Traveling with dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stegosaurus

We have 2 Samoyed dogs and no kids, so these ARE our kids and we want to take them along.  Any information and tips about traveling with the would be appreciated.  Especially things like can they be left in the RV while the owners take hikes where dogs are prohibited etc.  I want to keep them safe but not break any rules.  They are both very quiet but we do have a training collar and remote (which we have never had to use).

Thanks

stegosaurus said:
We have 2 Samoyed dogs and no kids, so these ARE our kids and we want to take them along.  Any information and tips about traveling with the would be appreciated.  Especially things like can they be left in the RV while the owners take hikes where dogs are prohibited etc.  I want to keep them safe but not break any rules.  They are both very quiet but we do have a training collar and remote (which we have never had to use).Thanks

While rules might change regarding dogs from place to place, we've never had any problem RVing with our two doggies anywhere. I have left them alone many times in RV parks where there are signs that say "dogs cannot be left unattended". What this really translates to saying, IMO, is to make sure nobody notices. They are more worried about loud barking dogs and complaints. If there's no problem, there's no problem. Just make sure yours won't be a problem.

-Don- in Guangzhou, China​

DonTom said:
While rules might change regarding dogs from place to place, we've never had any problem RVing with our two doggies anywhere. I have left them alone many times in RV parks where there are signs that say "dogs cannot be left unattended". What this really translates to saying, IMO, is to make sure nobody notices. They are more worried about loud barking dogs and complaints. If there's no problem, there's no problem. Just make sure yours won't be a problem.

-Don- in Guangzhou, China​

From those of us that have listened to dogs bark and whine for hours while the owners left for the day, we thank you. Maybe your dogs are quiet but is that a good reason to not follow the rules? Personally I find "any" (not just "loud") barking dog irritating.

Stegosaurus,

We travel with a large standard poodle dog (70lbs).  If he can't go with us, he stays in the coach and doesn't cause a problem.  What you need to check on is the requirements of the campground.  Often they have a weight limit or a breed limit.  Some campground do not allow: rottweilers, doberman pinchers, chows  or pit bulls.  Or, no dogs over 30 lbs.

There are several prior discussions regarding dogs, you might want to do a search by clicking the "search" button.

Marsha~

Steg, There have been other discussions about hairy children here on the Forum. You might try a search for "dogs" and you should get some hits. Most of us who travel with our dogs are responsible parents. A couple of my rules include:

* ALWAYS pick up after your dog. Baggies are required in the pocket of any responsible dog owner.

* If your neighbors say that your "angel" barked while you were gone, believe them and ask if the dog was parking on occasion at something specific or if it was constant, incessant barking. Then take appropriate action.

* Don't assume that everyone loves the kids. Keep them under control.

Give your kids some skritches from me and hope we meet somewhere down the road at a dog park.

Wendy

We always travel with two German Shepperds RVing and boat camping also.
  We always stay at large site CGs in the RV, translation: rarely any hook-ups.
  We avoid activities/sites where dogs are not allowed: CA. Beaches or guided tours and concentrate on hiking or travelling by tow vehicle.
  We always remember our animals are our treasure, not to be locked in an RV and ignored or their behavior forced upon neighbors that don't necessarily share our views.
  Only one person has ever complained about our dogs: he was confronted by them as he was exiting our boat with a Marine Radio and Depth Finder in his hands. His complaints were deemed unsubstantial by the Park Rangers.

Having taken just one trip in our RV and having taken the pups with us I can tell you what happened on our first trip from the dogs point of view. There was alot more activity then they were used to. Alot of people walking and alot of other dogs walking and a ton of new sounds. One of our two went into what I call sensory overload. While normally she is very good and quiet she was abnormally stressed, especially when we left. It took a few days for us to be comfortable enough to leave them alone. We would lock up the RV and just sit outside listening. By the end of our time they were fine, but it did take some time for them to adjust. Think of your neighbors and have fun!

Attachments

• mocajava1.jpg
    mocajava1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 39
If your RV is at your house, have the dogs spend some time in it so they become accustomed to it. After they have been in it a few times, drive around the block to see how they like it. The more time they spend in it the better.

Thanks to all of you.  We don't want to leave the girls in the RV alone but I'm sure there will be times when they must be left there for short periods when both me and my wife are required to be somewhere that does not allow dogs inside.

As to barking or other noise,  I am sensitive about the problem of barking and suspect it can be as irritating as kids playing and yelling.  We have used bark collars in the past with other pets and find that the mere sight of them work once the dogs has had experience with the correction that it gives. ( I often wish the Fisher-Price made a similar unit for their customers)

We take our two small dog on every camping trip we go on. We have never had a problem and we always ask the camp ground managment about the rules for having pets in the camper when we are out  hiking. Most of the time we see most of the other campers have pets with then also.

Joezeppy said:
From those of us that have listened to dogs bark and whine for hours while the owners left for the day, we thank you. Maybe your dogs are quiet but is that a good reason to not follow the rules? Personally I find "any" (not just "loud") barking dog irritating.

It's often not possible to follow all the rules when RVing with a couple of dogs. For an example, rent a car while at a RV park. No dogs allowed in rented cars. So the dogs cannot be in the rented car, cannot be left outside, cannot be inside the RV. What do you suggest people do with their dogs under such situations?

-Don- Sha Tin, Hong Kong​

You may want to carry shot records as some parks require them.  Also, if you are traveling to Canada they require papers that must be completed by a vet.

Bill T

In my experience it depends on the dog and depends on the campground.

We stayed once at a group campground that was part of a county park, and they didn't allow dogs on the trails.  And because it was run by the county, the rules have the force of law and they can write tickets, in addition to asking you to leave.  Since the trails were pretty much the only way to get around the park, we had a problem.

I had one dog that could not be left alone anywhere besides the house.  He would bark.  It was a huge problem.  We just couldn't bring him on trips, losing battle, and we were trying to have fun and didn't want to spend 2 hours in the morning trying to train the dog.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom