Another Eternabond Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I had my sidewall to roof seams re-sealed with NuFlex 640 about a year ago.  I already have cracks in the seal again.  I am pondering having Eternabond tape applied.  I have not considered it before because I have full body paint. 

Has anyone used Eternabond on their sidewall to roof seams with full body paint.  If so, what color tape did you use and was the color difference noticeable?  What width tape do you use for this application.

Hi John & Rex....One of my favorite subjects ::). I have the material in house to put Eternabond Web Seal (2" width) on the roof joints. Like you Rex I have had enough of the sealant failures. I have been looking into this for some time. There was someone (might be on IRV2) that had done this on a full body paint job about two years ago and it held up fine so far. I can't remember anymore who it was. He put on the Web Seal from Eternabond. The Web Seal is the only type that can be painted. I spoke to Eternabond Mfg. about what I wanted to do and he indicated it would be fine to do so with the Web Seal as well. No primer is needed, which I assumed I would have to apply prior to the finish paint. My concern was that possible joint expansion might crack the paint but who ever had already done this had no problems with the paint.  I also looked into the 3M product that came out about 6 months ago. I had 3M send me a couple of samples. It is thicker than the Web Seal and has a semi clear finish when installed and is also paintable. I don't think it will work as well as the Web Seal product due to its thickness which will probably attract dirt to the edges and allow for more movement thus affecting the paint, so I am going with my original plan to install the Web Seal. I don't know when I will tackle the job but definitely before it gets hot again in FL.

Harry - so the plan I assume is to paint the Etrnabond?  I think I'll have Winnie factory service look mine over this summer and maybe go the Etrnabond route later depending on yours and Rex's experiences  :D

Harry,

How do you plan to paint the Eternabond?  My paint scheme changes three colors at the roof edge.  The Eternabond web site says the webseal product must be painted with a UV protectant.  And, they say it can be tinted.  I wonder about the longevity of painted webseal vs. roof seal with UV protectant built in?

A person might be able to hand paint the Eternabond with a brush.  At that height, I don't think anyone could see the brush strokes.

I am also pondering how a 2 inch strip of black tape would look at that level.  When I replaced the horizontal trim on my slide-out I first thought the black trim piece would be noticeable.  Now, after completing the job it looks like an accent color applied at the factory.  I might try to find a 2 inch black tape at Home Depot to see how it might look.

Rex ... my plan is to hand paint and match each of the colors (4) as they are at the moment. I need to speak to someone at an auto body shop about this yet. I want to use the type of paint that is applied to the plastic bumpers on cars which has greater flexability than standard paint. I also would like to apply a clear coat again to help with UV protection. I don't know if this can be applied by hand.

The black tape is a good idea to get a preview of how it might look as an solid strip.  I don't have any black colors on my coach other than the windshield surrounds, so I am not sure how this would look.

I had the same idea about tinting the primer to match, however the Eternabond rep. indicated that paint would be all that is needed to provide Web Seal with the required UV protection. The primer he sells is meant as a prep for surfaces (such as tar roofs) prior to applying Web Seal

I used a rattle can of 'Adhesion Promoter' bought at an auto part store when I sprayed the plastic bumpers of my ranch mini-truck.  I sprayed the adhesion promoter first, then a spray coat of enamel.

That was a year ago and no problems with the paint sticking so far.

Interesting thread.  We have the white E bond on our rig and it is stuck fast.  However, we are investigating a full body paint job and understand the existing Ebond will have to be removed beforehand.  My plan would be to pick a color scheme that minimizes the number of colors at the top and to use a paintable version of Ebond. 

Anyone ever try removing eternabond?  I'm thinking it will be a real chore.

You guys that are in the Southeast that need some paintwork done may be interested in a long-time friend that can help you.  His business for years has been painting gold leaf art and lettering on the transoms of mega-yachts.  As you can assume his business has shrunk significantly with the current economy.  He recently painted the graphics on my moho and did an excellent job.  He currently works with all kinds of automotive paints and clear coats.  He will travel to you to do your work.  He is first class.  If you are interested let me know and I'll get you in contact with him so that you can make your own arrangements.        KIX

Back
Top Bottom