Death Valley diversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RLSharp said:
Wendy,

How about including a trip to Death Valley in your potential "change"?? Several of us need a couple of experienced guides for our planned trip to DV after Quartzsite.  Pease!!

Richard and Linda

Never fear! DV is quite self-guiding....don't miss the canyon hikes from Furnace Creek and Stove Pipe wells...
(Moasic canyon and Golden Canyon....)  go all the way to the top of the mountain at the
end of the canyon..beautiful hike...We have spent a month there and cannot wait to go back....

And Scotty's castle is worth the extra mile!

here are some of our pic links for you:

http://deathvalley2009.blogspot.com/

http://deathvalleymosiac.blogspot.com/

Click on the pics to get his res version

Mastermtn said:
Never fear! DV is quite self-guiding....

Richard,

Thanks for the information but we are really twisting the arms of Mike and Wendy to join( lead us)  us. 

I'll give you details at Quartzsite. Your itinerary sound so much fun!

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Richard,

Thanks for the information but we are really twisting the arms of Mike and Wendy to join (lead us)  us. 

I'll give you details at Quartzsite. Your itinerary sound so much fun!

Betty

Betty,

Unless Mastermtn's name is Richard, you are thanking the wrong person. Linda and I have never been to Death Valley.

I do agree that Mastermtn's pictures are very good. All we need now is a guide to get us to those spots. Wendy and Mike?? Betty have you and Terry been to Death Valley? We sure hope that we can get at least three or four RVs to make the trip. We are unable to do Death Valley next year, so we definitely plan to go this year. Anybody else interested?

Richard

RLSharp said:
Betty,

Unless Mastermtn's name is Richard, you are thanking the wrong person. Linda and I have never been to Death Valley.

I do agree that Mastermtn's pictures are very good. All we need now is a guide to get us to those spots. Wendy and Mike?? Betty have you and Terry been to Death Valley? We sure hope that we can get at least three or four RVs to make the trip. We are unable to do Death Valley next year, so we definitely plan to go this year. Anybody else interested?

Richard

Yes...Mastermtn = Richard and thank you kindly for the pic compliment...I hope you clicked on them
to get the full depth of hi-res....

and you cannot mss the trails heads..they are all clearly signed and there is only one road through
Furnace Creek and Wells...(same road) and the maps are clear....

Whomever goes I am sure you will have fun..

Note' Bene'  --  bring your own firewood if you like fires...not allowed to pick up in the Park
and it is very pricey...we brought a weeks worth in from the forest we camped in prior
(I carry a small electric 12" chain saw which is great for making firewood out of downed
trees...and just for good meausure I get a cutting permit in my forest..)

Happy trails and enjoy...don't forget to get to Scotty castle tour...the main one..unless you
are en engineer or like that stuff..the basement tour is not that good....unlike Karchner
Caverns...where both cavern tours are really "mandatory!"  lol

We also had some great hikes this last fall at Joshua....

Here is a link to that:

http://joshua-tree-nov-2009.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

Richard

We're still planning on going to DV.  Although we've been there previously, we really would like Mike and Wendy to join us to share their in depth knowledge and experience of the park.

Ned said:
We're still planning on going to DV.  Although we've been there previously, we really would like Mike and Wendy to join us to share their in depth knowledge and experience of the park.

I'm sure everyone knows this..but I thought I would toot in anyway and
recommend reservations as the CG gets full quickly..We enjoyed
site #104 because it is under a tree and a little more private (ifI have
my #s correct)..so many CG's this year!! LOL...

Here is a link:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Furnace_Creek_Ca/r/campsiteSearch.do?site=all&type=9&minimal=no&search=site&criteria=new&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70978&search=site

Here is a pic from our last visit to Death Valley with the RVForum group in Jan 2001.

Attachments

• snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 64
Must have been warm snow, Terry - you've been wearing long pants and shoes here !

Campgrounds in DV - You really only need reservations for Furnace Creek and then only during a few busy times like 49ers, Thanksgiving, and spring break. Sunset, Stovepipe Wells, and Mesquite are never a problem (well, except for Sunset during 49ers).

Scotty's Castle - Don't miss it if you've never been there. Sorry, Rich, we like the basement tour. But then, we lived and worked there and saw things others would have missed on that tour. Plus, we found the air conditioning system interesting since it wasn't there when we were working there. We had the joy of experience the interior of the house at 90+ degrees.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Scotty's Castle - Don't miss it if you've never been there. Sorry, Rich, we like the basement tour. But then, we lived and worked there and saw things others would have missed on that tour. Plus, we found the air conditioning system interesting since it wasn't there when we were working there. We had the joy of experience the interior of the house at 90+ degrees.

Wendy

s'ok Wendy...as an engineer I should have enjoyed it...guess I had already read about in detail
a' prior'  so it did not send me....however IMHO it was great enginneering for the timeframe...

R

Terry - you've been wearing long pants and shoes here !

Terry, long pants, shoes, Quartzsite ... we're missing big events!  We remember the "good ol' days" and wish we were there.  Enjoy everyone!  ;D ;D ;D

Margi

Terry A. Brewer said:
Here is a pic from our last visit to Death Valley with the RVForum group in Jan 2001.

Last time I had snow experience in DV was at Telescope peak...we climbed that in March from
Mahogany flat and camped at Rose wells CG...it was awesome..but kinda dumb in retrospec...
two guys slogging up 16 hours in 2 feet of snow with no trail! Yikes...I must have been out of
my mind...but at 11,000 feet it was not the toughest mountain I have ever climbed...my buddy
on this trip, Mike, has attempted K2...never summited but lived to tell about it! I drew the line
there...

Here is the link:  (Picture is compliment of anon...lost our cam as we slid down the mountain! ugh)

http://07telescope.blogspot.com/2010/01/telescope-peak-winter-summit.html

So where were you in the DV snow in that pic?

Rich aka Mastermtn (cause I climb mountains! lol)

Richard,
Terry and I plan to make a trip to Death Valley right after Quartzsite.  We  plan to leave on Monday morning 1/25 and welcome all attendees.  We think  Lou Schneider will be going, you and Linda, Ned and Lorna and who else????  We want to  have a get together at Quartzsite of those who want to continue on with us to Death Valley.  Our plan is to stay 4 nights  5 days, there in a boon dock  camp situation .  So anyone else in?

Betty

Betty,

Don't complain about the weather in Q.S
Here in the Bay area we are going through our 4 th. storm this week, rain rain and more rain, 3 times hail today, Tornado warning in Morgan Hill where we store our motorhome. Grapevine closed, Tehachapie snow.
We had Indio, Anza Borego, Q.site and DV. on our calender but the foot surgery kept us home. Going back to the hospital to morrow to have the hard cast removed and another EKG. Depending on the outcome it may result in another hard cast, boot or shoe. After 9 months I need to get back to a shoe so I can drive again. I let you know tomorrow the outcome and if there is a chance to make it to DV. The weather may clear up over the weekend. The motorhome has been parked for 9 months and needs some prepping if we can make it. What day do you expect to be in DV. when you leave Q.S Monday morning.
Despite the weather we wish we could have been In Q.Z. Say hello to the framily

chris & Mimi

Chris and Mimi,

We're thinking of you both and wish you were here. Good luck at the hospital in the morning, we want to see you on the road again.

Thanks Tom,

You should consider going to D.V.  I know you and Chris love boondocking :)

chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom