Tank less/in-line water heaters to replace 6 gal. propane leaking water h

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt and Danielle

Hello all,
Well our water heater has been eaten from the inside out. Neither us nor the the previous owners replaced the anode, ever. Anyway, since I currently do not have any running water I am researching tank less/in-line water heaters to replace our 6 gallon propane leaking water heater. I have looked at all the relevant postings I could find here on the matter. What worries me most is the amount of electricity the tank less units use. (Boon docking purposes). I'd prefer something which runs on propane if I can. Below are the water heaters I am considering. I would really appreciate some input on them if anyone has used them or knows more about them.  It is just the two of us full timing in our class A, I feel we are reasonable about our hot water usage.

EZ 101 Tankless Water Heater - Natural Gas - Portable - Battery Powered Ignition - Camping - RV

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-101-Tankless-Water-Heater/dp/B00332BTX4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263492844&sr=8-4

Bosch AE-9.5 PowerStar 1.5 GPM Point-Of-Use Indoor Tankless Electric Water Heater

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-AE-9-5-PowerStar-Tankless-Electric/dp/B000H5VJ0I/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in_f

Thanks
Danielle

The Bosch AE-9.5 is out of the question for an RV as it requires 240V 40A power.

The EZ 101 is intended to be installed in open air and would be hard to fit into an RV.  It's also not intended for indoor installation.

If you do find a suitable tankless water heater for your RV, others would be interested, I'm sure.  I suspect that if there were such an appliance, some manufacturers would offer it as an option and I don't know of any RVs that offer that.

My parents first TT in the 60's had one as a standard.

they make one that replaces a standard hot water heater it's the same form factor but is quite expensive IIRC $600-800.
I think it's a rv600

I saw one on ebay that was ventless that doesn't mean it can be inside but doesn't require a forced vent.

We installed a 12V in line heater in a Pace Arrow to supplement the 6 gal hot water heater for showers for five. We were never satisfied because you had to keep the flow very slow to have a constant temperature.

I would be careful of a on demand water heater.  I am in the water treatment/plumbing business and we have seen problems with them if not used with softened water.  Due to the rapid heating and smaller passageways it makes the hardness fall out of solution and restrict the flow and ability to process heated water.  I would suggest a portable small water conditioner with a inline prefilter if you go with one.  good luck

glen54737 said:
Is that right or is it 120v?
How much power does it take?

It was only 10 amps at 12 volts whiuch was the reason it couldn't heat enough waterat a consistent temperature.

I keep looking into this every few years and still have a regular water heater with a tank.

The electric tankless water heaters, to work properly, require more electricity than is available in most houses, let alone in an RV.  We're talking somewhere north of 60 amps at 240 volts, here.  Sure you can get buy with less, if you keep the flow rates low and live/park in Florida where the water is fairly warm coming out of the tap.

The propane tankless units are problematic from a vibration and venting standpoint for RV use and have a mixed record even in the residential uses where they would seem to make the most sense.

I think the reason that tankless WHs are rare in MHs is that they are expensive and require very high rates of energy or power to get water hot quickly.  I'd have to run the numbers but it would not surprise me if it takes about 2 KW/hr to generate a few gallons of 120 deg F water per minute.  Or 15-20 amps at 120VAC, or 150-200 amps at 12VDC or half a gallon of propane where as if you are willing to wait 30 minutes or an hour, your can heat 10 gallons to 130 to 140 deg F for far less energy, then mix it with cold water to take a shower.  Plus with adequate insulation, the water will stay pretty hot for hours.  The very high rates of energy for tankless hot water also pose challenges to the coach designers to not let anything else get too hot.  M2c's FWIW.

BruceinFL said:
Joel,

Say it isn't so! What's up with the Sunnybrook?

Thread Drift Warning....

The 2004 Sunnybrook is fine.  The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We keep looking.  Haven't found anything that pushes over the buy threshold.

Aren't you on #3?

Joel

joelmyer said:
Thread Drift Warning....

We keep looking.  Haven't found anything that pushes over the buy threshold.

Aren't you on #3?

Joel

Same here. Think we have a keeper.

I look at this website http://www.tanklesswaterheatersdirect.com/shop/tanklesswaterheaters/precisontemp/rv500waterheatermainpage.asp they have them cost about $1100.00

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom