More electrical problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLeppik

Well it seems bisides the reversed tank meter when I got home today the NEW travel trailer had the right brake light on??  The trailer is not hooked up to a vehicle.  Trailer plugged into 110 and trailer battery.  I removed each fuse one at a time and threw each breaker and the light stayed on.  It would only go out when I disconnected the on board battery and removed the 110 power source..."good thing or I would think this thing is haunted".

The trailer had only been on the road for less than two weeks. I have towed it for about 2500 miles and the right brake light had not been stuck on before.

Any suggestions of what might be in common with a wayward brake light as far as circuitry goes?

Thanks

Doug

Doug,
What type of trailer? Were any other lights on, i.e. parking/marker. None of the internal trailer systems should share any circuitry with the vehicle external lighting. The only place that they come together MAY be the breakaway switch for the trailer brakes. Most trailers do not actuate the lights when this switch is activated but some may.  Follow the steel wire rope cord that you hook to your tow vehicle back under the tongue of the trailer. If you have a fifth wheel, this switch may be located in the front utility compartment. When you find the switch, check to see if the pull cord is snagged or stuck thereby actuating the switch. If not, look at the switch where you'll see two wires. One will be "hot" and one should show no voltage. If both wires show voltage, then this may be your problem. More likely, there is a stray wire in your cord connector to the tow vehicle allowing contact between the 12V supply wire and the brake lamp. Check the cord for crushed or damaged spots before you take the connector apart. Let me know what you find. This one is a little unusual.
Q

Quasi has got it right on - the only legit way for that brake light to come on is if the breakaway(emergency stop) switch has been pulled. But if it has, then both brake lights would be on and the trailer brakes locked, so that's unlikely.  One (and only one) brake light will often come on if there is stray current leaking into the running light system and there is no ground path back to the tow vehicle.  Trace the wiring that normally connects to your tow vehicle back towards the lights. Somewhere it is shorting against another power line - and that is probably why you have other electrical problems as well.  Two or more wires pinched together somewhere is a likely scenario.

Since your rig is new, any dealer for the brand should be able to fix it for you under warranty.

Thanks for your help.  This is a Work and Play 28 foot toy hauler travel trailer.  It is made by Forest River. 

I thought about the brake away switch and saw that it was not pulled out.  I will check it for voltage today.  It is only the right brakelight on, I suspect more than likely it is the right turn signal or both brake lights would be on.  After checking the brake away switch I guess I will pull the connector apart and see how that it is.

I will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks

Doug

Well, the problem was in the trailer 7 pin connector.  This was one of those molded plugs that you cant take apart but testing showed two hot wires the one from the trailer battery and a brown which is R turn/Stop.  I disconnected the brown wire at a junction box near the trailer tongue and the Right brake light that was stuck on went out.  I replaced the molded plug with a new one and all is now well.

Amazing that this happend while the trailer was sitting idle and with this molded plug. I cut the plug open and it was wired pretty solid but the brown and black were right next to each other and must have been touching.

Thanks for the input.

Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom