'Lite'????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "lite" campers are usually all aluminum construction (frame, floor, walls, roof).  Were standard trailers are generally steel.  Also some of the "lite" units that we had looked had smaller water and waste tanks, than some of the standard trailers.

I am sure that their are other differences that I don't know of, but these are a couple that I have noticed.

Tks PHS:
My main concern is durability. We don't camp a lot - a week to ten days twice a year is all the time various jobs etc allow.
We do a lot of back roads (forestry, gravel, dirt etc and get into some tight-ish spots).
So far I have heard of wood, welded alum., and bolted alum..
Read the article in the 'library' which is good, but doesn't really answer the ? of which is better under what circumstances?
I'll be pulling with a 1996 F250 3/4 T extended cab diesel (only 120k kms) which has been carrying a camper (now sold hence the llok for a trailer)

Lie can mean a variety of things, but the bottom line is that sacrifices were made to save weight. That means lighter materials and components used wherever the builder thought he could get away with it. If rugged were a criteria of mine, I would not be looking at "lite".

Certainly one could build a lighter version of any design and not necessarily sacrifice strength or quality, but that usually comes at a cost that few are willing to pay. This a "lite' trailer is more likely to skimp than anything else.

That wasn't always the case. When Holiday Rambler and a few others first introduced weight-saving aluminum frames and sidewalls, such models often has "lite" in their name and they were still well built. But as fuel prices soared and cat tow ratings dived, lighter weights became an RV industry mantra and lots of models were introduced to appeal to the demand for lighter rigs. "Lie" in those generally means "less".

Gary, want to buy a T?

Coaches like the Surveyor are actually light, but well built and still in reasonable price range.

I'm sure there must be some decent "lite" models - there are always some good examples of any breed.

Bill: Word is they finally started repairs on my coach - maybe I'll get it back some day before I'm too old to enjoy it!

Airstreams are, in many cases, light for their square footage (though this is not true of the "classic" models because of the heavier cabinetry and trim).  You also may wish to consider Casita and Scamp, which though small, are light.

Also, a trailer with slide outs will weigh more than a trailer that is longer (so that the square footage is the same) but lacks slide outs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom