Upcoming trailer purchase - opinions solicited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertaangler

Having asked the ? re: 'lite' and gleening that the answer is 'it depends', now.....
I'd be interested to hear pros and cons from various makes and models, keeping in mind that:
We'd prefer used, maybe 2001 onward.
We want a dedicated walk around bed
We think we'd like a couch
We'd like at least some counter space
We DO NOT want bunks
Maximum 25 feet , 24 or 24 1/2 w/b even better.
A microwave is useless to us - we don't even use one at home.
A large fresh water tank.

I've read other posts talking about horrid warranty and or repair issues and is seems there are brands/models to look into and some to stay far, far away from.

So, I'm all ears.

Personally i like Forrest River products but trailers don't matter as much they are essentially a box filled with appliances made by the same manufacturers.
You should be able to find many models that don't have bunks they will have more counter space and other features because the space isn't used on the bunks.

Couches and microwaves are pretty much universal. The microwave can be easily removed (usually 6 screws) then you have a storage shelf.
Usually the larger the trailer the larger the water tank minimum is about 20 gal. and most are 30.

Well, you know what they say about opinions...

Seriously, the question is so broad that answers are actually hard to give. Every manufacturer and model has some bad examples, so you can usually collect some tales of woe on anything. And there are literally hundreds of models, some regional and some national, that might fill your wants and needs. Your best bet is to look around at a LOT of trailers and get some ideas about what brands and models appeal to you. Then ask about those.

The first question to ask is what can your tow vehicle tow.  That depends on its tow rating and where in North America do you intend to tow it.

What have you got?

OK....
Will be towing with '97 F250 supercab diesel 4X4 (yes I've had since new and only 110,000 km) so not too worried about tongue or total weight, except for mileage.
Will be towing up and over various and numerous mountain ranges in Alberta and BC (Montana, Idaho) etc, and dragging into into lovely remote locations down dirt and gravel forestry roads - so durability is an issue.
we've kind of narrowed down to 2 options.
23' no slide, no bunks, walk around queen, a least 'some' counter space, lots of storage, small bathroom (essentially wasted space for us - the pit toilets are never far away), no a/c preferred as I am 6'2" so need all the headroom I can find.

If we have to go new we are looking at these : Dutchmen Sport 25F ;
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=feat&choice=cher&series=CherokeeGrey&nav=rec
Cherokee Grey Wolf 25RB

That old boy still ought drag some 13,000 lbs around the landscape nicely.  From your description you are wise to keep the trailer compact and simple.  Less to go wrong or fail off.

OK so the rv show is coming up this weekend and we are going in on Thursday - even made a couple of appointments with the biggest of the rv dealers.
We're still hoping for used, but there doesn't appear to be ton of dif  in asking price between new and 2 or 3 year old units.

I have compiled a list of trailers that have the floor plan we want, and I think are in about the same price range. All are pretty basic with no slides, no bunks.
So does anyone have any pros or cons about any of these particular models?

Dutchmen ? Sport 25F
Keystone - Springdale  232SRT
Coachman - Catalina 22FB
Jayco -  Jayflight 22FB
Jayco -  Jayflight G2  23FB
Forest River ? Cherokee, Grey wolf 25RB
Nash or Arctic Fox 25S

Thanks for any new input.

albertaangler said:
We're still hoping for used, but there doesn't appear to be ton of dif  in asking price between new and 2 or 3 year old units.
I know exactly what you are talking about.  That seems to be a common problem.  Especially for some brands.  Some people want what they paid, so they just sit on the classifieds for ever.  You have to be patient to get a good deal. Or bargain these delusional people down, which is often a waste of time.

My next trailer, I'll pick based on construction.  Plywood floor, frame strength, etc... I also like those trailers with the 8'6" width.

If you have not made your decision and purchased yet we would suggest checking Lakeshore Rv in Michigan. We just purchased our Outback from them and had it delivered last week. Their price was unbeatable, the salesman was terrific and we are very pleased.    Hope you find the rv of your dreams!!
p.s. their website is www.lakeshore-rv.com

albertaangler said:
no a/c preferred as I am 6'2" so need all the headroom I can find.

Albert, I'm 6'2" as well. I wouldn't be without the AC. It can get mighty danged hot in these critters. My AC does not diminish my headroom that much at all.

Bronco: Tks but a drive half way across the country isn't in the cards. None of the links on the site you referred work so couldn't get any info.

Brother:Tks for that. At this point we have no need for the a/c as all our camping is done at 4,00 foeet plus in early June and later September, so a good furnace is actually more critical. Not to say that a few years down the road we wouldn't need it as we have time to head south for at least part of the winter.

We're off the rv show tomorrow, and another city dealer is having their own 'no show sale' set up at a shopping mall parking lot enrout to the main 'show'.

I may have found a pretty good deal with maybe still some wiggle room.

albertaangler said:
OK so the rv show is coming up this weekend and we are going in on Thursday - even made a couple of appointments with the
So does anyone have any pros or cons about any of these particular models?
Dutchmen ? Sport 25F
Keystone - Springdale  232SRT
Coachman - Catalina 22FB
Jayco -  Jayflight 22FB
Jayco -  Jayflight G2  23FB
Forest River ? Cherokee, Grey wolf 25RB
Nash or Arctic Fox 25S

Personally, I don't like the quality of Dutchmen, Coachman or Forest River. Of what you have listed I would go for Nash/Arctic Fox first, Jayco second, and then maybe Keystone. But, hey, that's me.

My wife and I just purchased a R-Vision TS25S on Tuesday but is a little longer then what you are looking for but came at what we feel was an amazing price when we compared with other models at $18400 optioned very well. We too set out with the plan of buying used but the same model, no warranty in a 2008 with not as many options was being sold for 17,500 and could only be cut down to 16,900.00.

We had our heart originally set on the Catalina 22FB, loved the complete separate room but went with this model because of the weight. It may be obvious or not true at all that the Catalina was a better built RV being smaller and almost a 1000pds heavier but we did look over a TS25S and used the checklist found here and saw no issues.

Our RV build sheet was being sent today, wife was picking the interior colors and we should have it the first part of March

Home from the RV show. Man they sure do have some honkin' BIG units. Which we totally ignored.
Of course there were few of the models we wanted to peruse actually at the show so all we could do was assess fit and quality of the finishing etc.
In terms of quality of construction - at least of the bits you can see- I'd agree with x96 that the Arctic Fox is great. We have friends who own a Nash and others with an AF. But about 8k more than we want to spend.

Weren't terribly impressed with the Wilderness, Forest River, or Coachmen units we looked at.

The Jayco G2 23FB is now at the top of our list.
Now we just gotta pick a dealer and do some dickering.

Back
Top Bottom