Gem cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Anyone know anything about the Chrysler Daimler Gem cars?? We looked at one yesterday and might buy it for our winter resort place.? Not only is it street ready, but we can flick a switch and it becomes a golf cart running at turf speed instead of street speed.? Charges off standard house voltage.

Smoky said:
Anyone know anything about the Chrysler Daimler Gem cars? 

Smoky,

I had a Gem car for a couple of weeks when I first stayed at Happy Trails.  It was a 4 seat model and I liked it.  I think Par car and Gem car are both very nice.  Take your GPS with you when you do the test drive to see what the top speed really is.  Golf car dealers are about as honest as used car dealers.  :)

Phil

Smoky,

That is a very fancy golf cart. When they say "street legal" what are the limitations?  For example I assume you can't drive that on the interstate. Do you get standard auto insurance?

caltex said:
That is a very fancy golf cart. When they say "street legal" what are the limitations?  For example I assume you can't drive that on the interstate. Do you get standard auto insurance?

Jim,

In Arizona, licensed golf carts can be driving on roads that are posted 35mph or lower.  A rear view mirror, headlights, taillights and brake lights are required.  Liability insurance is required.

Phil

Well, we ended up getting a 1993 Western, which, I understand, is a fancy body on an EZGo chassis.  Was leaning very hard for the GEM car, but in the end, the Admiral ruled, liking the very pretty refurbished Western, and my logic told me there must be some reason that EZGo has 45% of the golf car market.  I call them golf carts, but I discovered these days the street ready ones are called Golf Cars.  We got a street ready version, but do not plan to take it out on the public streets.  My understanding is that if we stay on the resort property, we do not need insurance.  Hope this is true.

Smokey

My insurer (State Farm) covers golf carts under homeowners if they are used only for golf. Other use requires a separate policy (I am talking liability insurance).  Got a picture of the fancy body?

I accept delivery on Tuesday, so hopefully by Tuesday evening I can upload a picture on my RonSat.? ?;D

Oh gosh, insurance.? Seems like whenever I have a question that involves shelling out more bucks, the answer is always the highest number in the outward direction.? Dang, never thought about the insurance aspect. :mad:

Smokey when it comes to insurance, just remember the old credit card saying  "Don't leave home without it."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom