What can you tell us about Texas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean & Linda Stock

Dean and I are going to Texas in February-March-April.  I've done quite a bit of research using the internet and AAA book.  Are there any "don't miss" experiences you've had?  Or any "I wish we had missed" experiences?  Awful places you took your RV and had problems getting turned around? Restaurants?  RV Parks? Tourist sites? Are there lots of mosquitoes down by the gulf? 

We are visiting Sonora, Kerrville, Boerne, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Kingsville, Brownsville, Port Isabella, Harlingen, Rio Hondo, McAllen, Mission, the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley SP, Port Aransas, Rockport, Austwell, Port Lavaca, Needville, Katy, Huston, Anahuac, Port Arthur, Beaumont, Big Thicket National Preserve, Huntsville, Ajustin, Hillsboro, Glen Rose, Dallas, Fort Worth, Muleshoe, Canyon, Amarillo.

Thanks, RVForumers.  You made our 2009 Alaska trip a "dream come true" with all your suggestions.  I think we went with every suggestion we were given.

Linda

Big, flat, and takes a lot of time to drive across!  There are tons of bugs in the Texas hill country, and down by the Gulf. Especially the later in the year that you get.  There are a lot of nice areas in Texas,  but a lot of wide open nothing too.  We went to Big Bend National park once in about September.  Big Bend had the distinction of being the "least visited" National park in the country.  We arrived and it was empty.  We set up camp about 2:00 PM and made dinner.  A few hours later we were being swarmed by millions of bugs!  Nice park, just not at that time of year! 

Padre Island National Seashore, near Corpus Christi is a fantastic spot to camp on the beach. Malaquite Beach, and it is free.

Wow!  Lots of places!  You will wish you spent more time in the Hill Country!  Beautiful scenery and friendly people!  We miss our "home" state!

Dean & Linda Stock said:
Dean and I are going to Texas in February-March-April.  I've done quite a bit of research using the internet and AAA book.  Are there any "don't miss" experiences you've had?  Or any "I wish we had missed" experiences?  Awful places you took your RV and had problems getting turned around? Restaurants?  RV Parks? Tourist sites? Are there lots of mosquitoes down by the gulf? 

We are visiting Sonora, Kerrville, Boerne, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Kingsville, Brownsville, Port Isabella, Harlingen, Rio Hondo, McAllen, Mission, the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley SP, Port Aransas, Rockport, Austwell, Port Lavaca, Needville, Katy, Huston, Anahuac, Port Arthur, Beaumont, Big Thicket National Preserve, Huntsville, Ajustin, Hillsboro, Glen Rose, Dallas, Fort Worth, Muleshoe, Canyon, Amarillo.

Thanks, RVForumers.  You made our 2009 Alaska trip a "dream come true" with all your suggestions.  I think we went with every suggestion we were given.

Linda

I recommend that you give us an idea of what your interests are so that we may better make recommendations that are more to your liking.  Some of the places you mention generally are best to simply travel through and keep going.  There is a lot of Texas that one could spend days/weeks/months doing what they like and others that just driving through will yield nothing.  I think the Hill Country is hard to beat, but I'm somewhat biased as I live on the edge of it.

When you are in the San Antonio area we have a lot about 35 miles north of the city in the hill country with a buddy pad.  You are more than welcome come and stay with us.  We will be back at the lot the middle of Feb. and will be staying until the beginning of May. 

I can give you info on the the towns down by the border you mentioned. From South Padre Island to Rio Grande City. I live in Mission and can tell you that those months tend to be very varied when it comes to weather and climate. One day can be awful hot, another day can be fresh or another windy or rainy. If you here by February, there are still many RV parks that host events specially targeted for Winter Texans, so there is always something to do or see. March and April they migrate back to their states and the local average attractions, is what is left. March is the month for South Padre Island (next to Port Isabel). Lots of people and events. Of course most events are targeted for young college kids, since is one of the hottest spots for college students to flock to. If you are into Bird Watching, then  the towns along the border will be fun for you (Harlingen, McAllen, Mission etc..). If you want a little taste of Mexico, a rather safe place to visit, is Nuevo Progresso which is right across the border from Weslaco, TX. Many Winter Visitors go there specifically for cheap medicine and food among other things like the typical crafts. Let us know what your plans are and maybe the members on this forum who live on those places you plan to visit can help you with schedules of events or places to eat.

What Betty said - Come to Quartzsite (Linda !!) and we'll give you lots of poop on Texas. We might even show you pictures.

Don't forget that there are 4 other missions in San Antonio besides the Alamo. They are active Catholic parishes with the National Park Service handling the historic aspects. The Alamo is an "historic shrine" run by the Daughters of the Texas Revolution. IMO, the other 4 are much more interesting than that silly old Alamo.

Wendy

Wendy said:
...are much more interesting than that silly old Alamo.

Wendy

Oh Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. THE Alamo is sacred. Davy Crockett fought and died there. Shame on you ;D

Hi Linda!

The Hill Country  - Austin is a neat town.  See the State Capitol building.  Austin also has a very well done Texas history museum.  You can take a World War II "duck" ride out onto a lake.  It's a vintage amphibious vehicle that drives on both the road and water.  Jerry got to drive it out of the water onto land and had a blast.

Fredericksburg is nearby and it has a wonderful museum in the former Admiral Chester Nimitz family's hotel (he grew up there) - it's the Nimitz museum about the War in the Pacific (WW II for you youngsters).  We went for a few hours and spent 1.5 days.  It's arranged chronologically and around the walls at ceiling level it tells what else was happening at the same time elsewhere in the world.  That was a wonderful way of putting everything in perspective because my high school history book had only one page on all of WW II which was still too recent.

The Alamo has a good museum too.  I'm with Seilerbird on that one - you can't miss the Alamo.  Their museum brings it alive.  Texas is the only state to have been it's own country and you'll learn all about that at the Alamo.

We happen to like Big Bend.  It has a stark beauty with huge terrain.  The little town of Lajitas is where General Pershing chased Pancho Villa across the Rio Grande and down into Mexico.

Hope to see you soon!

ArdraF

seilerbird said:
Oh Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. THE Alamo is sacred. Davy Crockett fought and died there. Shame on you ;D

Wendy!!

It's like the American flag..! The Alamo is soooooooooooooooooooooo  sacred...we might
all be speaking another language if not for that bit of history thread the Alamos started..., eh?

When I saw Hue fall during Tet, yes...I thought of the Alamo...because the stone walls and
structure of some of the buildings in Hue resemble the Alamo freakily...history repeating itself???
lol

shame shame!!  ;D

FrontrangeRVer said:
Wow!  Lots of places!  You will wish you spent more time in the Hill Country!  Beautiful scenery and friendly people!  We miss our "home" state!
Tell me more.  The only reason I didn't plan to spend more time in the Hill Country is because I don't know about it.  What is there to do?  Where can we see animals there?  You said "more time"--which places that we may be going to are in "Hill Country"?

Bob Maxwell said:
March and April Bluebonnet and wildflower season --NOT TO BE MISSED!
Are they everywhere in the state, or is there someplace special we should go to see them?  The only Bluebonnet I've ever seen was on the outside of a margarine container, so I'd love to see them.

Lorna said:
When you are in the San Antonio area we have a lot about 35 miles north of the city in the hill country with a buddy pad.  You are more than welcome come and stay with us.  We will be back at the lot the middle of Feb. and will be staying until the beginning of May.
Thanks so much!  I still am in the planning stages and don't know where we'll be when, yet.  But, you will definitely hear from us.  What a generous offer!

Linda

sheltie said:
I recommend that you give us an idea of what your interests are so that we may better make recommendations that are more to your liking.  Some of the places you mention generally are best to simply travel through and keep going.  I think the Hill Country is hard to beat, but I'm somewhat biased as I live on the edge of it.
We love seeing Nature--birds, animals, flowers.  We also like interesting museums, small and large, things that are unique, Native American culture, arts & crafts.  We like good food, especially regional foods and homemade foods.  Unfortunately, due to arthritis, physical activities are a "no go" for me.  What places are best to simply travel through and keep going, so we don't spend extra time just twiddlling our thumbs in the middle of nowhere?  What should we see in the Hill Country, and where is it?

Fred G. said:
I can give you info on the the towns down by the border you mentioned.

Your information is just what I was hoping for.  When our itinerary is firmed up a bit, I'll post a "proposed itinerary".  We LOVE retirement and the ability to leave places that disappoint and spend extra time when we strike gold and are having a great time.  So, we make an itinerary, but we don't stick to it.

Linda

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom