What is considered fulltiming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glen54737

I was in the rv 250 days last year. Would an insurance company consider this fulltime?
I still have a House for "Home base" and always intend to return so residency isn't the issue (i hope).

I'm looking for new insurance and would like to know if i should get a fulltimer policy.

Most, if not all, non-fulltiming insurance policies on RVs will stipulate the maximum amount of time the vehicle can be used each year.  Typically this is 6 months.  Anything over that would be considered full time use.  Read the policy to find out exactly what your limits are.

Each insurance holder has a different number of days in order to consider you a full timer.  We are gone 5-6 months out of the year and our insurance company considers us full timers, even though we have a home.  The cost for upping the insurance policy to full time is not that much.  We have National Insurance and their increase was only $100 more a year.

Marsha~

My agent asked how many miles a year, not how many days.  I'll have to call.  My miles will be over this year.

Our agent never said anything about how many days, I was just told that as long as we keep our homeowners insurance with them our liability coverage follows us to the trailer so it would be a waist of money to get FT insurance to get the same coverage. Our agent also knows that we spend very little time at our home base and everything will be fine as long as we keep it  as our domicile.

Denny 

rvpuller said:
Our agent never said anything about how many days, I was just told that as long as we keep our homeowners insurance with them our liability coverage follows us to the trailer so it would be a waist of money to get FT insurance to get the same coverage. Our agent also knows that we spend very little time at our home base and everything will be fine as long as we keep it  as our domicile.

Denny
I have a question about this. From what I understand one of the extras you get in a full timers policy is a lodging allowance if your rig has to go into the shop for extensive repairs. That alone makes the extra $100 worth it to me. My agent told me it's going to depend on what I buy, there's isn't one set price, I did a couple quotes, one for a MH and one for a 5er, and there was a $75 difference. (MH was more)

Also just made a note to myself: Call my agent and ask if that only applies to an accident of if it covers normal repairs or major maintenance.

For those who do have it, does your policy cover lodging if it's just for major maintenance? If so, who's your carrier?

In our 13 years of full timing, we have only stayed in a motel twice, for one night each, due to coach service.  In all other cases, we've been able to spend the nights in our motorhome while it was worked on during the day.  Many repair facilities have partial or full hookups for their customers to use when the RV isn't in the shop.  I don't think insurance will cover lodging during normal maintenance, just accident repair.

My RV insurance covers lodging after an accident (not for routine repairs), independent of the Fulltimer coverage. It's called "trip interruption coverage".  For that matter, our car insurance has the same thing (different insurer).

The Fulltimer coverage (anything over 150 days in our case) on our coach only costs about $70/year, so its no big deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom