targets for break-ins by tool hunters and the like. family-type vans may blend better in residential areas near apartment complexes,etc., plus not stick out like a white cargo van in the woods or on a beach.

anyone customized a similar van with similar criteria or have any tips or suggestions?

mahalo!
(actually from joisey but gotta blend in)

haha Good idea GKman!  Maybe a little off topic but I have a friend who used to live in a mini-van...  Very low profile except for the large windows.  Your probably looking for a little more space though.

ahh, I miss my van conversion, had many many roadmiles and trips in that thing.
It was just a standard van with the slide door (82 chevy) windows on the back
but not the sides. I built one bed, used the measurements for a single sleeping
bag size and the top lifted up to provide storage underneath around the wheel
well on the drivers side. A closet at the head of the bed, (near the back side of
the wheel well) and behind the closet was the porta potti. There was also space
at the foot of the bed and behind the drivers seat for a standard size cooler.
The otherside was a built in cabinet with a sink at the end that I could access
easily from the door standing at ground level. The water in the sink worked with
a little hand pump you could purchase at camping world. Used a solar bag for
hot water, hung it on the side of the van in the sunshine.  Both of the seats
swiveled around so we could sit facing the interior of the van. Had a table built
over the doghouse that gave us eating space. Had everything I needed, dual
batteries, tv, stereo, lights, rear heater, used my portable campstove for cooking.
Only thing I wanted on it was an awning. I also had a fan put in at the ceiling vent
near the back. Wow, that brought back memories, sure miss that old van, just might
have to make another one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom