ford excursion, towable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronmama5

hello everyone! new here and new to RVing...we have a '90 pace arrow 34' . i was wondering could we pull/tow a '91 ford excursion? has anyone done this or doing this? if so what do ya'll use to haul it? tia ;D

ronmama5 said:
hello everyone! new here and new to RVing...we have a '90 pace arrow 34' . i was wondering could we pull/tow a '91 ford excursion? has anyone done this or doing this? if so what do ya'll use to haul it? tia ;D
Welcome to the RV Forum.  First step is to check and confirm your Pace Arrow has the capability to legally tow the Excursion.  I'm not sure what the Excursion weighs but you do not want to exceed the GCWR of the motorhome.  Is the motorhome hitch rated to tow the weight of the Excursion (some motorhomes have hitches installed that are rated to pull 3000 lbs some rated for 5000 lbs and like ours 10,000 lbs.  Then check the owners manual for towing instructions.  If not in the manual ask the Ford dealer if the Excursion can be toad or call Remco for their opinion on towing the Excursion.  I am pretty sure some Excursions can be towed as I believe have seen them being towed.

As Ron suggested, there are two different issues:

• The towing capability of the Pace Arrow.
  • The ability of the Excursion to be towed.

You can get the first from the list of weight ratings which should be on a plate mounted somewhere in the coach. Mine happens to be on the interior wall next to the driver's seat. I also have a paper one posted in a bathroom closet. The following apply to my particular coach (FWIW I tow a Suburban - weighs 7,000 lbs - with a Monaco diesel motorhome).

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating):  42,800 lbs
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating):      32,800 lbs
Towing capacity:                                  10,000 lbs

The first two numbers are on the plate and the third is merely the difference between the two. Check the weight of the Excursion to be sure it's below the third number. If it is, you'll still need to check the rating on the hitch at the rear of the coach. (It's usually stated right on the hitch).

As Ron suggested, you should be able to find out from your owners manual if the Excursion can be towed. With 4WD vehicles it's usually just a matter of being able to put the transfer case in neutral. But check the manual to ensure there's no other requirement or restriction.

For a little more explanation of the weight ratings of a motorhome, click the Library button above, select RV-related how-to's and click Weight capacity calculations.

And hopefully you meant a '01 vice a '91, as there was no Excursion in '91.  I'll say one thing though, that will be the biggest toad I think I've seen.  That Excursion is a lot of vehicle.

LOL Carl. I suspect the Excursion is quite a bit heavier than the Burb.

Tom said:
LOL Carl. I suspect the Excursion is quite a bit heavier than the Burb.

Last week, up in Bishop, I saw a guy in a Discovery towing an H1 Hummer.  No mucking around in the low rent district for him.    Like I said, whole 'nuther level    ;D

Ford Excursion - Approx 9200 lbs.
H1 Hummer - Approx 7150 lbs.
H2 Hummer - Approx 8600 lbs.
Chevy Suburban - Approx 7000 lbs.

Interesting!

As I thought, that Excursion is a heavy vehicle.

I believe that 9200 lbs is the MAXIMUM GVW for an Excursion.  Curb weight (i.e. no passengers or gear onboard) will be somewhere around 7700-7800, depending on any optional equipment.  That is far too much weight for a Pace to tow - the Pace is almost surely limited to about 4000 lbs and probably working hard to handle that. You need to be thinking in terms of a Suzuki Grand Vitara or maybe a Jeep Liberty.  Don't try the Excursion.

RV Roamer said:
the Pace is almost surely limited to about 4000 lbs

That's about what I would think the limit is too Gary, based on our old Pace, albeit ours was older.

Bottom line is the 90 pace arrow might pull the 91 Excursion but NOT legally, safely, comfortably, dependably, and probably not for long.  A 9000 lb vehcile is just too much to tow.  IMHO I don't believe it would be wise or safe to even try it.

RV Roamer said:
I believe that 9200 lbs is the MAXIMUM GVW for an Excursion.? Curb weight (i.e. no passengers or gear onboard) will be somewhere around 7700-7800, depending on any optional equipment.? That is far too much weight for a Pace to tow - the Pace is almost surely limited to about 4000 lbs and probably working hard to handle that. You need to be thinking in terms of a Suzuki Grand Vitara or maybe a Jeep Liberty.? Don't try the Excursion.

That 9200 lbs is the "average" weight, according to the web page.  Don't know what is included in "average".  But I know it's a lot bigger and heavier than the Suburban and most other vehicles.  And y'all are right, probably too much at any of the weights to be a proper toad.

We tow a Honda CRV because when we purchased it we had a 37' Pace. It's empty weight is a little over 3100#s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom